Where do Princess ships dock for a San Francisco port call?

Vexorg

I know that cruise ships dock at pier 39 in San Francisco when using it as a homeport. I will be on a Sapphire Princess cruise in September that will be making a port call to San Francisco, and I was wondering if the ships dock in a different location for these, or if they dock in the same place.

You are slightly off with Pier #. Pier 39 is a tourist pier (also home of the Seals -- the real ones). But Princess ships dock at either Pier 35 or Pier 27. Walking times are: Pier 35 to 39: 6 min. Pier 27 to Pier 35: 6 min. Pier 27 to 39: 12 min. From Pier 39 to Fisherman's Wharf: 7 or 8 min.

I know that cruise ships dock at pier 39 in San Francisco when using it as a homeport. I will be on a Sapphire Princess cruise in September that will be making a port call to San Francisco, and I was wondering if the ships dock in a different location for these, or if they dock in the same place.

Here's a link to the Port of San Francisco web pages. The Sapphire Princess will dock at Pier 27, which is the pier they almost always use for Princess ships now. That pier is wired so that the ships can plug into power instead of using their engines.

• 6 months later...

I am thinking about booking this same cruise and wondered if port or oceanview view for enjoying the Golden Gate Bridge is better while you are docked in San Francisco?

Thanks!

I am thinking about booking this same cruise and wondered if port or oceanview view for enjoying the Golden Gate Bridge is better while you are docked in San Francisco?

Thanks!

I have seen ships docked with both sides to the dock, and thus facing the GGB. However starboard side is more common.

As fog may block your view, I wouldn't book a cabin for the sole reason of viewing the GGB.

I disagree, ships haven't docked at Pier 39 for probably 50 years. Pier 35 was used for a long time. But with preparations for the Americas Cup going on, there will be some flexibility with piers.

• 2 weeks later...

May 2012 I believe the Sapphire Princess will dock at pier 35, that is what is currently on the port schedule.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this up with some updated info. Just got off the Sapphire Princess Coastal Cruise and the ship docked about a 3 minute walk form the Alcatraz dock.

Warning: If you are on a cruise that goes (south) to Ensenada first, you will clear customs in San Francisco. Even though the ship docked before 7 we were not able to disembark until after 9:15 and had to run like crazy people to make our 9:30 boat to Alcatraz. If your cruise is heading north first you won't have this problem.

• 4 months later...
when docked in SF is the ship pull straight in or back in? I'm wondering what the view will be from an aft balcony.

As mentioned back in post #5, the ships can dock either way. Yes , bow in is most common. But either way can be done. I wouldn't ever book a cabin based on docking side.

Archived