When was your first cruise?

crusing_guy

My first cruise was in 1977....It was a senior class trip from high school. We left out of New Orleans on a ship called the Kazakhstan. It was a Russian cruise ship and from what I remember most of the crew were Russians. Just trying to see who else has cruised such a long time ago.

Our first cruise was out of Miami on the Dolphin in the early 80's, a very small but wonderful ship. We then started going out of New Orleans because we live about four hours away. Sailed many time on the old Enchanted Isle, we loved that ship. Now after 60+ cruises, we still sail out of N.O. and Mobile a lot. Never had a cruise we did not enjoy.

1972 Song of Norway RCL from Miami, before the addition was added to make her longer and bigger. Even as a young lad I loved the view from the Viking Crown lounge, they even let me sit at the bar and have a coke :D.

However I remember my 1977 Cruise on the Cunard Countess from San Jaun more, I was older but it was the week Elvis died.

Compared to even the Fantasy class ships the 1970's cruise ships look more like large motor yachts.

In many ways I miss the smaller ships.

My first cruise was not so long ago-2006. You folks are so lucky to have started early. Cruising was on my "dream" list-not so much my husbands. My son was taking his family and included us. DH was one of these who dreaded it like a toothache. Got him on the ship and now he's the one who says book the next cruise.:p

Our first cruise was in 1993 on Celbrity Zenith...that was when it was not owned by Royal Caribbean, so it was very, very service oriented. We thought the ship was huge when we arrived at the dock. Later on it seemed so small, but we had a great time and we have been hooked on cruising ever since!

1972, Home Lines Homeric. single cabin with porthole, sink in cabin but bathroom/showers down the hall. I thought it was heaven. EM

HAHA..not to hijack this thread..but this made me laugh. Because what you described sounds like what my aunt describes as her first cruise. She went with her sister who had been on a lot of cruises by that point. My one aunt thought that this was wonderful. The one who had been on cruises just kept thinking that it felt like they were on garbage barge.

We took our first cruise to celebrate our 25th Anniversary way back in 1996 and have been addicted ever since! :D We did the Southern Caribbean on Imagination sailing from San Juan. In January, we are doing our fourth Southern itinerary.. we just love the port intensive cruises!

My first cruise was in 1979 on the Scandinavian Sea Escape. It was a beautiful ship that also held cars on two lower decks. The idea was to go on a 7 day cruise from NY to Florida (3.5 down and 3.5 back). The ship left NY for the Bahamas where you would get on anther Ship/ferry to either Port Canaveral or Miami. You could stay in Florida for a s long as you like. We took our car down and spent a week in Florida for what turned out to be a great two week vacation.

My family and I have been on eight other cruises since then. I can't say that I have been encouraged on the direction the cruise industry has taken the last decade. More passengers less space, lower quality of food, and now on some ships you have start making reservations for shows before you go!

Always wanted to go on the Love Boat as a little kid but didn't realize "regular people" could actually do that. After all, all those famous people were on there every week LOL.

First cruise was May 2004 on Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas, right after it had been refurbished and renamed from Nordic Empress. In fact, I don't think the refurb was entirely complete at the time we sailed. Was the smallest ship in the Royal fleet at that time and not long after was transferred to one of their European affiliates I believe.

2001 on the Sovereign of the Seas......I think I was amazed at the ship and had fun, but was let down my the activities available for us 17-18 year olds. The parents that went with us actually asked if we wanted Carnival or Royal and they kind of swayed us towards Royal (on purpose, I think) and now that I know what Carnival is........I think we got shafted by the old people, lol. It was still fun though, but I had to wait four years for my next one and then 2 years for my next one.........now I'm down to about 1 year apart.

It was in 1970 on a 3 day cruise from Miami to Nassau Bahamas. I was 12 years old at the time and remember staying out till 1 am on the first nite.

I asked my parents why they weren't worried about me the next morning and my father said "where are you going to go we're on a cruise ship" Boy times were different back then.

My first cruise was in January 2009 on Carnival Sensation. It was a Christmas present for my two girls (age 12 at the time). All of us love cruising, and in August we'll be going on our 3rd cruise with Carnival. :D

My first cruise was in 1977....It was a senior class trip from high school. We left out of New Orleans on a ship called the Kazakhstan. It was a Russian cruise ship and from what I remember most of the crew were Russians. Just trying to see who else has cruised such a long time ago.

1978 was MY senior trip on the Carnival Carnivale. 4 to a room in metal bunks, but I never slept there. Slept out on deck under the stars. Do they even allow that anymore? They sure don't allow senior trips like that anymore! I wasn't even 18 yet--never did see the chaperones, lol. What happens on a cruise stays on a cruise....

Archived