removing balcony divider on hump

riandei

does anyone know if you can removed the balcony divider on hump cabins ??

we have the 1st hump and a non hump and want to removed the divider if possible

thanks in advance

If you're referring to the balcony dividers on S class ships, they can't be removed, but the cabin attendant can open them providing the people on both sides agree and the seas aren't rough. The dividers are glass and they've apparently had a few problems in very rough seas. They swing open and are attached to the fixed balcony divider. A nice feature if you're traveling with friends.

The other interesting feature of balcony doors we learned on the Eclipse is that you can no longer accidentally lock yourself out on the balcony. The doors will open from the outside even if they're in the locked position.

We had two rooms on the hump on the Equinox. I've posted a picture of the glass partition opened so you can see how the balconies connect. It sounds like you have one cabin on the angled part of the hump and one that's not, but I would assume you can still open the glass partition.

2ngr2a9.jpg

If you're referring to the balcony dividers on S class ships, they can't be removed, but the cabin attendant can open them providing the people on both sides agree and the seas aren't rough. The dividers are glass and they've apparently had a few problems in very rough seas. They swing open and are attached to the fixed balcony divider. A nice feature if you're traveling with friends.

The other interesting feature of balcony doors we learned on the Eclipse is that you can no longer accidentally lock yourself out on the balcony. The doors will open from the outside even if they're in the locked position.

Maybe this is silly, but one if someone (who was up to no good) swung or climbed onto your balcony from next door or a few doors down. They could get into your room even if it's locked?!?

Maybe this is silly, but one if someone (who was up to no good) swung or climbed onto your balcony from next door or a few doors down. They could get into your room even if it's locked?!?

That is a bit of a small risk, and besides on S-Class ships there are over 800 CCTV cameras including one on each side of the bridge wings facing back that can see every single balcony. So if someone did climb in to your balcony, it would be pretty easy to track where they came from.

Yup.

Actually, I believe I read once that there is some sort of additional locking feature on those doors up at the top. We weren't concerned about that issue, so didn't check into it. We were concerned about getting locked out on the balcony, as that has happened before, so that's why we tested the doors for that issue.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

We had two rooms on the hump on the Equinox. I've posted a picture of the glass partition opened so you can see how the balconies connect. It sounds like you have one cabin on the angled part of the hump and one that's not, but I would assume you can still open the glass partition.

2ngr2a9.jpg

did you actually have a hump balcony ... (larger) or were you on the front of the hump in these photos ???...these look like standard balconies and I just want to make sure I can remove the glass on ours ......

i believe we are also considered obstructed view ...would that make a difference???

thnx

If by hump you mean on the angle then yes, you can still open the divider. If you have a look at this picture the glass partition on the left is the one between the normal size balcony next door and the larger one. You can see the gap that runs along the top to reflect the full size of the balcony next door.

2718364630054958397S600x600Q85.jpg

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

There is an actual true lock inside the cabin that can be activated only form inside, so you *could* get locked out, but it would have to be from someone inside intentionally locking the door (just like a sliding glass door in your house) but when it is not activated, you can open the balcony doors from the outside.

The other "lock" people are referring to is really just a catch on the balcony door to keep it from sliding open and it can be actuated from either inside or outside.

Personally, the door are so heavy that unless the seas are VERY rough, the door isn't going to open by itself. At least on the Equinox.

did you actually have a hump balcony ... (larger) or were you on the front of the hump in these photos ???...these look like standard balconies and I just want to make sure I can remove the glass on ours ......

i believe we are also considered obstructed view ...would that make a difference???

thnx

We were in 6224 and 6226 so we were right in the center of the hump, not on the angle. But as Excitedofharpenden's photo shows, the same sort of glass partitions exist on the angled balconies. Also the glass isn't removed, just folded back (you can see it behind my DD who is reading the book in the photo).

thanks everyone for your responses ... this helps !!

last cruise we sailed Aqual with a hump cabin and had enough room for the 6 of us for happy hour ...

this year sadly our 2d obstructed cabin is more than we paid for AQua last year

I'm concerned about the obstructed 2d on the hump as it looks like the tenders are in front of us ... these seem larger than the lifeboats and it appears we will be looking at them every morning for a week ... but if we are able to open up our 3 cabins ... we may be able to have happy hour on which ever balcony has the LEAST obstructed view

thanks again

• 1 year later...

Hi JungleJane,

We are booked in 6224 in April. Can you look down from the balcony and see into the water. I have heard that some of the balconies are obstructed when looking down.

Also how often when you opened cabin door to 6224 did you have people looking into your room either on elevator or waitin for elevator? Is it a very busy place?

Thanks

Don

We were in 6224 and 6226 so we were right in the center of the hump, not on the angle. But as Excitedofharpenden's photo shows, the same sort of glass partitions exist on the angled balconies. Also the glass isn't removed, just folded back (you can see it behind my DD who is reading the book in the photo).

• 5 years later...
This is the high up lock that would hopefully keep young children off the balcony unsupervised...

enhance

You twist it to lock

enhance

In all my cruises, I've seen this button but had no idea what it was for and wasn't even curious (DH would say...not like me...LOL). Thanks for the info..I'll check it next cruise.;)

Yup.

Actually, I believe I read once that there is some sort of additional locking feature on those doors up at the top. We weren't concerned about that issue, so didn't check into it. We were concerned about getting locked out on the balcony, as that has happened before, so that's why we tested the doors for that issue.

We got locked out on our balcony on M Class ship once. The S Class ships have door handles on the inside out outside. There is a white lock button on the center post up high. Most dividers can be folded back on S Class ships. M Class ship deck 11 A1 cabins. Most dividers cant be opened on the M Class ships.