How much to tip for room service

cafediem

No I dont tip the steward for demonstrating how a light switch works.

They are always around. Every time you leave your cabin they appear. (just like the shop keeper in Mr Ben).... as if by magic.

You normally tip them when you order room service and if you like you leave a envelope for them when you vacate your room.

This might be a stupid question but I am from Finland and we don't have "tipping culture" like in States.

So you actually tip extra for room service eventhough you also pay gratuities?

My thoughts exactly from the UK ---- am so glad we go to Lapland in February ( we know what we're doing there!) ;)

Please don't use $2 bills....no one likes them, unless it's a bank! Give them easy to spend currency!

The gratuities don't cover room service delivery....it does cover your room attendant (no need to tip additionally (or at all) until the last night of the cruise), your waiter, ass't. waiter and head waiter.

Bar tabs or any drink you have to pay for will have 15% added to the cost.

The comments vis-a-vis included tips are interesting, since in high season here in SWFL many restaurants automatically add the tip in the amount of 20 % to the bill.

Wow. I'd never go there. I'm really not a fan of prepaying for service and it's definitely not a tip then if it's mandatory.

I rarely have bad service on a cruise, but I've definitely had bad service in land restaurants and I'd definitely not tip 20% if I was unhappy with things.

We tip depending on the size of the order, probably $1-$3. I agree it seems a little off to me to tip more for one delivery of room service as it is suggested that we give to our stateroom attendant for a whole day of taking care of our room. Not that there is anything wrong with being generous if you want to, but I don't think that is the average tip.

Wow. I'd never go there. I'm really not a fan of prepaying for service and it's definitely not a tip then if it's mandatory.

I rarely have bad service on a cruise, but I've definitely had bad service in land restaurants and I'd definitely not tip 20% if I was unhappy with things.

We tip depending on the size of the order, probably $1-$3. I agree it seems a little off to me to tip more for one delivery of room service as it is suggested that we give to our stateroom attendant for a whole day of taking care of our room. Not that there is anything wrong with being generous if you want to, but I don't think that is the average tip.

The restaurant folks advise that they feel that this is necessary due to the fact that many wintertime non-american visitors do not tip.

On my Equinox cruise all of my room service deliveries were made by my cabin steward who is covered by the auto tips. That said, I still give him/her $2 per person per delivery. I also usually tip my cabin steward extra at the end of the cruise. Yes, I leave the auto tips in place.

On my Equinox cruise all of my room service deliveries were made by my cabin steward who is covered by the auto tips. That said, I still give him/her $2 per person per delivery. I also usually tip my cabin steward extra at the end of the cruise. Yes, I leave the auto tips in place.

The autotip is for basic cabin steward-type activities, such as cleaning the room. Not everyone indulges in room service, nor those that do will do so at the same level, so tips for room service are considered above and beyond.

You're doing right by the steward by tipping the extra $2. I just want to make it clear for anyone else reading the post that room service by the cabin steward is not covered by the autotip.

The whole “tipping” culture, rather American in my opinion, really confuses me!! Since 15% of the price normally makes up the tip, a coffee on board must cost almost $14 to earn a $2 tip and breakfast $33 for $5 tip!!

Among many reasons why I booked Celebrity as my first cruise (sailing soon!!) are its stress-free prepaid tip system and free room service. So, I am amazed to read the messages about tips for room service and the expectation of leaving even more tips for others during and at the end of the cruise!

According to the breakdown, one must pay $6.75 (per person) for three people for restaurant service. I hope I will soon learn the values of waiter, assistant waiter and restaurant management that make them deserve more than the man/lady cleans my room. I do not suppose I will be entitled to a refund if I eat at the buffet every day.

If I had a wonderful dinning experience (good food and great service), I go back as often as I can and recommend it to my friends and relatives to keep the business running. I am not sure the idea of tipping waiters so that they will not sneeze in my food or drinks makes sense.

I was in New York recently. Taxi drivers demand at least 15% of the fare more as tip and we did not have any luggage with us. I did not see anybody tip bus drivers and many bus drivers got off their seat to assist elderly and handicaps to get on buses. In our domestic flights in the US, we did not see anybody tip the flight attendants when they brought us drinks and food either.

What I also find rather amusing is that there are tons of messages about getting the best cruise deals and how to save money on board (so I am not the only cheapskate). In fact, all the extra tipping on a long cruise may just make up the discount one gets on the cost of the cruise!!

I am not object to anybody who is willing and able to reward others with cash or gifts for whatever they receive. I just find it odd that others are forced to follow suit otherwise they will be treated less.

Recently, on a podcast from NPR's Planet Money, they provided historical background and an analysis of studies related to the tipping "issue".

Interestingly, one point made was that initially, when tipping began in the 17th Century English Coffee Houses, the amount was paid before the service to ensure promptness. This seems to make some sense and supports some earlier posters who suggest tipping at the beginning of a cruise.

For those of us who tip after service, some studies suggest that the amount may well be influenced by extraneous factors such as how nice is the weather. Moreover, an argument was made that feelings of guilt play a significant role in our tipping habits, an aspect which might well suggest why servers etc. try very hard to establish a rapport.

Personally, I have no problem with accepting guilt as a motivator as I am well aware the role that luck has played in any success I have enjoyed.

On a practical note, $2. to $5. for room service seems about right since it is above and beyond regular duties. But, like many, I find the whole tipping issue stressful especially when performing currency conversions.

Doesn't anyone think $5 is excessive? I think $1-$2 at most for room service. If we get breakfast daily, I can only think of possibly one time per cruise that it wasn't delivered by the steward or the butler that we are also paying a daily gratuity to as well.

I also, however, seem to tip more often than others, for instance when someone carries my tray in the buffet, or extra for alcoholic drinks or if I know I'll be getting 3 waters at that seating from the water package.

I'll agree that cruisers especially seem to put so much emotionally into the tipping as to the servers background and not actually the service.

The whole “tipping” culture, rather American in my opinion, really confuses me!! Since 15% of the price normally makes up the tip, a coffee on board must cost almost $14 to earn a $2 tip and breakfast $33 for $5 tip!!

Among many reasons why I booked Celebrity as my first cruise (sailing soon!!) are its stress-free prepaid tip system and free room service. So, I am amazed to read the messages about tips for room service and the expectation of leaving even more tips for others during and at the end of the cruise!

According to the breakdown, one must pay $6.75 (per person) for three people for restaurant service. I hope I will soon learn the values of waiter, assistant waiter and restaurant management that make them deserve more than the man/lady cleans my room. I do not suppose I will be entitled to a refund if I eat at the buffet every day.

If I had a wonderful dinning experience (good food and great service), I go back as often as I can and recommend it to my friends and relatives to keep the business running. I am not sure the idea of tipping waiters so that they will not sneeze in my food or drinks makes sense.

I was in New York recently. Taxi drivers demand at least 15% of the fare more as tip and we did not have any luggage with us. I did not see anybody tip bus drivers and many bus drivers got off their seat to assist elderly and handicaps to get on buses. In our domestic flights in the US, we did not see anybody tip the flight attendants when they brought us drinks and food either.

What I also find rather amusing is that there are tons of messages about getting the best cruise deals and how to save money on board (so I am not the only cheapskate). In fact, all the extra tipping on a long cruise may just make up the discount one gets on the cost of the cruise!!

I am not object to anybody who is willing and able to reward others with cash or gifts for whatever they receive. I just find it odd that others are forced to follow suit otherwise they will be treated less.

I'm sorry you find the tipping culture offensive. Perhaps there are things about your culture which Americans would find offensive. I find it offensive that you suggest that the waiters would sneeze in your food or your drinks.

To me, the point of being a good traveler is to be sensitive to the culture wherever you are. The culture is what it is.

No, you won't be entitled to a refund if you eat in the buffet every day. The waiters who work in the main dining room also serve you in the buffet.

And you may be a cheapskate if you wish. The people on board will still provide you with excellent service. Even though the "culture" is that they only get paid $50/month and depend on tips for their livelihood.

Doesn't anyone think $5 is excessive? I think $1-$2 at most for room service. If we get breakfast daily, I can only think of possibly one time per cruise that it wasn't delivered by the steward or the butler that we are also paying a daily gratuity to as well.

I also, however, seem to tip more often than others, for instance when someone carries my tray in the buffet, or extra for alcoholic drinks or if I know I'll be getting 3 waters at that seating from the water package.

I'll agree that cruisers especially seem to put so much emotionally into the tipping as to the servers background and not actually the service.

If you think a $5 tip is excessive, then don't do it. I don't understand why you wish to discourage those who are generous with those who wait on them.

@memis5: I do believe some people go 'overboard' on the tipping. If you have someone deliver coffee to your stateroom, who may be a totally different person from your room steward, it would be polite to tip them a dollar or so; other than that, if you have prepaid your tips, there is no need to tip anyone else. So in no way will your tipping equal the cost of your discount. On a Med cruise, we had a nice young lady drop off our coffee each morning--she was in and gone in a flash. On the last morning, I had to slow her down to hand her $20 for the entire cruise.

If your room steward or waiter gives you EXCEPTIONAL service and you feel so inclined, there is a system in place to do so. Otherwise, your prepaid amount is a done deal.

I don't think people find find the tipping culture offensive, more like confusing.

We in the UK and probably most of Europe don't have the same culture as those in the good old USA, when it comes to tipping.

I think it is what you are used to, personally coming from a non tipping society, I have no issues tipping $2-$5 depending on what I ordered. Regardless of the auto tip, I am happy to tip for room service.

I can understand how those who come from a tipping background can see how non tippers look a little mean. On the other hand, us non tippers don't feel that everything needs a tip.

I do firmly believe that ones food may potentially be targeted for a little retaliation by staff if you have upset or disappointed them prior. Perhaps not everyone and im not implying its a policy, but I know how waiters are in some restaurants and im not so naive to think that behind closed doors all stewards are perfectly behaved.

If you think a $5 tip is excessive, then don't do it. I don't understand why you wish to discourage those who are generous with those who wait on them.

Meow! LOL

I'm not discouraging anyone. We travel extensively and cruising is just a small part of that. Someone is asking and I'm providing an opinion contrary to those who tip because they 'think' someone is paid an undesirable wage. I tip based on service, and yes, I do generally tip more than suggested. But that's for me personally, and based on service received, not because of someone's salary.

$5 for each trip into the room with a tray is, in my experience, an excessive tip. And I do honestly think suggested something of that amount is more so done to make others follow that person's tipping logic or make the person suggesting it look better somehow. I'm curious if those who tip $5 per meal or coffee for each room service visit also would do so accordingly to the man who pumps their gas, delivers an eight dollar pizza, your mailman, etc.

I'm sorry you find the tipping culture offensive. Perhaps there are things about your culture which Americans would find offensive. I find it offensive that you suggest that the waiters would sneeze in your food or your drinks.

To me, the point of being a good traveler is to be sensitive to the culture wherever you are. The culture is what it is.

No, you won't be entitled to a refund if you eat in the buffet every day. The waiters who work in the main dining room also serve you in the buffet.

And you may be a cheapskate if you wish. The people on board will still provide you with excellent service. Even though the "culture" is that they only get paid $50/month and depend on tips for their livelihood.

Just want to remind you that we already paid 183.58 Euro as tips even before the cruis begins.

Although the cruise may be owned by American companies, it sails internationally and I assume there are many foreign travellers on board. Is imposing the extra tipping on foreigners who are sailing in Europ or anywhere other than in the US sensitive and respectful to others' culture?

I am not conviced that tipping is the key to solve wage issue.

Finally, I am not suggesting that waiters sneeze in food or drink. I read every single message posted here and it was mentioned/used by one of the members.

The whole “tipping” culture, rather American in my opinion, really confuses me!! Since 15% of the price normally makes up the tip, a coffee on board must cost almost $14 to earn a $2 tip and breakfast $33 for $5 tip!! Since I think I'm the one who had suggested it would be appropriate to base the tip on the amount you might have otherwise paid in a restaurant, let me address this one. I had said at least $1 for coffee in the morning-- keeping it simple, a dollar bill is the smallest unit you can go, unless you want to start handing out coins. As for $5 for a full breakfast, it's a little high compared with the relative cost of the breakfast, where I might tip $2 or $3, but I also said I do it in part because I know how little the stewards are paid and it helps establish in their mind that we're not going to turn out to be cheap buggers.

Among many reasons why I booked Celebrity as my first cruise (sailing soon!!) are its stress-free prepaid tip system and free room service. So, I am amazed to read the messages about tips for room service and the expectation of leaving even more tips for others during and at the end of the cruise! The autotip should be considered a minimum, part of their basic living wage. If a server goes above and beyond basic expectations, they deserve more.

According to the breakdown, one must pay $6.75 (per person) for three people for restaurant service. I hope I will soon learn the values of waiter, assistant waiter and restaurant management that make them deserve more than the man/lady cleans my room. I do not suppose I will be entitled to a refund if I eat at the buffet every day. The tips include a portion that goes to the servers in the buffet. You could make the argument that if you only ate in the buffet and never used the MDR, the amount should be less because you're receiving a reduced amount of service, but it would be difficult to determine that.

If I had a wonderful dinning experience (good food and great service), I go back as often as I can and recommend it to my friends and relatives to keep the business running. I am not sure the idea of tipping waiters so that they will not sneeze in my food or drinks makes sense. While this might conceivably happen, it happens only rarely in real life or in the movies. Someone suggested this possibility earlier in the thread, but I think they meant it more tongue-in cheek. It does make the point that if you really piss off a waiter, they do have this insidious way of exacting a measure of revenge. If caught doing it, they would soon be booted off the ship, so I highly doubt this happening on any cruise ship. Hopefully, I'm not being naive.

I was in New York recently. Taxi drivers demand at least 15% of the fare more as tip and we did not have any luggage with us. I did not see anybody tip bus drivers and many bus drivers got off their seat to assist elderly and handicaps to get on buses. In our domestic flights in the US, we did not see anybody tip the flight attendants when they brought us drinks and food either. Bus drivers and flight attendants are paid a full wage. Taxi drivers and waitstaff depend on tips as a major source of their income. Don't ask me why it's like that, but it is what it is.

What I also find rather amusing is that there are tons of messages about getting the best cruise deals and how to save money on board (so I am not the only cheapskate). In fact, all the extra tipping on a long cruise may just make up the discount one gets on the cost of the cruise!! I think it's the distinction between RCCL getting more of my hard-earned money than I'd like to part with and some guy from a third-world country who's working for poverty-scale wages, by our standards. Him, he (usually) deserves more, and it's hard to accept the usual smiling standard of service while knowing that there's too many people who would never even consider giving him a little something extra. In part I tip more to help make up for cheapskates who don't feel it necessary.

Overall, I would prefer that everyone be paid a decent living wage and tips be done away with. Unfortunately, it's a hidden cost that would otherwise increase the base price of the cruise, and most people shopping for a cruise won't make the distinction between a cruise line that charges $200 more than another cruise line that still relies on tipping for a portion of the pay for their staff. They'll only see that the first cruise line appears at first glance to be more expensive.

I find it offensive that you suggest that the waiters would sneeze in your food or your drinks.

The comment about sneezing in food was, I think, in response to an earlier post--

depends on what we order.

but between $2 and $5,

they do remember who you are and I wonder what discussions take place behind closed doors about guests.

keep them sweet and they won't sneeze in your coffee.

Archived