Trivia Onboard

msk68

Greetings,

I'm a first time Celebrity cruiser having been on several Cunard voyages. I always love Trivia in every description. Most sessions are played in the 'Pub' area on Cunard ships using paper and pencil.

I was intrigued to read this blurb on the Celebrity website - What type of electronics are used. Is it like Buzzword at bars and restaurants?

Trivia Contests Have a blast challenging your knowledge of a wide variety of topics using our new electronic interactive trivia system. Activities range from Daily Trivia to full-on Game Shows & Trivia Tournaments.

Also what is this I read about people bringing notebooks with the old answers in them? Seriously? What type of fun is that? Why don't the MCs stop them from using these notebooks? Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest, I just don't get the cheating thing.

Looking forward to the Celebrity experience in a few weeks. I've heard it is fantastic!

Morrie

Greetings,

I'm a first time Celebrity cruiser having been on several Cunard voyages. I always love Trivia in every description. Most sessions are played in the 'Pub' area on Cunard ships using paper and pencil.

I was intrigued to read this blurb on the Celebrity website - What type of electronics are used. Is it like Buzzword at bars and restaurants?

Trivia Contests Have a blast challenging your knowledge of a wide variety of topics using our new electronic interactive trivia system. Activities range from Daily Trivia to full-on Game Shows & Trivia Tournaments.

Also what is this I read about people bringing notebooks with the old answers in them? Seriously? What type of fun is that? Why don't the MCs stop them from using these notebooks? Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest, I just don't get the cheating thing.

Looking forward to the Celebrity experience in a few weeks. I've heard it is fantastic!

Morrie

As to the second part of your question, there were a group of very frequent cruisers who were writing questions down in notebooks and taking them to the trivia contests. They were at the time allowed to bascially have open book contests. A lot of people were really ticked including myself so I stopped going. All this to win a key chain.

Celebrity has apparently put an end to this practice.

I have enjoyed the triva contests on the Celebrity ships. The ones that I have played have mostly been the traditional type. On a few contests they did use a video screen for visual questions. The blurb you quote, however, sounds like something new.

I have enjoyed the triva contests on the Celebrity ships. The ones that I have played have mostly been the traditional type. On a few contests they did use a video screen for visual questions. The blurb you quote, however, sounds like something new.

Greetings! I love your website! My travel agent, Nancy sent it to me when we were trying to decide who to take to Bermuda. It has helped me get a good understanding of Celebrity since we are first timers. I believe we also have mutual friends who just moved to New Hampshire?

Thanks for your feedback!

Morrie

On our April sailing on Equinox they were trying out an electronic system. Each guest is given a keyboard, broken into teams and asked multiple choice questions sort of like the Ask the Audience save on Millionaire or the way trivia is played in bars. The computer then records the answers and awards points to teams accordingly. The general consensus among the players present was that they felt like they were taking an exam in school individually and preferred the interaction of team trivia where guest can confer and come up with one answer for the team.

Greetings,

Morrie

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO msk68: Welcome to Celebrity Cruise Line. You should enjoy this Cruise Line even more than Cunard. You will find most trivia here uses a pencil and paper and is played in the Theater not the pub. Last year my wife and I took our first Cunard cruise. The food wasn't as good as food aboard Celebrity Cruise Line. The service wasn't as good either especially in the dinning room. Room service was about the same. You have heard correctly about the Celebrity experience. You will enjoy this much better. If you like the pools and/or hot tubs Celebrity's are more accessible than Cunard's.

As to the second part of your question, there were a group of very frequent cruisers who were writing questions down in notebooks and taking them to the trivia contests. They were at the time allowed to bascially have open book contests. A lot of people were really ticked including myself so I stopped going. All this to win a key chain.

We experienced this first hand also and couldn't believe it -- we enjoy winning, but honestly. We also stopped playing. :mad:

Hi,

We were on the Solstice in June and on the 12 night cruise, there would be on average 4 trivia games a day, we played on the sea days only(although they had them on the port days) and they were held in the Ensemble lounge on deck 5, at 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. They also had fun in the sun general trivia by the Oceanview Bar(outside of the buffet at the aft of the ship at 4:00 p.m., as well as a music or tv trivia at 8:00 p.m. most nights. It was limited to six players a team, paper and pencil, and never saw anyone bringing a notebook. We won a few, lost a few and had a great time. They gave out pens, purse table holders, sun visors, Celebrity X medals and tee shirts on different days. We paired up with different people each round and always had a good time. Thre wasn't any video trivia when we played. I learned that I need to go back to school for some of the questions, and also learned that there are some serious players who know every 80's artist and title of the song when they played the short music clips. The best one was on deck 3, 70's music trivia, and everyone who was waiting to go in or come out of dinner would stand around teh atrium, listen to the clips and sing the songs. No one got any questions wrong that night.

I know you will enjoy your cruise, and trivia was fun to participate in.

I have played trivia on X and RC since 2005 and have never played it in the theater. It's usually in a lounge or nightclub. Recently X has established the Celebrity Life Activity Center, which includes all the trivia and other games and is usually held in the nightclub on the top deck with all the windows. On M-class (at least on Summit and Constellation) it is called Reflections. Occasionally if something else is going on there it is in Rendevous, just outside the 4th deck MDR.

I was on the Connie Baltic cruise from 6-3 to 6-15. One of the activity staff took the bull by the horns and sat down with the encyclopedia and made out new questions because so many passengers already knew the answers, either from memory or notebooks. The problem was that the questions were ridiculously hard and her snotty attitude about her superiority was not conducive to the usual fun. So people complained and the questions became marginally better. If she had just done it without announcing it, no one would have known any better.

I had a great time anyway because the other 3 staff members were fun. Eventually, we made a joke about the hard questions asking her if she could make them harder. I was on Summit in Jan. and played a new game, Guest Feud, which has replaced Battle of the Sexes (which I enjoyed more on other cruises). This is in the same format as TV's Family Feud. I played twice on the June cruise and was on the winning team the first time. Another new game was the interactive trivia using a Power Point presentation on a screen. The first one was Animal Families/Animal Facts, which I thought would be easy, but was worse than Stephanie's questions. There were several teams and 4 of us tied with a total of 4 right out of 20 questions. The 2nd one was Tri-bond. I had asked if they were going to do any on this cruise and fortunately happened to be there for it, not knowing ahead of time that she was doing it. We got all but 1 and won prizes.

I play trivia at home on Thurs. nights at a local sports bar and really enjoy it. When I came home I told our team leader that after playing every day on the cruise, my head was stuffed even more with totally useless info. He said, "Wonderful, great!!!" LOL.

At every game we had papers and pencils. A couple of times we were the only team, so the host asked the questions and we called out our answers and we all got the prizes just for showing up. :D

The most fun in the evening was the "Name That Tune" in Michael's Club with the piano player, Richard Rubin. He is hilarious!! He had a theme every time and cracked us up with his droll humor and his musically themed ties and matching socks. It was held at 8:15 between the early seating (6:15) and late seating (8:30) and lasted 15-20 min. We won 3 out of the 7 we participated in--Tunes with hyphenated word/titles, Girls' names and the word "moon". Other themes were title and composer--trick was they were all composed by Harry Warren; States' names, mens' names and the word "love".

Don't be put off the games--they are still fun.

What were they doing with the questions, and what kind of questions were they?

Don't understand how writing down questions and taking them to the trivia quiz would help.

Don't understand how writing down questions and taking them to the trivia quiz would help.

They keep track of questions and their answers so when the same questions are asked on a later cruise, they know the answers. Every now and again, we've heard a question or two that we remembered hearing on an earlier cruise. However, our response is usually "Darn it! We heard that before - what was the answer???"

I haven't been on Celebrity since 2005, but am booked on the Silhouette next December. I am wondering if they also have a daily library quiz like HAL and NCL have? And is there a progressive team trivia contest that ends on the last sea day?

I haven't been on Celebrity since 2005, but am booked on the Silhouette next December. I am wondering if they also have a daily library quiz like HAL and NCL have? And is there a progressive team trivia contest that ends on the last sea day?

The only daily "brain teasers" I've seen on Celebrity are Crosswords and Soduku. They are available in the Library.

There have also been Progressive Team Trivias that were usually only held on sea days and ended on the last one.

On our April sailing on Equinox they were trying out an electronic system. Each guest is given a keyboard, broken into teams and asked multiple choice questions sort of like the Ask the Audience save on Millionaire or the way trivia is played in bars. The computer then records the answers and awards points to teams accordingly. .

Did the keyboards have access to Google. That would be so cool.:D

There have also been Progressive Team Trivias that were usually only held on sea days and ended on the last one.

Explain "Progressive Team Trivia"

Note to self

Pack "Trivia for Dummies";)

Explain "Progressive Team Trivia"

Note to self

Pack "Trivia for Dummies";)

It's a Trivia contest with multiple sessions played over multiple days; the scores from each session are recorded and the team with the most points after the last session wins.

We are frequent Oceania cruisers where Trivia is a passion and you play for Big O points. The Cruise Directors on O are fabulous at hosting trivia. Questions are never repeated. In fact, the CD's make them up themselves and they often are based on the cruise we are on.

We played trivia on Celebrity for the first time on our Panama Canal cruise with our usual travel mates and trivia partners. Never again. First, the "hosts" were so uneducated that not only did they not know the answers but they could not pronounce some of the correct answers. They were reading what someone else wrote. It was embarrassing. Second, it was an honor system at the end - count up your correct answers etc. The group next to us cheated!

If you are a real trivia lover, take an O cruise. Worth the extra money for that.

We will be on Celebrity again in a few weeks. Trivia not in our plans.

Thank you for the replies and the warm welcomes! I will admit to being a girl that loves to be at sea. I enjoy ports of call (mostly) but I also love being at sea and all that goes with it.

I do hope that we will have people onboard that enjoy trivia for what it is. You can't answer all the questions right all the time (although I sure do love to try). What possible pleasure is there in a key chain that you 'win' by cheating.

**Note to notebook cheaters** Please, please don't embarrass yourself or the game by whipping them out onboard. Let's make it a game of skill (and chance) for all!

**Note to notebook cheaters** Please, please don't embarrass yourself or the game by whipping them out onboard. Let's make it a game of skill (and chance) for all!

Have there been notebook cheaters:(

We LOVE trivia!!! We have played with teams that take things WAY too seriously and with others who don't have a clue. We like to play and we like to win but cheating takes all the fun out of it. We hope the pencil and paper continues as the team collaboration is part of the game. Hope there is lots of trivia on the sea days on the Silhouette in a couple of weeks. Are you onboard?

They keep track of questions and their answers so when the same questions are asked on a later cruise, they know the answers. Every now and again, we've heard a question or two that we remembered hearing on an earlier cruise. However, our response is usually "Darn it! We heard that before - what was the answer???"

Thanks, didnt understand how writing down just some random questions would help.

It makes more sense that they had the questions and answers from previous cruises, not just writing down questions and taking them to the quiz.

Who checks the answers, can't they just really cheat and fill them in if winning means that much?

What were they doing with the questions, and what kind of questions were they?

They would write down the answers and put them in their notebooks for their next cruise. Of course with the notebooks they had access to questions asked from previous cruises which might be asked again. These were very frequent cruises...

We are on the first cruise leaving 7/23. We are coming to Hamburg a day earlier to see the Miniatur Wunderland. Staying at the St. Annen. Anybody know how close this is to the cruiseport? Oh, I forgot, this is a trivia thread. Sorry

Archived