GASP .... We're Ready to Give Up Formal

sail7seas

We like to dress smart casual every night. We don't go to the MDR, on formal nights however I'm not going to stay out of all public areas on formal nights. Plain and simple, that is just asking too much.

I too dress smart casual every night, including formal night(s), never dine in the MDR on any night and I attend and visit all public venues on formal night as well! :);)

I too dress smart casual every night, including formal night(s), never dine in the MDR on any night and I attend and visit all public venues on formal night as well! :);)

If you don't dine in the MDR then it really doesn't matter. It is the question of dress in the MDR which we are talking about. At the entrance to the dining room and in the days newsletter it gives a dress "suggestion". Smart Casual or Formal. It would be somewhat Draconian for the Head Waiter to refuse entry unless someone was being deliberately offensive.

It appears that what one person considers formal another considers smart casual so cruise companies should make this clear. Times have changed, few people wear a dinner jacket these days except to perhaps a Ball or a very posh reception but that is what FORMAL WEAR means. A suit and tie is normal business wear - not formal.

I would like this clarified - how about -

Formal wear = Suit & tie and a dress for the ladies.

Smart Casual = separates, tops and trousers but no shorts or t shirts.

I enjoy eating in the MDR and being waited on. Presentation adds to the meal in my opinion whereas, queuing up for your food behind someone who just

"wants it all" or is fussy, drives me nuts. Plus, the food is never hot enough in the Lido for us but that is a British thing I think.

I guess it's horses for course in the end eh?

The cruise we go on in January will be the first time we are planning NOT to bring any formal clothes. Yikes! I still keep fighting the urge to call my Sister-in law and tell her I changed my mind. I was the deciding factor in not bringing formal wear.

We will be one week in a condo in Weston Florida, then the week long cruise, then a week in a condo in Davenport Florida that 3 grand kids are flying down to join us. So to keep it still to one suitcase, I am not going to bring any formal clothes. I have a whole days outfit on one hanger and I can fit 2 or 3 more outfits on hangers in the same space a formal outfit on the hanger would fit. Plus the 2 weeks in the condos I will need only casual clothes.

Which reminds me - I did see a bare chested man eating in the Lido! Dreadful. Nationality ....................... sorry no idea!

Having recently returned from the same HAL cruise as you I'm actually more surprised that he a) found a time when the Lido was actually open for dinner and b) managed to find somewhere to sit when it was.

Most of what is served in the MDR is served in Lido including formal night menus. I've read reports they offer lobster in Lido when they offer it in the MDR but don't know from personal experience. We have only had dinner in Lido once and that was on a 'particular set of circumstances' night. :)

If someone opts for Lido, they can dine from the same menu as MDR.

This is good to know. This was DEFINITELY not the case on my past cruises, but my past cruises were not HAL.

Thank you.

This is good to know. This was DEFINITELY not the case on my past cruises, but my past cruises were not HAL.

Thank you.

Mathteacher...I'm with you....

Don't usually get into threads like this...just sit back and enjoy:D But after 30 plus cruises...and a few on Hal have never had a meal in the Lido that compared to the MDR....but back in the 90's they did have cold half lobster tails on the midnight buffet on Carnival....now that was nice...all you could eat lobster...although they were the spiny and not the Maine:):):)

What is interesting is most are equating the comments about 'not dressing for dinner' to the younger generation but I've noticed for many cruises now that there are many seniors who are dressing the same for smart casual night as formal. It isn't only the younger guests.

I don't mean any of my comments to be directed at younger or older......it's guests in general from my observations.

DH would never have gone to the dining room in dockers as recently as two or three years ago. He always wore dress trousers but from time to time, on smart casual night, he now wears dockers with polo or sports shirt and I think he looks fine doing so. We pack dockers as well as dress pants now.

Having recently returned from the same HAL cruise as you I'm actually more surprised that he a) found a time when the Lido was actually open for dinner and b) managed to find somewhere to sit when it was.

Well, actually it was a lunch time I saw him - hairy chest and all - enough to put you off your food.

I agree it was very busy - my husband would go early for breakfast and I just had a banana. We had lunch in the MDR several times and a few in the Lido and I agree, it was very busy ( does busy = popular??). It was also empty of food by 3p.m. the only thing available were cookies.

To avoid the crush we would get our lunch and head outside to one of the pool areas where we could enjoy our salad in comfort and fresh air.

Only went to the Lido for dinner on the day we decided to watch the Wimbledon final which made us too late for the MDR. It was OK but not my idea of an enjoyable relaxing meal in pleasant surroundings.

That reminds me, I booked the Canaletto restaurant for my husband's birthday but, as we were poorly I cancelled. Glad I did as it is part of the Lido - I expected a separate restaurant. Why pay extra just for Italian food - I don't get that at all.

I recognise your name Milamber - did we meet? We had to leave the CC meeting as we had a nasty virus and .................. we still have it. Very stubborn it is too.

Overall we did like the ship and the excursions but not feeling well and getting little sleep did take it's toll.

We would go back though. I have written a review - yet to be posted. I assume it is being vetted.

JJ

That reminds me, I booked the Canaletto restaurant for my husband's birthday but, as we were poorly I cancelled. Glad I did as it is part of the Lido - I expected a separate restaurant. Why pay extra just for Italian food - I don't get that at all.

Let's just correct this little error. There is no charge for Canaletto. You are not paying "extra just for Italian food".

Although the Canaletto is in the same area as the Lido, it is separated off by dividers and different chairs. It is a different atmosphere than the buffet area.

I must admit, I'd be perfectly content with "Smart Casual" every night.

Ditto. And before anyone assumes this means ultra casual (shorts, jeans) to me, we've never brought jeans on a cruise (I know they're allowed on smart casual evenings, but we "live in" jeans every day and like to kick it up a notch on cruises) or worn shorts in the evenings. For us smart casual means dockers or slacks w/collared shirt for DH, and nice slacks and top, a dress or skirt and blouse for me.

We do enjoy formal nights, but not as much as in the past. If we don't have to do a lot of traveling before and after the cruise, that's different. Or when we don't have to fly to the port, that's different too. But usually we're living out of suitcases for a week or longer before the cruise, and hauling those suitcases from hotel to hotel.

We seem to alternate "doing formal" now, depending on the cruise. But those times that we don't "do formal" we eat in the Lido or get room service. It wouldn't occur to us to dine in the MDR on formal night dressed in anything less than the dress code. :)

Let's just correct this little error. There is no charge for Canaletto. You are not paying "extra just for Italian food".

Although the Canaletto is in the same area as the Lido, it is separated off by dividers and different chairs. It is a different atmosphere than the buffet area.

We ate in Veendam's Canaletto one evening, and the proximity to the Lido was not a problem at all. We forget it was just "over the wall."

I'm sorry if I got that wrong but I was definitely under the impression that there was a $20 cover charge each and more in the Pinnacle. I have tried to find out but I've given up searching the site.

The one night we did eat in the LIDO we sat right next door to it and it did not "feel" separate. A couple of waiters in striped tops flitted in and out and many guests looked very fed up as it was full to the brim.

Not special in my eyes.

JJ

The dog and pony show is over!

:confused: Huh?

I'm sorry if I got that wrong but I was definitely under the impression that there was a $20 cover charge each and more in the Pinnacle. I have tried to find out but I've given up searching the site.

The one night we did eat in the LIDO we sat right next door to it and it did not "feel" separate. A couple of waiters in striped tops flitted in and out and many guests looked very fed up as it was full to the brim.

Not special in my eyes.

JJ

Ruth is exactly correct.

There is a $20 pp charge for Pinnacle dinner with a reduced rate for three and four star mariners. Lunch is $10 pp.

Caneletto is no additional charge. You should make reservations.

I was definitely under the impression that there was a $20 cover charge each and more in the Pinnacle. I have tried to find out but I've given up searching the site.

JJ

If you check the HAL website and search under "Onboard our Ships" and then "Dining", it will list the available dining venues. When you click on the particular venue, it will only indicate a price if there is an additional charge for that venue. If there's no price indicated, then there is no additional charge.

You don't even want to imagine how much a medallion or 4-star pin would cost me. :o Then again, I tend to spoil myself rotten by staying in aft balconies on pretty expensive itineraries and the single supplement is always a brutal 200%. I like to live by a motto I read on these boards: Always travel first class because if you don't your kids will. :D;)

Hey "big daddy"....spending all those bucks and having such beautiful jewelry makes me wonder if you are in the market to be someone's real "Big Daddy"....adding "sugar" makes you a "sugar daddy". Look out, someone is wondering the blog halls here with her finest underwear and a robe pretending to be waiting for room service. :D:D:D

Well, actually it was a lunch time I saw him - hairy chest and all - enough to put you off your food.

I agree it was very busy - my husband would go early for breakfast and I just had a banana. We had lunch in the MDR several times and a few in the Lido and I agree, it was very busy ( does busy = popular??). It was also empty of food by 3p.m. the only thing available were cookies.

To avoid the crush we would get our lunch and head outside to one of the pool areas where we could enjoy our salad in comfort and fresh air.

Only went to the Lido for dinner on the day we decided to watch the Wimbledon final which made us too late for the MDR. It was OK but not my idea of an enjoyable relaxing meal in pleasant surroundings.

I recognise your name Milamber - did we meet? We had to leave the CC meeting as we had a nasty virus and .................. we still have it. Very stubborn it is too.

Overall we did like the ship and the excursions but not feeling well and getting little sleep did take it's toll.

We would go back though. I have written a review - yet to be posted. I assume it is being vetted.

JJ

We did attend the CC Meeting, but I don't think we met. It was very busy and impossible to get round everyone.

We may well have been introduced to your virus, though....we have both been quite ill for some time now and, like you, are finding it very hard to shake off. Other friends of ours at the meeting were also ill towards the end of the cruise. The cruise director was coughing away merrily for the last few days of the cruise as well.

We loved the itinerary, but found the Eurodam to be a bit of a mixed bag and wouldn't cruise on the ship again unless the price/itinerary made it impossible to pass up.

Hope you feel better soon.

If you check the HAL website and search under "Onboard our Ships" and then "Dining", it will list the available dining venues. When you click on the particular venue, it will only indicate a price if there is an additional charge for that venue. If there's no price indicated, then there is no additional charge.

Thanks for the info. Will do it next time. We paid extra for the Italian on the Independence of the seas which is why I was probably confused. Or, it is more than likely age thing.:D

JJ

We did attend the CC Meeting, but I don't think we met. It was very busy and impossible to get round everyone.

We may well have been introduced to your virus, though....we have both been quite ill for some time now and, like you, are finding it very hard to shake off. Other friends of ours at the meeting were also ill towards the end of the cruise. The cruise director was coughing away merrily for the last few days of the cruise as well.

We loved the itinerary, but found the Eurodam to be a bit of a mixed bag and wouldn't cruise on the ship again unless the price/itinerary made it impossible to pass up.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you & I hope we didn't pass it on - we tried very hard to keep it to ourselves. I guess the air/con takes it all over the ship so hard to avoid.

We had a good discount - under a £1000 each for a balcony room so it was very good value. Would not want to have paid full price though.

Best wishes

JJ

I started reading this since, like it or not, things are changing. On our last cruise, it seemed that fewer gents were in tuxes/dark suits on formal nights, but that was on a Circle Hawaii itinerary.

With a Med cruise on the horizon, we go back and forth on how we are going to approach formal nights. We certainly don't travel with the same number of cases as we used to. However, this itinerary is quite port intensive and we wonder how 3 formal nights are being fit into a 10-day cruise with 2 sea days. We just don't know how we will feel after touring all day.

If we do opt for the more traditional feel (one of the things that attracted us to cruising in the first place), DH may opt to rent a tux, bringing his own accessories and shoes. We have done this on a few occasions and it has worked out pretty well.

In any event, to accessorize my outfits, my costume jewelery -- such as it is -- will have to suffice. We only hope the staff at the MDR don't have to appraise its value to determine where we will be seated or we could end up eating in a service closet!:eek:

By the way, thanks to so many of you for 'Lightening Up' on this thread. :D I had a lot of really good laughs and just wish you were going to be on the same sailing as us.

If you don't dine in the MDR then it really doesn't matter. It is the question of dress in the MDR which we are talking about. At the entrance to the dining room and in the days newsletter it gives a dress "suggestion". Smart Casual or Formal. It would be somewhat Draconian for the Head Waiter to refuse entry unless someone was being deliberately offensive.

It appears that what one person considers formal another considers smart casual so cruise companies should make this clear. Times have changed, few people wear a dinner jacket these days except to perhaps a Ball or a very posh reception but that is what FORMAL WEAR means. A suit and tie is normal business wear - not formal.

I would like this clarified - how about -

Formal wear = Suit & tie and a dress for the ladies.

Smart Casual = separates, tops and trousers but no shorts or t shirts.

I enjoy eating in the MDR and being waited on. Presentation adds to the meal in my opinion whereas, queuing up for your food behind someone who just

"wants it all" or is fussy, drives me nuts. Plus, the food is never hot enough in the Lido for us but that is a British thing I think.

I guess it's horses for course in the end eh?

Well, I don't want to spent up to two and done half hours eating in the MDR! ;) I love moving quickly through the Lido line for dinner where I am usually waiting first in line for it to open (for both lunch & dinner) & the food has always been served hot whereas it has not always been served hot in the MDR! I can make more productive use of my time after spending 45 minutes eating in the Lido rather than up to two and one half hours in the MDR! :D

Well, I don't want to spent up to two and done half hours eating in the MDR! ;) I love moving quickly through the Lido line for dinner where I am usually waiting first in line for it to open (for both lunch & dinner) & the food has always been served hot whereas it has not always been served hot in the MDR! I can make more productive use of my time after spending 45 minutes eating in the Lido rather than up to two and one half hours in the MDR! :D

Well, we were never in the MDR for longer than an hour but perhaps we have smaller appetites. We were on the early seating at 5.30 although aimed to get there about 5.45. After dinner we were in time to get to the other end of the ship to watch the early show in the Theatre. Good use of time for us.

What do you like to do after dinner?

JJ

Personally, I can't wait until they eliminate formal night and the debates begin about what constitutes "business casual," "elegant casual," "country club casual," or whatever they choose to call it. :eek: Now that will be real fun - for about 20 minutes. ;) Defenders and critics of jogging apparel (co-ordinated or plain sweats), cut-offs, form-fitting bicycling shorts, tank tops and thongs will at long last have their day in the sun, so to speak. Enforcement will necessarily be as lax as ever as the large minority of passengers with the maturity of a 14-year-old will persist in rebelling against generally-accepted social mores in the name of expressing their individuality. As usual, they themselves will undoubtedly prove to be extremely conformist in the process. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Would've said "15 minutes of fame/glory" above, but these days it's either 15 seconds or endless repeats, so I settled on "day on the sun."

Archived