Anyone tried the new P&O menus?

louhun88

Dai

Mellon used ot be available ' off menu' but is no longer.......... so there was 4 choices ... in a way !!:)

Well if you are going to be pedaa.. pedint... errrrr well I never had it :(

Gan Canny

Dai

This Melon entree/appetiser thing, seems very popular on the British ships and in UK hotels.

Very peculiar to UK.

I am allergic to melon, I HATE it.

Can't even have a fruit cocktail as they insist on sticking the revolting stuff in it.

My son and I have had the melon about 50% of the time, as we don't like the look of the starters on offer. So looks like we shall be sitting watching the rest of the table eating! I really don't see why they need to do away with this. It surely isn't very expensive!

Been on three p&o cruises now, the menu in the MDR has been reduced a tad over the years but I don't see how you can complain that there is nothing on there which you wouldn't eat, for the price you pay the service you receive and all the care taken to cooking for 3000+ people I think it's pretty outstanding, they could always increase the price of the cruise to substitute more choice but then the moaners out they would now complain about that. Come on you pay £999 for 15 days cruising the Caribbean + flights don't think anybody can complain.

Yes

just back form Aurora and I would say they are the best to date.

3 starters as before 2 soups and mains are more choice , often a from the grill choice and in port you get a local dish of the day...

chesse board is still there... with stilton... and after dinner nibbles are still put on the table..

You can still have a side salad with your dinner if you prefer and if you want extra icecream with you dessert choice that is still brought to you.

On Oriana last month we found he food generally good. The "grass fed" steaks were suprisingly tender though the fish on offer was somewhat bland and the veg. choice a bit samey each night.

As to table companions, it is really pot luck, and there probably as many quare folk from the north as well as the south.

David

We've recently returned from Ventura and found the MDR experience in the Cinnamon restaurant (freedom dining) to be very good, with the exception of the wine steward who was slow and lost part of a bottle of wine that we hadn't finished the previous night.

Although on freedom dining we weren't rushed and took 2 hours most nights to finish the meal mainly due to chatting to table companions as the service was efficient and neither too fast nor too slow. We were always willing to share a table and never had to wait to be shown to a table.

The food was good but a little boring. The main courses every night were all a selection of meat or fish served with potatoes and 2 veg ie, typical British fare. Whilst I thought the meals were of a good quality and I certainly found nothing to complain about, I thought they could have been a little more imaginative and introduced an option each night that was a little different without upsetting the traditionalists. There was also a lot of repitition during the week - we booked the White Room menu for the latter half of the week as it featured Gressingham Duck but then Gressingham Duck appeared no less that 3 times on the MDR menu during the week.

Personally I found plenty of choice and often had several options I would gladly have chosen each evening.

Yes

just back form Aurora and I would say they are the best to date.

3 starters as before 2 soups and mains are more choice , often a from the grill choice and in port you get a local dish of the day...

chesse board is still there... with stilton... and after dinner nibbles are still put on the table..

You can still have a side salad with your dinner if you prefer and if you want extra icecream with you dessert choice that is still brought to you.

Just back from Oriana and we had much the same experience. Melon was available if you didn't want a starter or soup, also salad instead of veg. Cheese board was better than Oceana last year and a large Stilton was also going around. After dinner nibbles are now sweet and not savory as well. Chips were also always available and with a teenage boy we got through lots, as well as a double main course on some nights (although in fairness he often didn't have a starter or soup) Desserts and ice creams as well were no problem. We enjoyed the fish, Red Snapper, Sea Bass, Orange Roughy etc and also the pasta dishes that are now on the menu most nights. As a family of four we were on our own table so I guess that makes it easier to organise choices to your liking.

Just back from Oriana and we had much the same experience. Melon was available if you didn't want a starter or soup, also salad instead of veg. Cheese board was better than Oceana last year and a large Stilton was also going around. After dinner nibbles are now sweet and not savory as well. Chips were also always available and with a teenage boy we got through lots, as well as a double main course on some nights (although in fairness he often didn't have a starter or soup) Desserts and ice creams as well were no problem. We enjoyed the fish, Red Snapper, Sea Bass, Orange Roughy etc and also the pasta dishes that are now on the menu most nights. As a family of four we were on our own table so I guess that makes it easier to organise choices to your liking.

Sounds good, especially the fish and cheese plate!

Do you happen to copies of the menus at all?

Louise x

I remember an article in the old POSH club magazine by the Food and beverage Manager.. saying that they try NOT to repeat a menu on the world cruise.. Im sure they tweek the meals so that its not exactly the same .

of course they take on supplies in Austrilia so we noticed Aussy fish on the menu from HK.

Just returned from Arcadia (4 Aug) and the dinner menus in the MDR were much better than in April.

Now back to separate "Starters" and "Soups" rather than the combined section that was on Arcadia in April. The consomme was served very hot.

"Main courses" now six choices available with two further entries most nights - "Regional favourite/Great British favourite" and "From the Grill". It is a change to see P&O offering some local dishes (I was on a fjord cruise so this had some Norwegian dishes). From the grill varied between the old three favourites of salmon, chicken and steak but also had some new options like veal.

"Desserts" - six available most nights.

"Cheeseboard" now a separate item. Stilton not shown, but once asked for it was offered everynight.

"After dinner liqueurs" from the menu were mainly priced at £1.95 - Cockburn port, Courvoisier, etc with port being 50ml and others 25ml.

I thought that the quality of the food was better than in April. Service also seemed to be better and the wine waiter was much better in keeping my glass full:D. Water was also topped up far more fequently. I normally had focaccia and the waiter would get me some if he had run out rather than just offering what was left in the basket.

Archived