Anyone tried the new P&O menus?

louhun88

The MDR food were well presented but the quality and quantity very poor. Salmon and prawns hardly featured in there menu. When they do serve it, the quantity served is hardly enough to feed a 3 years old child. Avoid Chinese theme night at there buffet restaurant. You get better taste and quality with a Tesco chinese ready meal. Seriously.

I find that the portions may look small without many vegetables but after 4 courses and wine i never leave the dining room hungry!

You could always pop up to the buffet afterward and start again :)

It'll be interesting to see what the food is like on Ventura, the more i've been reading about the MDR I don't think we'll be eating in there all the time as 2+ hours is far too long for any of us to want to sit down for a meal :(

Louise x

We have just got back from 2 weeks on the Ventura and the food in the MDR is worse than last year on the Arcadia. We went Freedom dining and the service in the Cinnamon restaurant was really bad, so much so that we cancelled our auto-gratuities and stopped using it. The food was boring, small portions, luke warm and poor choice.

The waiters did not want to know about making an alternative (fussy wife) and after waiting 20 minutes for a wine waiter and 45 minutes for a starter we said enough was enough.

The food in the buffett on the other hand was far better than the Arcadia buffett and the Beach House Diner was very, very good. Select dining in Ramblas was acceptable but I wouldn't pay more than the 5 pounds they ask. Frankie's Gril and Pizza parlour were truly awful!

Oh dear - sounds terrible. Can't wait to see if Arcadia is any better - 6 weeks to go. Surely on Ventura you can order your wine the previous evening. That's what we do. However, 45 minutes awaiting a starter is very bad.

We have just got back from 2 weeks on the Ventura and the food in the MDR is worse than last year on the Arcadia. We went Freedom dining and the service in the Cinnamon restaurant was really bad, so much so that we cancelled our auto-gratuities and stopped using it. The food was boring, small portions, luke warm and poor choice.

The waiters did not want to know about making an alternative (fussy wife) and after waiting 20 minutes for a wine waiter and 45 minutes for a starter we said enough was enough.

The food in the buffett on the other hand was far better than the Arcadia buffett and the Beach House Diner was very, very good. Select dining in Ramblas was acceptable but I wouldn't pay more than the 5 pounds they ask. Frankie's Gril and Pizza parlour were truly awful!

That doesn't sound good, im a fussy eater as well! We had a great waiter on RCI who would bring me the meal but without certain things on it or with different accompaniments.

What kind of food were in the buffet for dinner? Im hoping there's a carvery :D

I try not to comment on food as it's subjective and what one person likes another may not.

However I have to agree with you regarding Frankie's Grill on Ventura.

My understanding is that this is part of an onshore chain owned by the jockey Frankie Dettori.

Thinking that in that case it must be a certain standard I opted for a burger. It was not only by far the worst tasting burger I've ever had but the quality was dreadfull---I would liken it to a supermarket value range with poor quality meat full of 'lumpy' bits ( and lord knows what else).

I'm sure that others have enjoyed food that they have got from here but I can only go by my own experience.

Must have changed since April because he food was great as were the staff. We were in Club dining however and whenever someone did not like a dish, twice on a table for 8 the waiter offered to change it immediately.

My experience is that you cannot go by what other people tell you about the food on any ship as it is so subjective.

You can only go by your own experience. BTW we loved Ramblas at lunchtime. Did not go at night as we were having such a great time in the MDR, we were only on a 7 night cruise.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

I'm sorry Philimorr, but I just read your review, and it has to be one of the most hilarious I have read. You seriously went to the trouble of 'reporting' a table where people had taken their jackets off. What are you, the dress code police? Surely people are entitled to remove their jackets? I can't wait to try all of this awful food and terrible service when I get on board, so thanks for warning me!

Yes my friend from that horrible northern outpost of society that is Leeds, full of "roughians"(sp) you know:)

I took my jacket off on Oceana in the caribbean last winter at dinner(same menu as Ventura this spring!!!)(and as luke warm)...and I got stacks of sly looks. It was 30 degrees outside and about 30 in the dining room .

I didnt give a chuff

The loyal P & O mob from Eastbourne and the likes just want it the way they want it ..ever so polite and so very British...and bed by 10.30

As it happens I was on holiday and trying to chill and relax and have a laugh and in my opinion the pound in my pocket is worth the same as the one they have in the silk purse and probably harder earned

We are ex OVer's totally disallusioned with P&O and have booked land based Pattaya and Dubai in Dec and we are just considering Thomsons Destiny in Sepember as it sound like normal people frequent it

I'm going to 'stash' some kit kats and peanuts in my case as emergency rations! ;) :D

You could always dive into the life boats, sorry tenders and scavenge the survival rations, hard tack biscuits and water. LOL.

To be serious, after reading these posts, surely P&O food cannot be that bad? Or is it? Oh dear, we are on Arcadia for 49 days from 9 March, Sydney to Southampton. Do they sell Mars Bars on board?

We've tried freedom dining a few times and found it very different from club dining. Sometimes service has been rushed, sometimes it has been slow and other times it has been just fine. In particular when we were on Ventura on a couple of occasions we asked for a table for two and because there was a queue we were offered seats on a spare table in club dining. The experience was much better than freedom dining and the waiters were fantastic, so much so that we asked if we could do the same on another evening.

If we went on Ventura again I think that we would choose club dining as we enjoy the rapport with the same waiters and wine steward. However we would have to excuse ourselves for a couple of evenings to use the other restaurants, in particular East which we really enjoyed.

These threads amaze me, lots of wingers who you will never please. I've just returned from the A114, Dublin, Iceland, Norway & Bruges on the Azura, absolutley brilliant ship & holiday. For the record this was only our second cruise after cruising on Queen Victoria last year. Food - we ate in the buffet for breakfast, skipped lunch because of the good breakfast, afternoon tea in the buffet, evening meal 2nd sitting in the Oriental. Although the choice wasn't as great as last year at breakfast(fruit & fish) the quality was the same. The same can be said of the buffets at othertimes, good quality but less choice. Evening meal was superb, waiters could'nt do enough for us & reasonably priced wines also. There was a good choice of food & the quality was fine. If there was'nt anything on the menu I liked I just asked the waiter for either fish or steak which wasn't a problem The problem is you can't please everybody all the time with food, what some like, others dislike but if you ask they will do there best to keep you happy. Same goes for portion size, if I was not happy because there was not enough meat or veg I just asked & more came. I'm one of the fussy ones & am not easly pleased but I can say that we had a great holiday with P&O & would definitly go with them again. Last year we paid twice what we paid for this cruise so I think its unfair to compare P&O with Cunard but what I would say is for what we paid this year it was a great value cruise with no complaints, well done P&O.:)

On Arcadia next year I am looking forward to some 'KIPPERS' for Breakfast, will I get some?

Kippers are on the breakfast menu along with smoked haddock which is also quite good. I assume they might have some left by the time the ship gets to Australia.

Brian

Kippers are on the breakfast menu along with smoked haddock which is also quite good. I assume they might have some left by the time the ship gets to Australia.

Brian

Thanks Brian, yes I hope all the Haddock and Kippers don't get eaten between Southampton and Sydney. I would like to try some, been a long time since I had those for brekkie.

Voltman, totally agree with you, too many whingers on the ships, one wonders how they eat at home. Being a Colonial Carnivore, LOL..I like plenty of meat, so often ask waiters for a double portion, on Princess that is, P&O should do the same.

Thanks Brian, yes I hope all the Haddock and Kippers don't get eaten between Southampton and Sydney. I would like to try some, been a long time since I had those for brekkie.

Voltman, totally agree with you, too many whingers on the ships, one wonders how they eat at home. Being a Colonial Carnivore, LOL..I like plenty of meat, so often ask waiters for a double portion, on Princess that is, P&O should do the same.

They do. Just ask for large.

Not that I ever would.:rolleyes:

Gan canny

Dai

On the topic of the new menus, does anyone have any recent copies from Ventura? Just been looking at my Royal Caribbean ones, and they have 7 starters to choose from. (that does include 2 soups and a fruit soup) Is it true there are only 3 on P&O?

On the topic of the new menus, does anyone have any recent copies from Ventura? Just been looking at my Royal Caribbean ones, and they have 7 starters to choose from. (that does include 2 soups and a fruit soup) Is it true there are only 3 on P&O?

No it is now and always has been 3 entrees and 2 soups. Old or new menu it is contrant and as I understand more choice for main.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Just something to add regarding the main dining rooms.

When we went on ventura in june, we found the service and food excellent. I am a big eater and when i had finished my main course, our waiters came over and asked if i would like another main course or try something different.

Never had a problem or felt awkward about it and always felt rather full afterwards.

Yes

we are just back from 18 Nights on Aurora .. they were lovely, varied and included a local dish on a port day...

Side salad is available if you ask for it with you main course.

If you have a problem you shouls speak to the head waiter during the day. The menus are on display ALL DAY outside the resturant and on the bars around the ship.... if some thing on there is an issue pop along and speak to someone in the resturant. If you have food allergies or diabetic etc you should let them know at least 4 weeks before you sail and there is an email address to contact them.

Archived