One More Reason To Dislike Relaxed Dining Room Etiquette

:confused:

Are you folks on the same page as the rest of us?:rolleyes:

Obviously not. I'm on the short of the ship going down, I'm on vacation and I'm not going to be bothered by anything like dessert being late, page. Really I always figure, I could be back in Ohio freezing my butt off so it's not that bad.

Sounds like not that big of a deal to me. So dessert was a little late, I agree with RC, "they had to be accomodated" sounds to me like good customer service.

Then the ones that were late should have chose MTD and not traditional. It's rude to be late to dinner and put extra pressure on the wait staff and causing other guests to be inconvenienced. To most they get it and some, well I guess they don't.:rolleyes:

Then the ones that were late should have chose MTD and not traditional. It's rude to be late to dinner and put extra pressure on the wait staff and causing other guests to be inconvenienced. To most they get it and some, well I guess they don't.:rolleyes:

Love the discussion but it is such a minor inconvenience it hardly seems worth mentioning to me.

This sort of scenario really makes you feel badly for the waitstaff. If the policy is to accommodate latecomers, then they have to really hustle to get these inconsiderate boors fed and out the door, before second seating. If I were in the OP's shoes, I think that I would have asked to see my head waiter or the maitre-d -- to see what they could do to avoid future delays in service to my table.

This sort of scenario really makes you feel badly for the waitstaff. If the policy is to accommodate latecomers, then they have to really hustle to get these inconsiderate boors fed and out the door, before second seating. If I were in the OP's shoes, I think that I would have asked to see my head waiter or the maitre-d -- to see what they could do to avoid future delays in service to my table.

On our cruise from Barcelona where the locals eat much later, they were arriving for early dining as most of the tables were leaving. They had warnings in the compass about being on time and closing the doors etc. But it did not change. I felt sorry for the late seating diners, if their table was not ready.

I am not sure if MTD was in effect at that time. That would solve the problem

Believe me, the waiters and staff are hating the persons coming in 30mins - 1 hour late, but they do not have a choice in the matter. It is corporate that makes these kinds of decisions to accept late comers or not. Simple solution is to be asked to be moved.

I work in retail pharmacy and this happens all the time and it really frustrates me. Pharmacy closes at 10pm. There's always a customer that comes in at 9:59pm that "we must accomadate" because corporate says so. And that causes me to leave at 10:20pm - 10:30pm. So I stay an extra 20 to 30 mins and I don't get paid overtime.

Obviously not. I'm on the short of the ship going down, I'm on vacation and I'm not going to be bothered by anything like dessert being late, page. Really I always figure, I could be back in Ohio freezing my butt off so it's not that bad.

Yeah, yeah we know ... this has nothing to do with you so you really don't care that OP missed a show

I bet if YOU missed a show you really wanted to see then it would be different

:rolleyes:

Don't bother trying to swear up and down you really wouldn't care ... experience has taught me that all these people saying "just chill" or whatever have the loudest voices when they experience problems!!

Love the discussion but it is such a minor inconvenience it hardly seems worth mentioning to me

Seriously? If it hardly seems mentioning ... why bother commenting TWICE?

Originally Posted by lrn2cruise:

How about dessert to go? Skipping and ordering room service later? I just dont know? We live in a world of other people, even inconsiderate people, and we think what we want always comes first, it is just a cause for conflict.

Next crusie you go on, let the crusie line know that your needs come first before all others in every way.

------------------

How is it that you think the OP believes his needs come first just because he has followed the dining room rules and the other party hasn't? The other party not following the rules directly impacted the OP's evening by making his overall dining experience take longer than necessary and thereby causing him to miss a portion of the show.

In reality, what you are saying is that the late-comers needs come first over the OP, who was the one who followed the rules! I'll bet you are one of those people who disregard the rules and guidelines and expect everyone to cater to your needs. Guess what, rules and guidelines are put in place so that EVERYONE gets accomodated.

dito. but it sounds like the OP did try to tell people that it was upsetting their own dinner. the people who were late NIGHTLY should sail a ship more suited to their needs (NCL Freestyle) or do MTD. It is unfair that the OP diner/and nightly plans were affected DAILY due to the table who kept showing up late.

Yeah' date=' yeah we know ... this has nothing to do with you so you really don't care that OP missed a show

I bet if YOU missed a show you really wanted to see then it would be different

:rolleyes:

Don't bother trying to swear up and down you really wouldn't care ... experience has taught me different.[/quote']

You'd lose the bet.:) I don't have to convince you, I KNOW ME, you don't.

The ones that do this are the same ones that put their things on deck chairs for hours on end without using them, butt in line, talk loudly in the shows, don't tip the wait staff and the list goes on. They are the "me" generation. They don't give a darn about anyone else other than themselves. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more of this in the world today and it's only going to get worse.

I agree, if the others wanted to dine at 7:00 then THEY are the ones that should have signed up for MTD. The OP did not and expected their dinner to be served on-time which it was not due to the incosidertion of the other party.

Just so everyone knows on ships that are small like Majesty and Monarch MTD's are intermingled with Traditional Seating tables. They are too small to have seperate areas. When we were on Monarch in February, the tables to the left and right of us were traditional seating, but the tables in the spot behind us were MTD, I was confused the first night when we showed up for our late seating and there were people around us having entrees and appetizers...quickly figured it out. It is quite possible that the "Offenders" did have MTD. It is NOT thier fault unless they didn't have MTD and honestly unless you asked them we all have no way to know the answer. The true "Offender" in this scenario is the waiter. The waiters should have kept up on the service of the OP's table.

Unfortunately we are seeing more and more of this in the world today and it's only going to get worse.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Not only that, but we are becoming the bad guys for saying or doing something about it. :rolleyes:

Just so everyone knows on ships that are small like Majesty and Monarch MTD's are intermingled with Traditional Seating tables. They are too small to have seperate areas. When we were on Monarch in February, the tables to the left and right of us were traditional seating, but the tables in the spot behind us were MTD, I was confused the first night when we showed up for our late seating and there were people around us having entrees and appetizers...quickly figured it out. It is quite possible that the "Offenders" did have MTD. It is NOT thier fault unless they didn't have MTD and honestly unless you asked them we all have no way to know the answer. The true "Offender" in this scenario is the waiter. The waiters should have kept up on the service of the OP's table.

I had no idea, thanks for posting that!

Just so everyone knows on ships that are small like Majesty and Monarch MTD's are intermingled with Traditional Seating tables. They are too small to have seperate areas.

I have not been on Monarch recently, but this is not true at all on the Majesty. The Majesty MTD is strictly on the port side of the deck 4 dining room. It even has its own entrance just aft of the internet area. It is not mixed with traditional dining.

Love the discussion but it is such a minor inconvenience it hardly seems worth mentioning to me.

The problem here is that you assume since it would have been a "minor inconvenience" to you, then therefore it MUST be a minor inconvenience to everybody else. How arrogant of you to tell somebody else how upset and inconvenienced they should feel or should not feel.

Rules and guidelines are in place for a reason, and that is because while one issue may seem nothing to one person it may be a very big deal to somebody else. Therefore, as a courtesy to other travellers and the staff everyone should follow the rules and guidelines that are in place.

In the current example, if the late-comers could not make it to the DR within the acceptable timeframe then they should have made use of the other dining options available onboard ship. What is unacceptable is for them to flout the rules, thereby negatively impacting both the other dining room guests and the waitstaff.

As for your later statement that "You know you", I think we, too, are all getting to know you. I gather, based on the attitude expressed in your posts, that you are one of those people who, like the late-comers to dinner, think that rules are for other people. Your posts communicate who you are (and your level of courtesy to other travellers, or rather your lack thereof) very well.

Lucky for us we travel with friends and only get a table for 4....and have seen this "late dinner arrival" happen to others....RUDE!!

Lucky you.

I have experienced a similar experience of the staff not enforcing the rules on RCCL. My issue was in the supposed "adults only" pool that had families with small, shrieking children using it. None of the RCCL staff did anything about asking the children to leave. The one time I did complain to a staff member he went over to the one of the mothers and she yelled at him (no kidding, YELLED) that it was her vacation and she and her kids would use any pool they wanted. After that he just shrugged and walked away. I have never, ever been on an RCCL cruise where the "adults-only" pool didn't have children playing in it and around it.

It's really a staff and corporate issue. If the corporate office isn't going to back the staff when they enforce the rules, then the staff won't. As one previous poster stated, if you aren't going to enforce the rules then why have them?

The "Rules" are made for the purpose of giving guidance to the pax. I'm sure they HOPE that the majority of them are considerate, polite, respectful to others, & abide by the rules. We all have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with rude, arrogant, selfish cretins in all walks of life. Woe to us, they also cruise.

We were just on Majesty last month and MTD is on Deck 4, totally separate from Traditional which was on Deck 3.

One cruise we did not like the people we were sitting with after the first 15 minutes of dinner. After dinner, we requested to be moved to the other side of the dining room. We were very happy with our new table mates. Another option so that people do not spoil your evening is to get a table for just the amount of people in your party.

Not able to be done in this situation. We had a group of 12 people. On the first day, I was first in line to see the Matre d' in order to try and get us all on a table together, but it couldn't be done. The best they could do was a table ogf 8 and the other 4 right next to us.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. When I was trying to get our party of 12 seated at a table together, I saw on the computer layout 6 tables of 2 in a row and asked if we could have them. The Matre d' said they were MTD, and showed me all the tables in the same section that were MTD. That section was directly across the entire dining room from where we were sitting.

PLUS MTD has an entirely different waitstaff. One waiter will not serve MTD and Traditional Dining guests in the same seating.

The problem here is that you assume since it would have been a "minor inconvenience" to you, then therefore it MUST be a minor inconvenience to everybody else. How arrogant of you to tell somebody else how upset and inconvenienced they should feel or should not feel.

Rules and guidelines are in place for a reason, and that is because while one issue may seem nothing to one person it may be a very big deal to somebody else. Therefore, as a courtesy to other travellers and the staff everyone should follow the rules and guidelines that are in place.

In the current example, if the late-comers could not make it to the DR within the acceptable timeframe then they should have made use of the other dining options available onboard ship. What is unacceptable is for them to flout the rules, thereby negatively impacting both the other dining room guests and the waitstaff.

As for your later statement that "You know you", I think we, too, are all getting to know you. I gather, based on the attitude expressed in your posts, that you are one of those people who, like the late-comers to dinner, think that rules are for other people. Your posts communicate who you are (and your level of courtesy to other travellers, or rather your lack thereof) very well.

I idn't tell anyone how to feel that's why I said it hardly seems mentioning "to me". In any post did I say the OP didn't have a right to feel how they want. Talk about arrogant lose the attitude. I am not concerned by what other passengers do it's that simple. Get a grip.

Archived