One More Reason To Dislike Relaxed Dining Room Etiquette

[quote name=Merion_Mom;

Coming in while dessert order are being taken' date=' an hour or an hour+ into the seating SEVERELY DISRUPTS regular seating diners.

[/quote]

It really is a matter of efficiency. The waiters are at their best when they can get ALL of the appetizers, main courses and desserts at THE SAME TIME.

I have been on so many cruise that I often need NEW things to do. So I have watched the waiters intently. They hustle the @$$e$ off when everything is going perfectly. When someone is unhappy with their food or other problem, then it slows things down. FACT!

Anyone who has worked in food-service industry (even a McD's) knows this.

That's great that you wouldn't be bothered by missing a show and that if you were you would gladly skip a dessert. The concept you seem to have a problem grasping is that you shouldn't have to make that choice because of somebody else's selfish behavior.

The late-comers only cared about their own wants and needs. They apparently did not care that their late arrival would negatively impact other diners, nor did they care that their late arrival would negatively impact the waitstaff. They just wanted to come to dinner when they felt like it, oblivious as to how their actions would affect others and in complete disregard of the dining room seating times.

Because of their action, the OP and his group missed a portion of a show that they wanted to see. Sure, they could have skipped dessert, as you suggested. But, and I'll repeat here since it's an idea that seems difficult for you to comprehend, they shouldn't have to make that choice.

To say that you wouldn't care about missing a show is a nonsequitor. Your feelings are really of no import here, because you weren't in the situation. To tell the OP that the issue he shared with this board seems "minor" to you is a denigration of his feelings and what is important to him. It was important to him to have dessert and also to get to the show on time. The only reason he was unable to do both was due to somebody else's selfish actions that were also contrary to dining room policy. To repeat another poster's sentiment, "that is just wrong".

I truly am baffled that you seem to be unable to understand such a simple concept. Do you understand the meaning of the word "empathy"? Even though this particular situation wouldn't have bothered you, it bothered the OP. Bottom line is, the OP experienced a problem brought about by someone else's selfish behavior and it shouldn't have happened. If you can't understand that, then I can't help you.

Well said. Too many people have an "it's all about me" attitude. They need to learn that they're not the only people on the ship.

A few minutes delay for dessert is NOT a big deal, but missing the show IS a big deal. The entertainment is part of what you paid for. The idea that the late diners "had to be accommodated" just doesn't wash. Why doesn't OP have a right to be accommodated to get to the show on time. To me -- getting timely diners to the show on time is a key part of the waistaff's job. What I don't know is what the waitstaff knew and when they knew it. OP, Did you tell the waitstaff, at the time, that you were trying to get to the show?

Sorry, but you are incorrect. When I was trying to get our party of 12 seated at a table together, I saw on the computer layout 6 tables of 2 in a row and asked if we could have them. The Matre d' said they were MTD, and showed me all the tables in the same section that were MTD. That section was directly across the entire dining room from where we were sitting.

PLUS MTD has an entirely different waitstaff. One waiter will not serve MTD and Traditional Dining guests in the same seating.

Well as I said my experience was in February...it is possible they adjusted their way of doing things. Sorry to have given out incorrect information.;)

You have never been on a cruise before, but you have been a member of Cruise Critic for two years?

I find that confusing, but here goes.

If you have never been on a cruise, then you do NOT understand how the dining room operates.

There are lines in the kitchen from which the waiters pick up food.

First, appetizers/first courses are set up. Waiters drop off their orders, the kitchen staff put plates up on the line. Waiters come and pick them up and deliver them.

Then main courses are plated and put out on the line. Waiters come and pick them up and deliver them.

Then dessert orders are taken. The dessert line has been set up in the kitchen. The waiter comes and picks up and delivers the desserts.

Coming in while dessert order are being taken, an hour or an hour+ into the seating SEVERELY DISRUPTS regular seating diners.

This is the reason that there is MY TIME DINING.

If you want to eat "at any time", "not during regular seatings", then you sign up for MTD, with its own waiters.

Otherwise, you severely impact passengers who have signed up for and expect the service of regular dining.

Let me repeat that:

Royal Caribbean has something called "MY TIME DINING". Then you have a different waitstaff set up, different tables, and the right and expectation to eat when you like.

If you are on regular seating, either main seating (sometimes called early seating) or late seating, then you are given a specific time for dinner, usually 6:00 and 8:30.

Pick one or the other; don't screw up by insisting on A when you have B.

Really great response! I usually don't copy a whole quote but this was worth having someone read again.

I believe that the reason some don't choose MTD is that they are cheap and don't want to prepay gratuities that they otherwise won't pay anyway! We have seen wait staff stiffed all too often! Maybe it is time to have gratuities included - period!!!

That's great that you wouldn't be bothered by missing a show and that if you were you would gladly skip a dessert. The concept you seem to have a problem grasping is that you shouldn't have to make that choice because of somebody else's selfish behavior.

The late-comers only cared about their own wants and needs. They apparently did not care that their late arrival would negatively impact other diners, nor did they care that their late arrival would negatively impact the waitstaff. They just wanted to come to dinner when they felt like it, oblivious as to how their actions would affect others and in complete disregard of the dining room seating times.

Because of their action, the OP and his group missed a portion of a show that they wanted to see. Sure, they could have skipped dessert, as you suggested. But, and I'll repeat here since it's an idea that seems difficult for you to comprehend, they shouldn't have to make that choice.

To say that you wouldn't care about missing a show is a nonsequitor. Your feelings are really of no import here, because you weren't in the situation. To tell the OP that the issue he shared with this board seems "minor" to you is a denigration of his feelings and what is important to him. It was important to him to have dessert and also to get to the show on time. The only reason he was unable to do both was due to somebody else's selfish actions that were also contrary to dining room policy. To repeat another poster's sentiment, "that is just wrong".

I truly am baffled that you seem to be unable to understand such a simple concept. Do you understand the meaning of the word "empathy"? Even though this particular situation wouldn't have bothered you, it bothered the OP. Bottom line is, the OP experienced a problem brought about by someone else's selfish behavior and it shouldn't have happened. If you can't understand and empathize with that, then I can't help you.

I too am truly baffled that you think I don't comprehend this, again to me it's really not that big of a deal. The fact is if you or the OP have a problem it shouldn't be with the late people it should be with the wait staff that made them wait to take care of their other customers. If it is truly a "rule" that people have to be in the MDR by a certain time then wouldn't one think RCI would enforce their own rule. If they don't then I have no problem with the people who were late and none with the OP who was upset. All I'm saying is I wouldn't have been. It's really not hard to understand if you think about it for a minute. It's me. I'm not young, I'm 55 and I have darn sure learned that there a lot more imprtant things 'for me' to worry about then if my dessert is late or if I miss the beginning of a show. If it really bothers others enough that they feel compelled to complain to the ship then more power to them. The fact is in this case they did have to choose and not because of the late people but because of the ship's personnel. By the way if my feelings are of no import here because I wasn't in the situation, neither are yours just cause you agree with them. Oh and believe me I don't need your help. Have a great night Texas and a beautiful Monday.

I truly am baffled that you seem to be unable to understand such a simple concept. Do you understand the meaning of the word "empathy"? Even though this particular situation wouldn't have bothered you, it bothered the OP. Bottom line is, the OP experienced a problem brought about by someone else's selfish behavior and it shouldn't have happened. If you can't understand and empathize with that, then I can't help you.

excellent post

I agree and disagree with you.

The point is that the late diners apparently arrived within whatever parameters RCI allows and the wait staff made OP wait to accommodate the late arriving diners. That was not right. I think I would have said something to the head waiter and if it happened a second time, cut tips.

I agree that I would rather see a policy in place that says traditional seaters that arrive more than x minutes late will not be seated. ESPECIALLY when there is my time dining for those that don't want to adhere to the specific times. It's not like there aren't plenty of other dining options available if they miss their scheduled time.

CDAMION The late arrivers did NOT arrive within the parameters. I was specifically told that the cut off time was 6:45. They showed up at 7:10. They should have been re-directed to the Windjammer, or made to wait for a possible open table at the 8:30 seating.

CDAMION The late arrivers did NOT arrive within the parameters. I was specifically told that the cut off time was 6:45. They showed up at 7:10. They should have been re-directed to the Windjammer, or made to wait for a possible open table at the 8:30 seating.

Is that really all you are upset about? That someone else was not made to follow the rules? If that is the case, then I am solidly on the no big deal side -- let it go.

The fault lies with RCI - they are responsible for delivering good service, not the other passengers. If RCI chooses not to enforce their rules or guidelines and it annoys other passengers, they have to live with the consequences.

I am always impressed when people display not so common, basic courtesy. However, I will not give the clueless and self-absorbed the power to make me unhappy.

We were just on Majesty last month and MTD is on Deck 4, totally separate from Traditional which was on Deck 3.

Wonder if they mix it up? We were on Majesty last week and had 6pm traditional and we were in Starlight on Deck 4.

The fault lies with RCI - they are responsible for delivering good service, not the other passengers. If RCI chooses not to enforce their rules or guidelines and it annoys other passengers, they have to live with the consequences.

I am always impressed when people display not so common, basic courtesy. However, I will not give the clueless and self-absorbed the power to make me unhappy.

Excellent observation! Also.....a bit late, but welcome aboard Cruise Critic, as an active poster!:)

Royal Caribbean has the ability to step on their own toes........to try to keep passengers happy. Unfortunately, sometimes this happens to the expense of other passengers.

Table times are observed about as well as the dinner dress code.....but don't let me open that ball of wax.

MTD continues to grow in popularity, and we happen to love it. And, one of these cruises.........we will try it, really!!:D;)

Rick

Just back Friday from our Monarch cruise and there was an extremely large contingent of Quinceañeras. On formal night they all arrived together for MTD and were seated in our section. That really screwed up service. We ended up with the maitre d helping to serve our table.

Is that really all you are upset about? That someone else was not made to follow the rules? If that is the case, then I am solidly on the no big deal side -- let it go.

No, I am most upset about the " sucks to be you" attitude of the 2 people I spoke to about the problem. Neither one of them had a tip envelope at the end of the week where I could reflect my displeasure. I'm not one to scream and hollar and make a public scene when something like this happens. I just quietly go away and spend my money elsewhere.

No, I am most upset about the " sucks to be you" attitude of the 2 people I spoke to about the problem. Neither one of them had a tip envelope at the end of the week where I could reflect my displeasure. I'm not one to scream and hollar and make a public scene when something like this happens. I just quietly go away and spend my money elsewhere.

Ding, Ding, Ding -- you just hit the jackpot (lol)!! ;)

Not only have we learned to speak up early about service problems, over the years -- but we've learned that (in most cases) going up the "chain" to the highest person who works for tips, usually gets the best results. :cool: Please don't go "quietly" into that good night -- instead, ask to speak to the head waiter next time. And, if that doesn't work, ask for the maitre-d -- those are the guys who absolutely run the dining room!

Thank you for sharing your experience -- hope your future cruising experiences on RC are better! :)

Sorry, I got focused on the 6:20 you listed as the earliest they showed up subsequently. Yes, they should have been redirected to Windjammer, or pizza, or Compass(if open), or room service. Alternatively, they could have been redirected to the Mytime Dining line if they really wanted to accommodate them in the MDR. They certainly would not have gone hungry if not admitted.

Beyond the inconvenience to you, I wonder if they vacated in time for the 8:30 seating, or if their inconsideration spread to other cruisers too.

Ding, Ding, Ding -- you just hit the jackpot (lol)!! ;)

Not only have we learned to speak up early about service problems, over the years -- but we've learned that (in most cases) going up the "chain" to the highest person who works for tips, usually gets the best results. :cool: Please don't go "quietly" into that good night -- instead, ask to speak to the head waiter next time. And, if that doesn't work, ask for the maitre-d -- those are the guys who absolutely run the dining room!

Thank you for sharing your experience -- hope your future cruising experiences on RC are better! :)

Although it may be too late to get any kind of resolution, I did submit a complaint on the RCCL website. Now the real test is if and how they respond.

If I read your OP correctly, the two people you spoke to were "a girl at the door" and somebody at guest relations. Did you ever talk to the waitstaff? The 2 people you mention are not the ones who could help you in any event. Obviously, not having been there, we cannot evaluate attitude, but if they were rude, that is inexcusable, but there was probably nothing they could do about it if they wanted to.

It seems to me by your most recent posts you are only complaining about the failure to enforce the rules and failure to react to you complaint. If it actually caused you a problem -- like missing a show, I am on your side. But if it was only a few minutes delay in dessert and you ire at the failure to enforce the rules -- not so much.

Sadly the problem lies with people who do not care, NOT with RCI. If they did NOT seat those thoughtless people, they would hear a long string of how horrid RCI is. I don't blame RCI for not enforcing a rule these days like that, but it sure is arrogant of the people who do it.

"We have to accommodate them". ??? They should be sent to the lido buffet, which is open for dinner too. Besides, the same table for these late people needs to be available for the 2nd seating guests (8:30pm?). So there really does need to be a cutoff time. Not dressed appropriately? Again, send them to the buffet. Frankly, the buffet might suit these late people. I hear the food is better than lunch, and shorts are allowed.

"We have to accommodate them". ??? They should be sent to the lido buffet, which is open for dinner too. Besides, the same table for these late people needs to be available for the 2nd seating guests (8:30pm?). So there really does need to be a cutoff time. Not dressed appropriately? Again, send them to the buffet. Frankly, the buffet might suit these late people. I hear the food is better than lunch, and shorts are allowed.

While there may need to be a cutoff time, where does RCI specifically say (now, and not 10 years ago) what that cutoff time is?

Archived