Ruby Princess Big Passport Problem

irenez

We are leaving in December for Hawaii with a stop in Mexico, so passports are recommended. Mine is good through 2013, the other adults through 2015, and the 19 year old expires in April 2011. My childs, ok 18 year old, had a child's passport that expired, so we went ahead and renewed hers. After reading about this and then going to the Princess site and talking to our TA, the 19 year old who is good through April is getting her's renewed so there are no problems or questions.

Just wanted to let others know that their potential lost vacation, has made sure that we have saved ours!

Thanks so everyone who posted!!!

Already expired?

My main response was the suggestion from another post that you can't leave on an airline from Canada to a foreign destination with less than 6 months validity on a passport - a claim that is simply incorrect. The same rules apply to sea travel and Princess is taking a simplistic approach that costs passengers to renew passports earlier than necessary, particularly in places like Canada where they are valid for only 5 years (thankfully, it looks like that is going to change).

I have a question. We are going from Toronto to Las Vegas on Westjet on December 25/11, our passports expire Feb 28/12. If we were driving over the border, we would not need to renew our passport early.

Do we need to renew our passports early if we are flying?

I can fully relate as we forgot our passports for our 2/08 cruise. Luckily we had gone a day early and with lots of help from our TA and FedEx overnight and after a very tense 24 hrs, they arrived w/3 hours to boarding time.

So glad that it all worked out in time for your trip.

Thank you all! Leavong tomorrow for Uk and then onto Barcelona for the Cruise. All worked our, just put me behind a few days in planning... not that I waited untill the last day to book a post cruise hotel stay in Venice. did someone say "lesson learned?". :)

Talk to you all in August!

Thank you all! Leavong tomorrow for Uk and then onto Barcelona for the Cruise. All worked our, just put me behind a few days in planning... not that I waited untill the last day to book a post cruise hotel stay in Venice. did someone say "lesson learned?". :)

Talk to you all in August!

Have a good uneventful flight and have a wonderful cruise.

I have a question. We are going from Toronto to Las Vegas on Westjet on December 25/11, our passports expire Feb 28/12. If we were driving over the border, we would not need to renew our passport early.

Why sweat it? Even if they are technically valid, you might run up against a ticket agent or airport security person who's interpretation is different. Or, there could be a last minute change in regulations that would affect you. They're expiring soon enough after your trip that you might as well renew beforehand. I like knowing that I have a valid passport on hand and ready to go in case I might get the opportunity to use it.

It is my understanding that Crystal Symphony requires a passport for the Roundtrip sailings from San Francisco to Alaska. This trip can be done with birth certificate. I don't know if anyone has challenged them on this. (this was in response to the ticket agent comment)

You'll love the Med. Just be careful in Barcelona. I carry a neck pouch.

Enjoy,

joann

Yes, watch out for the flower ladies. My wife learned a $50 lesson there. When we got back to the ship, we learned about the flower ladies unfortunately too late. Could have been worse I guess.

Yes, watch out for the flower ladies. My wife learned a $50 lesson there. When we got back to the ship, we learned about the flower ladies unfortunately too late. Could have been worse I guess.

Flower ladies????:confused: We are hoping for a 2013 cruise out of Barcelona and I have not heard of this.

I am glad things worked out for the OP regarding passports. I learned from this, too. I will be sure to keep an eye on when my passport comes up for renewal. Not everyone reads all the information on the website or Cruise Personalizer, especially when booking close to the actual cruise. Lesson learned for both the OP and a few of us who are just 'following along'!:D

DH let his passport expire this year. He just got too busy to renew. He did not feel a lot of pressure since this year's vacation was to Hawaii on NCL (no passport needed on that one). However, next year's cruise is the Pacific Coastal on the Sapphire LA - Vancouver. I kept telling him he needed to renew and he kept saying he had a lot of time. We are taking Amtrak back to LA after the cruise and I tried to book it the other day. It turns out, that for Amtrak you must have a valid passport in order to book travel, so I could not book him. I ended up booking our roomette for myself only and will have to add him later. I told him if he doesn't do it soon he will have to ride in the baggage car. He sent his passport in a couple of days ago.:rolleyes:

Flower ladies????:confused: We are hoping for a 2013 cruise out of Barcelona and I have not heard of this.

.:rolleyes:

I've been to Barcelona many times and don't know what the OP is referring to about flower ladies. Perhaps she means those who sell flowers on the Ramblas and when you're looking at flowers someone else picks your pocket? :confused:

Glad this all worked out, but I must say it has been some of the best "lunch" reading this longing for vacation government worker has had in a long time. :p And before anybody responds, yes, I really was at lunch and not goofing off on your or my own dime :D:p Hope they enjoy Barcelona and the Ruby - I will be in Barcelona and then on to the Ruby in 71 days - yippeeeeeeee.

they are referring to the gypsy pickpockets that press their flowers on you, sometimes physically placing the flower/carnations mostly in your clothing whilst they are picking your pockets.

Stay VERY alert in Barcelona - it is a lovely city, but you must remain aware of your surroundings and try not to look like a tourist too much - makes you an easy mark for the pickpockets.

Trip Advisor has some good info and security tips on Barcelona.

they are referring to the gypsy pickpockets that press their flowers on you, sometimes physically placing the flower/carnations mostly in your clothing whilst they are picking your pockets.

Stay VERY alert in Barcelona - it is a lovely city, but you must remain aware of your surroundings and try not to look like a tourist too much - makes you an easy mark for the pickpockets.

Trip Advisor has some good info and security tips on Barcelona.

One must be VERY alert everywhere; not only in Barcelona. Every tourist city has them; called by different names, but all the same. In fact, Barcelona has the baby ladies, as they do in Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. And in Rome........ other kinds of "ladies."

One must be VERY alert everywhere; not only in Barcelona. Every tourist city has them; called by different names, but all the same. In fact, Barcelona has the baby ladies, as they do in Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. And in Rome........ other kinds of "ladies."
I agree. No matter where you are, be vigilant. Several years ago, a couple I met on a cruise had arrived in London after an overnight flight and decided to do some sightseeing to try to stay awake. They went to a McDonalds for a quick, cheap lunch and sat in a booth. He put their camera and video camera bag under the booth's seat. When they got up to leave, it was gone. Security video showed a couple in the booth next to them. A man had reached down and pulled out the bag, a woman walked by and he quickly handed her the bag while the couple continued to have lunch. It was planned and lightning quick. You're in McD's and feel safe. They lost both very expensive cameras.

Going to the US only requires passports be valid for the duration of the trip. Similarly for Mexico. I've flown to the US with less than 6 months remaining and my son recently flew to Mexico on Westjet with less than 6 months validity (about 3.5 months at departure) and had no questions asked (despite that TA paperwork stating should have 6 months validity, which I told him he could safely ignore as just another default, un-researched statement). As long as you have a return ticket to show your return date it shouldn't be a problem. BUT, as other less risk-taking people have mentioned, it is all about how comfortable you are with the SMALL chance that things might change.

We are taking Amtrak back to LA after the cruise and I tried to book it the other day. It turns out, that for Amtrak you must have a valid passport in order to book travel, so I could not book him.

That is because you are crossing the Canadian/USA border.

I was away this week and have not been keeping up on things but wish I had been able to help the OP sooner. Now that it's over (Happilly) I will relay a little story to you:

A few years ago, 2005 I think, I was going skiing in Austria with a buddy and our ski group from Boston. I travel a lot, and had in the 10 years leading up to that point, and took my passport completely for granted. Of course they do not send you anything to alert you that it's about to expire (Not suggesting they should just didn't know they didn't at the time) and you guessed it; I walked up to the Air France counter to check in and the guy literally said "Oot ooh!". My passport had expired 2 days before. :( So here I am all dressed with all the gear for a week of skiing, a 3 day pre ski weekend in Paris before, and I have an expired passport. The flight was delayed 2 hours so i had 4 hours to deal with it. The ticket agent told me it wasn't going to happen... I asked that If I got a passport would I be able to get on todays flight and he said as long as I had it he would get me on but he was booking me for the next day and he had never seen anyone come back with a passport the same day.

The gauntlet had been cast and I was off. With all the gear in tow i hailed a cab and went to the Federal Building in Boston where security is worse than at the airport. The passport office is on the 4th floor and the security people wouldn't let me leave anything on the 1st floor while I ran up to discuss my options so all the gear came with me. Up I went... filled out the form etc, got to the window and the lady behind the glass reminds me that yes... I need a picture. :o There is a passport photo shop directly accross the street in a place that is as big as a closet. Once again schlepping all my stuff I went downstairs, got the world's WORST passport picture taken, went back accross the street to the Fed Bld and went through security AGAIN, Back to the 4th floor Blah blah blah... 20 minuits a handfull of cash later... NEW PASSPORT :D. In all this has taken about an hour and a half. If my flight had not been delayed it would have never have worked. I hailed a cab again and back to the airport I went. As the Taxi approached I saw the ticket agent happened to be sitting with a colleague out having a cigarette at the curb. As I got out of the cab he looked at me and actually said " NO F-Ing Way!!! ". He could not believe it but it happened. Needless to say there was thunderous applauds when I reached the bar where my friends were not only waiting but had told the entire bar about their crazy friend who just got a passport in an hour and a half.

Moral of the story... If you are in this kind of torouble do not try getting someone on the phone. Customer service agents on the phone are trained very specifically to discourage this kind of frantic behavior. But... as we know.... stuff happens. When it does, go directly to the passport office at the nearest major federal (Not all federal buildings have passport centers) and with all your documentation in hand explain your situation calmly, respectfully and grovellingly and you should be able to get out of the jam.

I'm so glad the OP got to go on her cruise and thank God it wasn't her husband's mistake :rolleyes:. I also hope this post helps anyone else in a pickle.

Going to the US only requires passports be valid for the duration of the trip. Similarly for Mexico. I've flown to the US with less than 6 months remaining and my son recently flew to Mexico on Westjet with less than 6 months validity (about 3.5 months at departure) and had no questions asked (despite that TA paperwork stating should have 6 months validity, which I told him he could safely ignore as just another default, un-researched statement). As long as you have a return ticket to show your return date it shouldn't be a problem. BUT, as other less risk-taking people have mentioned, it is all about how comfortable you are with the SMALL chance that things might change.

Check with the airline what their ruled are. As with Princess, airlines sometimes have blanket policies irrespective of the particular immigration rules of the country you are visiting.

If I remember right. Last year the passenger immigration part of the cruise personalizer kept saying incomplete, though I had filled everything out. Reason being was my passport expired less than six months from the end of the cruise.

Glad this worked out for the OP, and that they discovered the problem with a couple of days to work it out.

Several years ago, my mom had a business trip to Japan, and when she went to start packing the day before her flight, she discovered her passport had expired. This was on a Friday afternoon, and she absolutely had to be in Japan Monday. She did some quick calling and discovered that both NY and LA can issue last minute passports on Saturday. (She was in San Francisco).

She booked the red eye to NY Friday, got the passport, came home Saturday night and flew to Japan on Sunday. (She did NY to see my sister and her 10 month old).

Also, in 2010 I had my passport stolen in Argentina on Monday afternoon. We were leaving on the Star on Tuesday. Our local travel agent had her office nearby, so while I was at the police station, my husband went to her office, and called the embassy. They were closed for the day, but told him to get there by 8:30, get a picture taken at the booth across the street, and I should be able to make the sailing. Our TA took me for a picture near her office that day.

The next morning she took us to the embassy (got there early because the hotel concierge said there'd be lines - there were, but not for Americans), and waited for us. The whole process took 90 minutes, and I had a passport good for a year because I indicated I was going to Falklands and they had the 6 months requirement.

By 11:30 I was on the ship signing up for Chef's Table.

Archived