Ruby Princess Big Passport Problem

irenez

We really need help. We are flying out of US Fri 22nd to England and onto Barcelona to board Ruby for a 12 night cruise. Today I went to finish immigration registration and the system told me expiration dates on my kids were invalid. I called princess and the rep told me that there is a requirement of 6 months after the date of travel on your passport to be active. Princess never informed about this, I looked at every country requirement and don't see it (some require 3 months). The rep did not seem to care or know why this requirement is enforced and their immigration department (princess) was closed. I am freaking out. Does anyone know if the system is just buggy and the rep just does not care or know or is U.S. website out of date? Or do I have to get new passports in 3 days?

Thanks, Irene

From my understanding from previous trips, passenger's passports must have over 6 months before expiration for them to accept them at boarding. I hope someone else can say they got away with less, but from what we have found, there were no exceptions or they will not allow you to board the ship.

So sorry....you wont be boarding the ship.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html Right from the US department of state passport site

"If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met."

It is right there on the Princess sight also http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

And from the Passage Contract that Princess gives to everyone when they book ........ iii) Bring all necessary travel documents such as passports, visas, proof of citizenship, re-entry permits, minor’s permissions, medical certificates showing all necessary vaccinations, and all other documents necessary for ports of call in the countries to which You will travel.

It is the Passenger’s sole responsibility to obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel documents. All Passengers are advised to check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. You will be refused boarding or disembarked without liability for refund, payment, compensation, or credit of any kind if You do not have proper documentation, and You will be subject to any fine or other costs incurred by Carrier which result from improper documentation or noncompliance with applicable regulations, which amount may be charged to Your stateroom account and/or credit card.

We really need help. We are flying out of US Fri 22nd to England and onto Barcelona to board Ruby for a 12 night cruise. Today I went to finish immigration registration and the system told me expiration dates on my kids were invalid. I called princess and the rep told me that there is a requirement of 6 months after the date of travel on your passport to be active. Princess never informed about this, I looked at every country requirement and don't see it (some require 3 months). The rep did not seem to care or know why this requirement is enforced and their immigration department (princess) was closed. I am freaking out. Does anyone know if the system is just buggy and the rep just does not care or know or is U.S. website out of date? Or do I have to get new passports in 3 days?

Thanks, Irene

Yes, the 6-month requirement is standard for every cruiseline and tour company that I've used since I can't remember when. Without a passport good for six months after returning to the US, you will not be allowed to board the ship. You might not even be able to board the plane. Every TA I've used has had this in bold on every booking summary. It's in the FAQ's > Cruise Answer Place > Travel Documents. Plenty of prior notification and warnings. With all the countries that Princess (and other cruise/tour companies) go to, they have one policy concerning documents to cover all possible ports/destinations. They don't, and can't, personalize passport requirements for each nationality for each cruise. Destinations sometimes change at the last minute and every possibility needs to be covered.

You should get the passports updated ASAP. It's not that the rep doesn't/didn't care but that this is something that you should have known. Not Princess' fault.

This is from the Princess website (but also check your Princess Personalizer for the passport information that they post on every booking, it should clarify the passport requirements along with this info from the FAQ section).

Passport validity: Many countries require passports be valid for six months after the completion of your travel. Check your passport to verify it will be valid for this period of time. Please ensure the name on the passport matches the name on the booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages. US and Canadian passport holders sailing on a domestic cruise should ensure passports or other travel documents are valid through the completion of travel.

Here's the wording from Princess's website. It doesn't explicitly say they'll deny boarding but the implication is very strong.

Passport validity: Many countries require passports be valid for six months after the completion of your travel. Check your passport to verify it will be valid for this period of time. Please ensure the name on the passport matches the name on the booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages. US and Canadian passport holders sailing on a domestic cruise should ensure passports or other travel documents are valid through the completion of travel.

Remember, you can get renewals in one day, but you probably should be calling right now to make the appointment via the 24/7 telephone appointment system. Here's the number: 877-478-2778.

I just took a look on my Personalizer for next year's South American cruise and it does say very clearly that passports must be valid for six months after final date. I'm afraid, OP, you better get on the phone with State and get yourself those appointments. Good luck.

Immediately (tonight) look up Zierer Visa Service. They are probably your best chance to make this work. If you overnight your passport to them tomorrow morning, there is a good chance you'll be able to get it back on Thursday. You will, of course, pay for this expedited service. But don't beat yourself up over it. The larger issue is saving your vacation, and I think you stand a good chance of doing that. But don't waste a moment!

ETA- I just checked Zierer's website. They can do same day renewals of passports. You will need new photos- can you get some tonight at a Walgreens or something? Make your plans for overnighting your passport tomorrow and you should be fine. The extra cost? $145. A pittance compared to missing the trip.

Irene, sorry you are going through this stressful time but you need to renew them quickly.

Zierers has an office in NY City on 57th Street and I see you are from CT. Call them, get pictures andbgo to the city tomorrow. You will then be get them back on time.

Thak you all for replying. I guess I read all the info as "many but not all countries require 6 months" and then all of my cruise info added that I had to check requirements of individual countries to ensure that we were Ok. Of course, had I registed a month ago, I would have know about this problem far in advance. I already called all the offices today and all the appointments are past our flight date so I am probably going to drive to Stamford CT or NY tomorrow. Does anyone know if you can get a live person on the phone in a passport agency to find out if you can walk in and renew?

Forgive my for being so literal, but nowhere in my documents did I see in RED "Make sure your documents are valid for at leats 6 months past travel". It took me some clicks to even find the implication of "many countried require". I know princess is not respossible for my choice to wait to register but they are informed about this policy (their policy not the countries I am visiting).

WhatCruiseisnext:. I will definitely be boarding the cruise, it will just be more pain than expected to get the docs renewed.

PescadoAmarillo: Thank you, I will defienetly check this out.

I highlighted that copy and paste in red, it is not red on your booking (sorry for the confusion).

I went and checked my booking on Princess.com for my upcoming cruise in October to see where it tells you of the passport timeframe. It is on my 'travel summary' of my booking under 'important notices' as follows (and I would guess that is where you will find it on yours also, you might want to have a look):

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

A passport is required and must be valid for six months after the completion of

travel. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears

on your booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank

pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If

necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain

additional pages.

Thankfully you live in an area where this can probably be fixed in time for your flights. Best of luck, and I hope this all works out for you.

Make absolutely sure you bring everything you need. Make sure the photos of the kids are correctly done. Make sure to bring the kids with you if necessary, bring their father if needed or get notorized signature. Bring check book. Bring all your proper ID that will be needed. Bring more then you think you'll need.

Don't sign forms until in their presence. You can fill out forms online and print them and bring them in. Bring their old passports and birth certificates.

Best wishes. Enjoy the cruise.

Meg

The passport and six months validity requirement is standard in most countries. Unfortunately it is up to the transport provider where you first leave your homeland, to determine whether or not your passport meets the requirements. And it isnt up to the transport provider (cruise/air/train) to inform you of that.

Hope you can work it out - in Australia we can usually get a passport within a day, but under age children may complicate it.

Make absolutely sure you bring everything you need. Make sure the photos of the kids are correctly done. Make sure to bring the kids with you if necessary, bring their father if needed or get notorized signature. Bring check book. Bring all your proper ID that will be needed. Bring more then you think you'll need.

Don't sign forms until in their presence. You can fill out forms online and print them and bring them in. Bring their old passports and birth certificates.

Best wishes. Enjoy the cruise.

Meg

Good point. I think that if the kids are younger than 16 the father has to come in person or have his signature notarized.

Good Luck!

OP:

Connecticut Passport Agency

50 Washington Street

Norwalk, CT 06854

Parking Entrance at 27 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive

1-877-487-2778 call 4 appointment

Appointments Available From 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Monday through Friday

Good Luck!!

I went and checked my booking on Princess.com for my upcoming cruise in October to see where it tells you of the passport timeframe. It is on my 'travel summary' of my booking under 'important notices' as follows (and I would guess that is where you will find it on yours also, you might want to have a look):

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

A passport is required and must be valid for six months after the completion of travel. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.

Same exact wording in the personalizer for my upcoming cruise.

My cruise documents only state that I have to check with certain countries. It does state that Costa has made it a blanket policy for the 6 months rule, but nothing about pricess... Having said this, if I had been alerted, I would have fixed it or if I was more organized and filled out my forms sooner (I booked a few weeks ago). Things happen, we get busy and drop balls, at least this is fixable. I need to call Norwalk tomorrow and see if the can do the same day, it does not mantion it on the link AND their first available appoitnment is 5 days after we leave :(

Thank you all for your moral support, I will figure it out.

Thinking of you today knowing how intense your day is going to be BUT I know that you will get it together and we will see you on board. This has now become a well earned vacation. Good luck! Don't let anyone say no to you. Keep asking for supervisors till you get the answer that you want.

My cruise documents only state that I have to check with certain countries. It does state that Costa has made it a blanket policy for the 6 months rule, but nothing about pricess... Having said this, if I had been alerted, I would have fixed it or if I was more organized and filled out my forms sooner (I booked a few weeks ago). Things happen, we get busy and drop balls, at least this is fixable. I need to call Norwalk tomorrow and see if the can do the same day, it does not mantion it on the link AND their first available appoitnment is 5 days after we leave :(

Thank you all for your moral support, I will figure it out.

Hopefully you were waiting outside their door this morning waiting for them to open. Let us know what happens. Good Luck.

Hi There

Some thing we always check when we make a booking will passport still

be valid.

when we got of the Ruby in May we were told that they had turned away some passengers from boarding due to not having correct visa not sure where they came from.

yours Shogun

Just curious - can anyone tell me "why" the passport must still be valid for 6 mo. past the travel date?

Seems kinda odd that a passport good for 5 years (we're Canadian) is only really good for 4 years 3 months once you factor in the processing time.

:confused:

Thanks.

I'm wishing you all my luck!!! I had my passport "lifted" out of my purse in London a few years ago and was lucky enough to hit the US Embassy the minute they opened. I had a new passport in 6 hours! I think it was 80£. We only missed 7 hours in Rome. Now, I always make 3 copies of that precious document and keep passport in hotel or on ship. I know you will fix this and your family will have a blast!

Just curious - can anyone tell me "why" the passport must still be valid for 6 mo. past the travel date?

Seems kinda odd that a passport good for 5 years (we're Canadian) is only really good for 4 years 3 months once you factor in the processing time.

:confused:

Thanks.

Because "stuff" happens and sometimes, people find themselves in situations where they must stay abroad longer than expected. If their passport expires, there are problems and they are in the country illegally. While six months is extreme, it's standard policy for most countries.

Good point. I think that if the kids are younger than 16 the father has to come in person or have his signature notarized.

Good Luck!

Yes this is true. I decided to let my 15 yr old son's passport expire in March so I could renew it an in August when he truns 16. It was just too difficult for both my wife and I to take time off during the week to get this taken care of plus by waiting until he is 16 he won't have to renew for 10yrs.

Archived