Why doesn't RCI sail from Miami anymore?

In florida maybe...

I actually think Tampa is worse than Miami. Getting there is a little confusing and parking is not convenient to the ship (unless you pay for valet).

That said, RCI's terminal at POM is leaps and bounds better than NCL's. For RCI, you go inside and go upstairs to get screened. NCL's screening and check-in is downstairs and very cluttered. The line for the security screening stretched outside and there were very few check-in agents.

While the view on sailout from Miami is beautiful...I prefer the RCI terminal in Port Everglades to that of Miami, in addition to the ease of flying into and out of FLL...JMHO...;)

I feel the same way.

I also like the wide variety of safe, convenient hotels and restaurants in Fort Lauderdale. It also seems easier to drive and park if I rent a car before or after the cruise.

I, for one, loved the POM. The terminals are far superior (except for T 18) than those at Port Everglades and the view is simply spectacular. I hate the fact that PE is basically a cruise port inside of a cargo port. Miami really was stupid in not getting the OA & AL - just because they wanted more $$.

From what I've heard, Miami has confirmed RCL HQ to stay at the port area and have made a deal with RCL to bring in 352,000+ pax to the port. If they bring more, they receive a discount. However, RCL has sold its rights to one of the terminals. Sadly, 352,000 pax is not that many when you think of the Majesty OTS sailing 2x a week.

Miami has plans to build a mega new terminal (world's largest) to be completed right around the time the OA/AL contract with PE expires. Should be interesting to see what happens then.

The new terminal in Port Everglades is so effieicent... and is only 5 minutes from the airport.

When we first started cruising in the 90's with RCI, all of the ships left from the Port of Miami, but now they all seem to leave from Port Everglades or Port Canaveral. Is it because the ships are bigger these days? We sailed on Explorer out of Miami and that port is the best one for sailaways.:confused:

RCI is still going out of Miami. Majesty of the Seas sails year round from POM. Many of the other ships have been sent to Europe for the summer.

I have no real opinion on this, but I´ve read many many complaints about POM being the worst of all.

4 cruises out of there Voyager, twice on Majesty, and Freedom, I had no problems with Miami. That said, both cruises out of Port Everglades (Navigator, Allure) were great. My airfare from Columbus to FLL is also about $150 less per person.

I've yet to try Canaveral.

We will be doing Mariner out of Miami next May. Just like a few years ago. And won't be returning there. ;) So never have had any disembark issues there. :D Last time on departure though both elevators were broken so taking wheelchair up the escalator was an adventure. Only issue for us going out of Miami is expensive hotels - but that is probably true for any of the port areas.

PE is way better than POM IMHO. The miami airport is the worst airport I've ever flown too and the terminal is no where near as nice as T18. Plus the airport location and the cheaper flights flying in to FLL. Port canaveral is also nice but the airport is a ways away.

Aside from the obvious retort that RCI does, in fact, still sail out of Miami there are some rather obvious reasons why more of their ships are sailing out of other Florida ports, especially Port Everglades. Among those reasons: cheaper flights into and out of FLL, the proximity of the airport to the cruise pier, a multitude of less expensive but comfortable lodging facilities, easier access off of Rt. 95, and a state of the art terminal facility that makes embarkation and debarkation a much more pleasant experience. And since FLL with whatever shortcomings it may have, is so close to MIA that the task of moving so many thousands of passengers in and out of the South Florida area is made much easier. When, and if POM, can compete with all of those factors and offer cruiselines adequate financial incentives, perhaps RCI and other lines will bring more of their ships back to that port.

Bill

My husband and I will be driving down to PE from Tampa on our next cruise. Would you say that it's ok to chance driving down the morning of the cruise?

we live in Valrico (just outside tampa) and we always drive down the morning we leave. We rent a car (budget) leave here around 5:30am. we get to Quay shopping center around 9:30 ish to drop off the car and hop either their shuttle (just a few minutes from port) or a taxi to the terminal. we get travel insurance which covers the day of the cruise which means the drive over (so they have assured me) I like using a rental because if it breaks down they will come and give me a new car. If I used my own I would have to wait for AAA. we take 75 to alligator alley. once you cross over it it just about 25 or 30 minutes more. after the cruise we go back to budget and rent a car for the way home. usually costs the same if we were to pay for the garage for a week.

My husband and I will be driving down to PE from Tampa on our next cruise. Would you say that it's ok to chance driving down the morning of the cruise?

When we cruised out of POM, we drove from Orlando area the night before. We enjoyed a great rate from Priceline near the port. Personally, while it can be done, I wouldn't chance it. A blown tire on the Turnpike, or any other traffic delay would cause me way too much stress. We now go over to Port Canaveral the night (or more) before a cruise, and take advantage of relaxing a day early. The park & cruise specials near Port Canaveral are great too...they include parking. My advice and opinion, check out Port Everglades, as I'm sure some of those hotels have gotten smart with offering parking, shuttle, etc. Heading down a day early means 1 extra day on your vacation!

negc is completely correct about why more ship are going out of Ft Lauderdale. It was a matter of space for the larger ships, the terminal and parking. Miami just had no where to expand to. Plus, it is so close to the airport and expressway. They need a big land crew, they need parking and the traffic in Miami is horrible. Ft Lauderdale is just better all the way around.

RCIs corporate headquarters will remain in Miami, as will the Majesty. There's really no chance of the remainder of the ships going back to Miami as the leases are long term and Oasis/Allure simply will not fit.

The new terminal for Oasis/Allure really is efficient and nice, 15 minutes from curb to ship (usually). The other terminals are old and not as pretty, but the technology is still there, parking is steps away and there's plenty of staff to make it all go smoothly (usually). lol

I'll give Miami one thing though, they do have the view. Oh well.

Last year we decided to try several of the terminals located in Florida. We had been invited on the Pre Inaugural of the Allure, leaving out of PE. We booked the W hotel thru Priceline (a first for me), and then were picked up by friends to head for the Allure. The check in process was a breeze, and the two night cruise, well, very enjoyable! On disembarkation, there is a Hertz rental company near by, where we were in a car in about 15 minutes, and then a quick drive back to the W, where the hotel was kind enough to hold our larger piece of luggage.

We enjoyed a scenic, but long drive (the wrong way) up the coast and then over and back down to Tampa, where we checked the car back in to Hertz, and had a wonderful time exploring Tampa. They have some incredible restaurants there.

After a comfortable nights rest at the Embassy Suites in Tampa, and a good hot breakfast in the hotel (included) we headed out to do a bit of shopping before heading off for the terminal to board the Radiance of the Seas for a great cruise with more friends.

No problem with dis embarkation there, and back to Hertz to rent another car to drive.....this time the correct way (95 to Alligator Alley)and it was about a 4 hour and 15 minute drive to a place in downtown Miami, about 2 blocks from the pier, and Hertz was kind enough to have a driver leave our bags in the trunk and take us to the terminal, where things went smoothly at POM to prepare to board the Majesty, for a b2b.

At the conclusion of our whirlwind three ship cruise, I feel that PE handled everything with extreme effeciency, Tampa was 2nd, and POM, was just about as good as Tampa, until dis embarkation.

We had made sure that we had a later flight home, or, because of the dis embarkation not going so smoothly.........there was a bit of a delay. That was the only downfall of the entire trip.

And during the turn around day at Miami, I was able to tour the corporate offices of Royal Caribbean, which is just a short walk from the pier.

Rick

Went out of POM last Dec & this past Feb.

In Dec stayed at the Intercontinental in

Biscayne Bay for $95 p/n. Great area,

Great Hotel, close to the POM.

In Feb stayed at South Beach, $204 p/n

at the Clinton Hotel. Not worth the price.

Both trips got to the port around 10:30 am

was on the ship both times by noon.

Boarding was no hassle but disembarking

seems to be a cluster _ _ _ _.

But I was on my way home, so nothing

was going to make me happy either way..

You just have to make the best of it.

However, I always book my return flight

after 1:00 pm. Because you just never know!!!

I will say though, despite disliking Port of Miami, I much prefer MIA (Airport) to FLL.

Wow, I feel the opposite. I dislike MIA intensely. FLL is nothing special; it lacks adequate seating and space when cruise passengers arrive early. Still, FLL is easy to navigate and the service is efficient. If I have a late flight, I rent a car, stow my luggage in the trunk and enjoy South Florida rather than camp out at FLL.

Perhaps the difference in impressions of MIA involves a difference in terminals or airlines. When flying AA, we found MIA to have very poor signage, rude staff, poor layout, unwelcoming, etc. Since the signage was almost nonexistant, we asked uniform staff to direct us, and we were sent to the wrong line (a special line for Cuba, where we stuck out like confused sore thumbs, so eventually a more helpful staff member rescued us. maybe the first staff member thought it was funny to send people to the wrong line). Honestly, MIA felt more like a confused foreign, undesirable country instead of a major US airport. We have navigated many US airports ( and several non English speaking foreign ones) before and since without ever feeling anything like AA at MIA. Yuck.

Archived