Why doesn't RCI sail from Miami anymore?

When we first started cruising in the 90's with RCI, all of the ships left from the Port of Miami, but now they all seem to leave from Port Everglades or Port Canaveral. Is it because the ships are bigger these days? We sailed on Explorer out of Miami and that port is the best one for sailaways.:confused:

When we first started cruising in the 90's with RCI, all of the ships left from the Port of Miami, but now they all seem to leave from Port Everglades or Port Canaveral. Is it because the ships are bigger these days? We sailed on Explorer out of Miami and that port is the best one for sailaways.:confused:

Majesty is still sailing from Miami. From what I've read, it seems Port Everglades gave Royal a better deal on Oasis/Allure.

While the view on sailout from Miami is beautiful...I prefer the RCI terminal in Port Everglades to that of Miami, in addition to the ease of flying into and out of FLL...JMHO...;)

I read a while back that Miami wanted a lot of money for the ships to dock there so RCL looked elsewhere. I like Port Everglades because it's closer to the Freeway and FLL airport where I can get better airfare. Hotel choices are good too.

Now if they will just expand the FLL airport terminal...

I have no real opinion on this, but I´ve read many many complaints about POM being the worst of all.

I took LIBERTY OTS from Miami in March . . yes they are presently operating in the Med.

it is all about $$$ and various Florida Ports are competing vigorously for the business while at the same time passengers are being more selective in which ports they prefer due to the supporting airport, local hotels and food, parking options an and . . .

20 years ago Miami was THE port and Lauderdale/Port Everglades and Port Canaveral had a little bit of the spill over trade. The tide has certainly shifted and watch out for Jacksonville to continue to grow.

But there is one other factor to remember and that is time/distance realities. Miami, Evergades, Canaveral hold a huge advantage in their ability to host the shorter cruises because the ship's can get to Nassau and back quickly where as leaving from say Tampa is a problem for a 3 nite cruise that needs to visit a non-US port . . . time/distance/speed/fuel cost . . . .

I, for one, loved the POM. The terminals are far superior (except for T 18) than those at Port Everglades and the view is simply spectacular. I hate the fact that PE is basically a cruise port inside of a cargo port. Miami really was stupid in not getting the OA & AL - just because they wanted more $$.

From what I've heard, Miami has confirmed RCL HQ to stay at the port area and have made a deal with RCL to bring in 352,000+ pax to the port. If they bring more, they receive a discount. However, RCL has sold its rights to one of the terminals. Sadly, 352,000 pax is not that many when you think of the Majesty OTS sailing 2x a week.

Miami has plans to build a mega new terminal (world's largest) to be completed right around the time the OA/AL contract with PE expires. Should be interesting to see what happens then.

I figured money had to be at the root of the reason. I like Port Everglades and it is an easier port to sail out of, but the airport is too small. With the size of Oasis/Allure, it needs to be bigger. Miami is really beautiful to sail from, but as long as I'm on a ship, any port will do.:)

I have no real opinion on this, but I´ve read many many complaints about POM being the worst of all.

Ditto, we will avoid Miami port if at all possible since we using it last Fall. It was the worst!:eek:

Right from entering the Terminal front door to trying to board a cab after waiting in a long line for ages, while others are exiting cabs with luggage in front of you. They had no separate area for unloading cabs and loading cabs. Disorganized chaos! Embarking and disembarking were just as bad.

I hate sailing out of Port of Miami. It's a zoo, disembarking and trying to catch a shuttle or taxi is complete insanity when 8 ships are docked at the same time (and of course the two RCCL ships were always the last in line for taxis and shuttles).

I don't really care about the airports, since i'm rarely lucky enough using points to fly in to the one closest to the port. Last year sailing out of Miami I flew in and out of FLL, this year sailing out of Everglades, flying into MIA and out of PBI. :o

I prefer cruising out of Port Everglades myself. I drive down to the port from Tampa and there are so many places to stay and many gas stations right near the port. On the otherhand, Miami has no gas stations anywhere in sight and it is not as easy to drive to compared to Ft. Lauderdale.

I prefer cruising out of Port Everglades myself. I drive down to the port from Tampa and there are so many places to stay and many gas stations right near the port. On the otherhand, Miami has no gas stations anywhere in sight and it is not as easy to drive to compared to Ft. Lauderdale.

My husband and I will be driving down to PE from Tampa on our next cruise. Would you say that it's ok to chance driving down the morning of the cruise?

My husband and I will be driving down to PE from Tampa on our next cruise. Would you say that it's ok to chance driving down the morning of the cruise?

It's about a 4 to 4-1/2 hour drive. If you leave early enough, you shouldn't have a problem. Much safer than folks that take the risk of flying in the morning of the cruise. Flights can be delayed for whatever reason.

In florida maybe, but in my opinion nothing comes close to the madhouse that Cape Liberty is up in Bayonne. I've never seen lines so long that barely moved like I have trying to board EOS in the late morning. Not to mention getting into the port area, how drab the place is, awful parking situation, and the seeming lack of taxis and such on the way out.

Guess I have just been lucky..but so far I have not had any problems sailing out of Miami..last year I was off the ship & in a cab to the airport by 8 am...I like flying into Ft. Lauderdale...but it always seems to take much longer to debark there for some reason...

The only time I have been through Royal's terminal in POM was for an X cruise. The terminal itself seemed very nice. But unless they either get better ships or better rates there I won't be doing an RCI cruise from POM any time soon. Freedom and Monarch are both closer to my house, and the price differences are not usually significant.

Just FYI, both Carnival terminals at POM are excellent and they still have major presence there. I'm not trying to sell you on them, but if you enjoy sailing from port of Miami they might be worth a look.

When we first started cruising Miami was "the" cruise port. At least for RCCL, NCL, and Carnival. Once we moved to Florida and started driving it became clear that Miami was our last choice.

Tampa is great as long as you want a western itinerary and want to sail in the winter. RCCL, Carnival, NCL, and Celebrity sail from Tampa. Year round it's only Carnival. Only medium sized ships can get under the Skyway bridge at the entrance to the bay so no mega ships. Great hotels, good choice of restaurants, airport is close, and easy access to the port right off the interstate.

Port Canaveral is great if you are driving. Super easy access from the road. Cocoa Beach is right there with a ton of motels, restaurants, and gas stations. East and west itineraries too. The airport distance to the port is a pain though. It's about 45 minutes on a toll road and that's the only real way to get there.

Port Everglades is right next to the airport and easy access from the road. A huge port with the most ships of any place these days. Not quite as touristy as PC with close motels and the beach. It has the channel to handle the mega ships and does east and west itineraries. Far easier to get in and out compared to Miami. Miami just has one ship from RCCL and that's for 3-4 day Bahamas. You can do 3-4 day Bahamas from PC as well and avoid Miami.

My general experience comparing Miami and Fort Lauderdale as ports of embarkation from someone who flies:

Hotels in/near Fort Lauderdale are MUCH MORE likely to have free shuttles to/from the airport, and sometimes the cruiseport.

We live near PC and when we go out of PE we stay overnight at a hotel that has inexpensive parking for the duration of the cruise plus great shuttle service. There are several that offer that in the area.

In florida maybe, but in my opinion nothing comes close to the madhouse that Cape Liberty is up in Bayonne. I've never seen lines so long that barely moved like I have trying to board EOS in the late morning. Not to mention getting into the port area, how drab the place is, awful parking situation, and the seeming lack of taxis and such on the way out.

Cape Liberty is second worst port--- after Miami Port for us.........

I'll be taking the Majesty next Monday, out of Miami obvisouly, and you guys are scaring me saying that it's the worst port?! What am I in for? Have any tips on making it not so awful?

Be ready to line up or sit on the floor waiting. They were very long hour++ clearing the ship. Then it was chaos calling those to board. The room was packed!

Watch signs or ask someone IF you see anyone to ask which, or where the sign for carousel assignment is, carousel your luggage will be on when disembarking. Then prepare for Long snaking line with your luggage to clear to the outside.

Then prepare for a mess of a taxi line up. Take a deep breath when you are Free!!!:rolleyes:

Be ready to line up or sit on the floor waiting. They were very long hour++ clearing the ship. Then it was chaos calling those to board. The room was packed!

Watch signs or ask someone IF you see anyone to ask which, or where the sign for carousel assignment is, carousel your luggage will be on when disembarking. Then prepare for Long snaking line with your luggage to clear to the outside.

Then prepare for a mess of a taxi line up. Take a deep breath when you are Free!!!:rolleyes:

Maybe we've been lucky, but I've sailed out of Miami many times (been on Majesty 5 time alone) and never had that problem. We have got there at different times, but it's generally been around 11am, or after 1:30pm. We park there (live in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area) so fortunately taxis are not a problem and cannot comment on them. For us embarkation has been a breeze, we are parked and on the ship within 10-15 minutes. Getting off is more of a struggle, more for the customs agents then the luggage. For a 3-4 nighter we just self-disembark, so the person taking the Majesty coming up may want to do that. (Granted, the line for self disembark on the ship gets LONG unless you are platinum+, but that is a ship issue, not port)

Archived