Platinum Level Internet Cafe Minutes

Orangefan

On my April Ruby Princess cruise, I thought I would try the Internet Cafe. While I don't need to be on line, I thought since the Platinum level gives you minutes I would try it. I also thought I would try to print my boarding passes for flights back home. I spoke to 2 different managers of the Internet Cafe and they were telling me there was a start up fee even for the Platinum Level. I was wondering what other people were experiencing on their cruises and if they had to pay a start up fee.

Thanks ! Sali

On my April Ruby Princess cruise, I thought I would try the Internet Cafe. While I don't need to be on line, I thought since the Platinum level gives you minutes I would try it. I also thought I would try to print my boarding passes for flights back home. I spoke to 2 different managers of the Internet Cafe and they were telling me there was a start up fee even for the Platinum Level. I was wondering what other people were experiencing on their cruises and if they had to pay a start up fee.

Thanks ! Sali

I have never had to pay the start up fee of $3.95 (last I looked) with our minutes they give us. Whenever we used our complimentary minutes, there was no fee attached. I think those two managers were mistaken (maybe they were new)?

We paid over $12 to check in and print boarding passes last month on the Crown and when we got to the gate at Heathrow, one of the boarding passes did not have the full bar code printed. Beware! We had to go all the way back to the Delta desk!

We paid over $12 to check in and print boarding passes last month on the Crown and when we got to the gate at Heathrow, one of the boarding passes did not have the full bar code printed. Beware! We had to go all the way back to the Delta desk!
They charged you $12 for the Platinum/Elite package? I'd go screaming to the Purser's desk to have that reversed. That shouldn't have happened.

Yes, there's a $3.95 "set-up" charge for the Internet package. I'll have to check to see if I was actually charged or not.

Not sure if it is on all the ships but last month on the Crown when you went to sign in the first time for the Platinum/Elite benefit when you enter your Name and Cabin # it automaticly tells you how many free minutes you are entitled to and asks if you want to increase it or not. With this system there is no having the package charged to your seapass account and then credited back afterwards and also no $3.95 set up fee appears.

I used my Platinum minutes for the very first time in April and there wasn't a start up fee.

I don't typically get on the internet when I'm cruising but my mom who usually stays my little cat passed away so I had a friend checking in on my cat. So she would email every night to let me know my girl was ok.

Not sure if it is on all the ships but last month on the Crown when you went to sign in the first time for the Platinum/Elite benefit when you enter your Name and Cabin # it automaticly tells you how many free minutes you are entitled to and asks if you want to increase it or not. With this system there is no having the package charged to your seapass account and then credited back afterwards and also no $3.95 set up fee appears.
They are implementing this on Princess; I don't think it's available on all of them yet.

Exactly the same for us in may on the Grand

Much less complicated IMO

Srpilo

No start up fee on the Golden, Sapphire or Emerald. There should NOT be A start-up fee. maybe if you bring your OWN computer there would be a fee? I don't know. I only use the ship's computers though.

No start up fee on the Golden, Sapphire or Emerald. There should NOT be A start-up fee. maybe if you bring your OWN computer there would be a fee? I don't know. I only use the ship's computers though.

No start up fee on Emerald in May or Island in June and I used both the internet cafe AND my own laptop.

I have a related question that I suppose I should know the answer to. I am platinum, my sister is gold. As we are sharing a cabin, will she be able to have free internet minutes on her own card, or will it be just me? (She never goes online, but I do, a lot!). EM

The activation fee is for those not having the complementary platinum-elite-suite minutes.

This applies on your own computer or the ship's computers.

I'm looking forward to DH and I both having free internet on our next cruise. It will be our first time as Plantinum. The odd part is I usually buy an internet package to keep in touch with our DD but she will be with us on this upcoming cruise. I'm sure she will find a way to help us use them! :)

I have a related question that I suppose I should know the answer to. I am platinum, my sister is gold. As we are sharing a cabin, will she be able to have free internet minutes on her own card, or will it be just me? (She never goes online, but I do, a lot!). EM

Sharing a cabin with a Platinum does not get her free internet. If you aren't going to use all your minutes, you could let her sign as you and use some of your minutes.

The package, whether it's a purchased package or a Platinum/Elite free package, is per-passenger. Even married couples have separate accounts. So, the answer is that your sister will need to get her own package unless you are willing to share the login and password.

They charged you $12 for the Platinum/Elite package? I'd go screaming to the Purser's desk to have that reversed. That shouldn't have happened.

Yes, there's a $3.95 "set-up" charge for the Internet package. I'll have to check to see if I was actually charged or not.

Pam, I read this as sunshine nana was using pay by the minute internet and that she was warning others about the boarding pass bar code not printing fully onboard her ship.

IMO it is better to just check in online and to confirm flight time, then print your boarding passes at the airport kiosk since usually these are located near the checked luggage drop off counter.

Pam, I read this as sunshine nana was using pay by the minute internet and that she was warning others about the boarding pass bar code not printing fully onboard her ship.

IMO it is better to just check in online and to confirm flight time, then print your boarding passes at the airport kiosk since usually these are located near the checked luggage drop off counter.

I agree with this. I also check in on off peak times when the internent isn't at a stand still.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our first cruise as platinum. What is the procedure for using the free internet package? Do I need go to the internet desk or can I just sign in as I would at Panera’s or at a hotel (I will have my own laptop and/or iPod with me)?

Thanks ! Sali

We were on the Golden last November... the Internet Cafe attendant directed us to a computer and said to just sign on with our cabin number. Our free minutes were there, and I don't believe we were charged a set up fee. How can they charge you a set up fee, when there was NOTHING to set up??

We were on the Golden last November... the Internet Cafe attendant directed us to a computer and said to just sign on with our cabin number. Our free minutes were there, and I don't believe we were charged a set up fee. How can they charge you a set up fee, when there was NOTHING to set up??

The set-up fee is charged to those who do not have a free package.

Archived