Port or Starboard

blitznbobs

We like to sit out on our balcony late afternoon and early evening. We always have second seating. We don't like the sun in our eyes, so I try to pick a cabin on the side facing east most of the cruise. That way the sun is on the other side of the ship late in the day.

Our priority when selecting our cabin is being mid ship.

If we do know the direction of the sun and if that direction is a constant then we try to select a cabin that will not get direct afternoon sun. We do this because for certain itineraries the afternoon sun can make the cabin quite hot in the afternoon.

Keith

Which do you prefer? And why?

It depends on the itinerary. For example, on a 10 day Southern Caribbean, we opted for starboard because we would get the sunrise on the two sea days returning to FLL. On our upcoming cruise we selected Port side because it faces South for our transatlantic sea days to FLL. It all depands on what you want. Don't count on port side always facing the docks though. These ships can dock using both sides.

Larry

No preference for me. I do examine deckplans to see what's is above, below, and next to the cabin I am booking, but don't really favor one side over another.

Also check any cabin info pages to learn where the crew and supply doors are. It would be a shame to get a cabin directly across the hall from a supply room or crew access door that is constantly being opened and closed at all hours.

Doesn't really matter. Sometimes the ship will "back" into a berth, sometimes dock on the left side, sometimes the right side of the pier, so when you are docked in a port, it's not always docked the same way so you don't know beforehand if you'll be facing the port, the bay, or another ship. At sea, one day you might have the sun in the morning, another day the sun in the afternoon all depending on what dircetion the ship is headed that day.

We have found that in many ports it is better to face away from the port area

The challenge with this is that in many ports you never know in what the direction the ship will face so the port side may actually not face the actual pier.

Keith

I prefer the port side just aft of the atrium elevators. That's where I've been on 90% of my cruises so I never have to think about what direction to go when I leave my cabin or when getting off an elevator. On the occasions that I've had a starboard cabin I end up spinning in circles 1/2 the time.

I think that it depends on the cruise itinerary. I just got off the Carnival Splendor, and was in a port balcony. This was pierside in Puerto Vallarta, and the tender side in Cabo. I was able to see "Los Arcos" as we sailed into Cabo from my balcony as well.

Also, on the southerly cruise towards ports, I saw some cool lightning and thunderstorms on the coast ~14 miles away. That is of course luck of the draw.

Archived