Coffee!!

Holey

Can you take your own thermal mug to get brewed coffee there or do you have to use their coffee cups?

I guess you can bring your own cup. Not sure if anyone does? I like only 1 good cup in the morning.. I usually drink it before it gets cold.

Hi,

everyone who has travelled with Princess says the coffee is lousy.. We are travelling from London England to Florida. Can anyone tell me if we can bring a sealed pack of coffee over and do we have to declare it?

They are right about the coffee. It is undrinkable swill that is not fit for man or beast. We bring a French Press and a coffee grinder.

DON

Why I do declare... That is what comes to mind when I hear posters tell us that they do not mind the coffee. Coffee should not be just "minded" it should be enjoyed. And there is nowhere between here and the remnants of the Titanic that anyone can say they ENJOY Princess' coffee. Odd that they can prepare and serve, for a price, a decent cup of coffee aboard but you have to pay for it through a card system. They say there is no way they can prepare suitable coffee for the thousands of passengers aboard but they can prepare for at least half of them at a given cost. It is high time that Princess bite the bullet and accept the fact that their coffee is ruining their repretation and that there can be and should be an answer to this problem It is not rocket science...

Board 2,000 plus people-no problem, keep track of everyones spending onboard-no problem, make drinkable coffee-- easier to go to Mars. That sound about right? I don't know yet. Going to find out!

I dont believe the http://www.slushee-usa.com/hotcap.html count as a real capp, or latte.

EWWWW .... That is not what I consider to be a real capp or latte. A resort we stayed at in Mexico had that machine and it was not great, even if free.

We get the coffee card and *I* am the one elected by default (Mr.QT is still sleeping) to go get a double wet (slightly more milk) Capp and a fresh brewed coffee, I have always just had one punch for this. The princess coffee served at the MDR is not great but I put so much cream and brown sugar in it it is ok.

I have had the Via's and really like them as well.

Princess really needs to improve their coffee. The problem with the coffee card is that when there are ports just about every day and people want to get off the ship early, the quickest way to get coffee is room service which includes the coffee and the breakfast. There isn't enough time to get some decent coffee elsewhere.

Coffee is a very subjective taste and one person's ambrosia is another's poison. I've tried Starbucks several times and wound up pouring it out it was so awful. Disgusting stuff. You could never, ever get me to try it again. I've always drunk coffee black and gag at the thought of putting milk, cream and/or sugar in it yet there are many who can't drink coffee without. The point is that it comes down to personal taste and preference, and there are enough Princess passengers who enjoy the coffee, or fail to mention their dislike on the comment card, so Princess will continue to serve the coffee they do. If you don't like it, get a coffee card.

Would someone please describe the Princess coffee machines. Are they similar to the Douwe Egbert ones that you often see in hospital cafeterias and other buffets?

At home we grind coffee for each pot and use a french press. Do I expect that on board--no! Do I mind buying a coffee card -no! It will be used for the daily latte that we treat ourselves to when we are on holiday and if we need to--a regular cup of brewed coffee. My big question is how to get a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning from room service apart from packing a pot!

Hi Alaskanb,

Your question how to get a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning (from room service). Bring Folgers coffee 'singles' and simply request hot water from room service.. Folgers singles are like coffee tea bags..

I believe I have read that the coffee card is now $33 + change. Is it my understanding that you can only bring a coffee pot that automatically turns off after brewing? Are you able to get two fresh brewed off one card, or will you need two cards? Thanks for your expertise!

In the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.00/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35 buys a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and other lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise.

You definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine. .

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, same as ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

You'll find brewed coffee from grounds at some lounges, and in the International Cafe. Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

Coffee is a very subjective taste and one person's ambrosia is another's poison. I've tried Starbucks several times and wound up pouring it out it was so awful. Disgusting stuff. You could never, ever get me to try it again. I've always drunk coffee black and gag at the thought of putting milk, cream and/or sugar in it yet there are many who can't drink coffee without. The point is that it comes down to personal taste and preference, and there are enough Princess passengers who enjoy the coffee, or fail to mention their dislike on the comment card, so Princess will continue to serve the coffee they do. If you don't like it, get a coffee card.

Why would Princess want to improve their coffee?? Many of us will go and buy the coffee card because we can't or don't want to drink what they are offering. If the regular coffee was improved, maybe we wouldn't buy the cards?? ;)

Princess really needs to improve their coffee. The problem with the coffee card is that when there are ports just about every day and people want to get off the ship early, the quickest way to get coffee is room service which includes the coffee and the breakfast. There isn't enough time to get some decent coffee elsewhere.

When Mrs. Pablo awakens, I simply walk to the i.cafe with a travel

mug, and get her brewed coffee.

Who has time to wait for room service?

If she's still sleeping a few minutes before I go to the gym,

I get the coffee, and leave it in the cabin for her.

I use an instant off kettle and a melita filter, but I have just found a new filter cone that will be so much easier to pack! http://www.amazon.com/Cuissential-SlickDrip-Collapsible-Silicone-Dripper/dp/B0051HEFAS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312550726&sr=8-4

:D

That is awesome!!

What size is your instant off kettle...it sounds like it could be bulky to pack.

Your right, the quickest way is to pre order your room service. That is if it arrives on time. I can walk down to the cafe that serves capps. and latts. usually there and back in under 10 min. LOL,,,my wife enjoys the morning stroll. AND we get good coffee instead of the coffee make in a mega pot (enough for 1000 people) which was most likely made 2-4 hours earlier..

Hi There

International Cafeand a few bars etc, have excellant coffee, the other coffee just takes a day or two to tune into after that its OK

yours Shogun

:D Thankyou Shogun,

That is awesome!!

What size is your instant off kettle...it sounds like it could be bulky to pack.

Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. :o I have one similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-17-Ounce-Electric-Kettle/dp/B004EBV0IW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312917200&sr=8-1 Actually, this is it... not cordless. I was worried about the hot plate of the cordless one. http://www.barharbortea.com/Tea-Kettles/122-Bodum-Mini-Ibis-Electric-Water-Kettle.html I think it's personal preference as to corded or cordless.

It's only about 10" tall. Not quite big enough for a pound package of DD coffee to fit inside! I use the collapsible filter cone and melita filters, both fit inside the pot. It's quiet and fast. Takes about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to boil and instantly shuts off when it boils. It makes 2 nice size cups of coffee/tea/hot chocolate/etc

Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. :o I have one similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-17-Ounce-Electric-Kettle/dp/B004EBV0IW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312917200&sr=8-1 Actually, this is it... not cordless. I was worried about the hot plate of the cordless one. http://www.barharbortea.com/Tea-Kettles/122-Bodum-Mini-Ibis-Electric-Water-Kettle.html I think it's personal preference as to corded or cordless.

It's only about 10" tall. Not quite big enough for a pound package of DD coffee to fit inside! I use the collapsible filter cone and melita filters, both fit inside the pot. It's quiet and fast. Takes about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to boil and instantly shuts off when it boils. It makes 2 nice size cups of coffee/tea/hot chocolate/etc

That looks really good! I was also considering getting one or two of the french press travel mugs. Amazon.com: Bodum 16-Ounce Travel Coffee Press with Bodum Logo: Home & Garden

Archived