Has anyone walked to the Allure and/or Oasis Terminal

Has anyone ever walked to the Allure and/or Oasis cruise terminal from 17th Street and Eisenhower Blvd? (I think it is Terminal 18)

(The reason I am asking is because I have read about nightmare traffic tie ups when the Allure/Oasis is in port. People sitting in cabs for 30 to 45 minutes for such a short distance.)

From the map, passenger terminal 18 looks to be between one or at most two miles from the corner of 17th Street and Eisenhower. Is that correct?

I would like to hear from people who have experienced the traffic jams in addition to those who have walked from 17th Street.

Thanks.

How long ago since you heard of these traffic jams? We had no problems what so ever and the whole port seemed incredibly efficient when we went on Allure. That would be a really long walk with few or no sidewalks, especially if your carrying a weeks worth of luggage. As we get close to the 10th anniversary of 9/11/01 it might get even more difficult to walk. It doesn't seem practical, but I have heard of people asking about it.

I WOULD NOT WALK! First off, when I was there, no traffic! :D It was great! Easiest embarkation ever! Now on the other side of the street on the Carnival terminal, complete chaos. ;) Also the weather is HOT HOT HOT! 15 minutes hauling around luggage in that weather would still be worse than 1 hour in a cab. But no worries, you wont spend any time in the cab because there's no traffic.

My sister and her family went on the Oasis in June and said the traffic jams had them sitting in the cab for over 45 minutes just to go about a mile.

They also said that after the cruise there was a long line to get a cab to take them to the airport.

We will be going in October.

We have NEVER experienced the issues with cabs in Fort Lauderdale you are describing. However we've never sailed in June which possibly is the difference.

We usually head to the port around 11AM.

I would strongly advise you not to walk as well. Security is tight, and the sidewalks are few.

We will be cruising in October also, on Allure though!

Have a wonderful time...and don't worry. Really!

I can't imagine anyone walking in that port. It's a commercial port and I would imagine there would be some security concerns.

I've sailed out of that port a few times now. Each time, I pulled in around 10:30, and each time we went straight to the ship. No traffic whatsoever.

Allure of the Seas - June 26th sailing. Left Embassy Suites via van shuttle at about 11:15 AM - Aboard Allure in Royal Promenade by 11:35. No delays at all!

At end of cruise, used luggage Valet program. Left ship @ 9AM, went through immigration and walked right out to multiple cabs to go to FLL airport. The easiest thing ever.

My DH just did recon on this last month! He said that from the port hotel area ( we are staying at the Renaissance ), it would be about a mile to walk, but as others have said, not really conducive to walking, there are checkpoints and sidewalks appear and disappear, very gritty, probably hot of course toting even carry ons will be tedious after a 1/4mile or so.

So our choice is go with the cab.

I must disagree with the other posters; on traffic during our December NOS cruise we took the RCI transfer from MIA to port along with a bunch of Oasis pax. No traffic getting to port but The busses were stacked 15 back on the Oasis bus loop- not allowed to off load because all the " parking slots" were occupied. We sat for about 20 minutes and I was horrified because no one moved in that time. They would not let you out to walk. We were thinking we would never get on NOS, when the driver decided to pull around & drop the NOS pax first and then go back to Oasis. Have no idea when they finally got off that bus, but wasn't anytime soon. Taxis appearred to have a different area. No bus for us on our Oasis trip based on that mess!

So to actually answer your question, yes, I've walked it recently. I was on a run to Walgreens between B2B Allure cruises. Very doable. you do have to pass thru a security checkpoint, so bring ID, but the 17th Street and Eisenhower Blvd entrance is pretty low-key compared to some of the others. It could be warm and the walk wouldn't be easy with a ton of luggage.

Just want to share our traffic experience... There was an accident the morning we boarded Allure. We were ahead of it and able to enter the port without too much delay, but there was a TON of traffic behind us. I assume this is the exception to the rule, but please be aware that there are back ups from time to time.

As for walking, I wouldn't for safety reasons (sidewalk access), but go for it if you're comfortable with it.

So to actually answer your question, yes, I've walked it recently. I was on a run to Walgreens between B2B Allure cruises. Very doable. you do have to pass thru a security checkpoint, so bring ID, but the 17th Street and Eisenhower Blvd entrance is pretty low-key compared to some of the others. It could be warm and the walk wouldn't be easy with a ton of luggage.

Thank you GMoney for your reply. Glad to hear from someone who actually walked to and from the ship. We thought the walk wouldn't be that bad since we each only take one Travelpro rolling suitcase.

Thanks for posting this link but it says nothing about what OP is asking. It has guidelines for "visitors", not clarifying that those visitors are either walking in or driving in.

I would guess most would be happy to know this info if walking or driving in on their own. Since the answer to the OP'S post was in post #11(before my post) I will asume U missed it.

I must disagree with the other posters; on traffic during our December NOS cruise we took the RCI transfer from MIA to port along with a bunch of Oasis pax. No traffic getting to port but The busses were stacked 15 back on the Oasis bus loop- not allowed to off load because all the " parking slots" were occupied.

This may be the key to the inconsistent reports. Another reason to get there early or take a cab, I have to GUESS even when the bus spots fill, the cabs and hotel shuttles may have their own spots if you can get past the busses.

We stayed at the Renaissance pre-cruise. Cost for 4 persons in one cab -- $7.00. Took 5 minutes to get to the pier to drop off bags. Walking is too dangerous, and it would take an hour in hot/humid weather to drag your bags to pier 18. Not to mention that the cabbies and buses that go through there are trying to get you in and get out for another group as quickly as possible :eek:

I called the Port Security Office and they confirmed that passengers are able to walk from any of the 3 security entrances to their ship terminal.

From the 17th Street security check point to Terminal 18(Oasis/Allure) it is 1.4 miles.

So for those who are willing and able, who only bring one rolling suitcase and who want the exercise...you are allowed to walk. :)

Remember to have your ID ready and available for the security officer, that also goes for those traveling in cabs and shuttles.

Happy Sailing Everyone!

I don't know about walking, but we have been in a cab when things were pretty backed up to get through the security gates to enter the port. It can be a bit frustrating sitting there watching the cab meter tick away.:rolleyes:

We took a van shuttle along with about 8 other passengers from the Embasy Suites to the Allure for a June 26th sailing and no one checked any passengers in the van at security.

Same here. Only when passing through security once inside the terminal itself

This may be the key to the inconsistent reports. Another reason to get there early or take a cab, I have to GUESS even when the bus spots fill, the cabs and hotel shuttles may have their own spots if you can get past the busses.

Bill- I believe you are right; as well as I can recall, the new terminal had a bus loop and a seperate car/taxi loop, similar to mist airports. I don't recall any taxi back up, just the busses stacked up. But every review I've read says people whiz right through, so this may have been an unusual situation.

DSJL- thanks for getting it straight from the horses mouth! It's tempting to try it. We always pack light and rolly; most of our trips are land based, so we've learned to pack only what we can comfortably move ourselves. I don't really think we'd save much in cab fare, but we like to get exercise daily( though a mile walk, even with the extra weight won't get our heart rates up much. So wevare going to evaluate the day ( traffic, heat etc) and decide about walking or not.

Archived