3 days in Bermuda....what would you do?

dongordon

May I suggest that you check out the Bermuda Ports of Call board. Lots of people post their plans...and others provide feedback on whether the plans are feasible. I any event, what to do varies based on your personal preferences. Are you a beach goer, a snorkeler, a shopper? Do you like to see historical sights? Do you want to hire a certified tour guide?

i went on this cruise to bermuda in 2009 with my mom. we got off the ship and could not handle the heat so we got back on board 1 hour later and never left the ship. since then my dh and i went on a15 night cruise to carribean and had wondeful time at the beaches. if i go to bermuda again i would love to spend all my time in the warm water beaches that have beach bars!!!

My plans are loosely:

Day one - get off the ship and take the ferry to St George's. Do the walking tour from the Fodor (I think) bermuda book. Take the bus to the Rum Swizzle in for lunch. Also go to the caves. Take a scenic bus ride back to the ship.

Day two - I think we are going to check out a few beaches - especially Elbow and Horseshoe. I also want to do afternoon tea this day.

On the evening of Day one or two, we will go to Hamilton for a drink or two.

Day three - take the ferry to Hamilton and do the walking tour and check out some of the shops.

In 1980, I went to Bermuda on Spring Break. 31 years later, I am going back with a college friend. We will be spending some of the time seeing how things have changed. He has not been back since. I have a number of times.

What plans would you make after docking in Bermuda?

Day 1?

Day 2?

Day 3?

what we did this year was what we normally don't do...... and it worked.

Day one we took the taxi to Horseshoe bay.....(see if you can find some other cruisers to share a mini bus with you, it is cheaper).

Day 2, we did the Hartley's dive (it takes a long time, you will leave the dock at 930 and will not get back until around 12-1230.) We wouldn't have done this again, we loved the helmet dive, but doing this cut our day very short. So on this day 2, I would take the ferry over to St. George's and explore this area. The beaches are wonderful and not a lot of people go here. Then on day three, this is when you can do the excursion and then maybe head over to the beaches again. Stay away from Snorkle Park. It was ok for free, but not worth the $5 pp.

Lisa

What do you like to do? Tell us & we'll offer some suggestions with how to do it.

Before you answer, download & read the Bermuda Sightseeing & Activities guide = http://www.insightcruises.com/pdf/Bermuda/Sightseeing.pdf

SBtS

My wife and I are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary on this cruise. I love the beaches, she enjoys shopping and the beach bars with their quaint restaurants.

"Day 3" we have to get back to the ship by 4:00 PM for departure.

@dongordon -

Three days in Bermuda on a cruise? We would not take that cruise in the first place, not enough sea days. :)

However, should we be caught in a situation like that, we probably would stay on board and enjoy the empty ship. OK, maybe we'd get off the ship and do a walkabout and a little shopping. I know, it takes all kinds. Cruising for us means to be on the ocean - in our aft cabin, moving.

Sightseeing? We did that in my previous life, in the airlines business. Now it's time to relax.

So why our cruise to the Bahamas next Saturday? 13th birthday present for our grandson.

For one day, take the bus to Horseshoe Bay, and while there, you could follow the paths that connect HSB to these beaches: Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay, Jobson's Cove , and Warwick Long Bay. This is an easy walk on the paths, less than .7 mile.

Here are some YouTube videos:

Horseshoe Bay Beach :

Chaplin Bay:

Stonehole Bay:

Jobson's Cove:

Warwick Long Bay

The other day take the ferry to Hamilton for shopping.

Last day, tour the Dockyard.

But there is so much more to Bermuda than beaches & shopping. Read the guide.

You will enjoy Bermuda.

SBtS

This is our second trip to Bermuda and the first one with our kids (14 and 10). This is our plan:

Day 1 - Jessie James snorkeling tour and stay in dockyard area

Day 2 - Ferry to St. Georges, Swizzle Inn for lunch, Crystal Caves, Gibbs Lighthouse

Day 3 - 9 Beaches kayak rental, perhaps Horseshoe Beach

We won't be going to Hamilton as we found it to be very expensive and our kids would be bored out of their minds:D

I know many people love Horseshoe Beach, but we weren't particularly fond of it at all. It is nice to see, but it is crowded and IMHO there are nicer beaches elsewhere if you are looking for peace and quiet to swim, tan, or just relax.

Good luck!

We're going in October and this will be our 3rd trip there. We've done elbow beach and horseshoe bay and found them to be too touristy and mobbed. Our plans are as follows:

Day 1: Take ferry to St. Geoges, walk around and then hit Tobacco Beach (it's a beautiful encloesd cove with amenities, make sure to bring goggles. The fish will swim right up to you. Then we'll take the bus to Hamilton so we can see the countryside and then the ferry to the dock yard.

Day 2: Ferry to Hamilton. Then bus to Flatts Inlet to see the zoo/aquarium. Take a cab to the Swizzle Inn for some chowder and swizzle and then off to the Crystal Caves. Then take a bus back to the dockyard.

Day 3: Ferry to Hamilton for shopping. Then ferry back to ship for lunch and shopping at the dockyard. Making sure we hit the glass studio and the rum cakes!

We'll be on the Gem in October for our first visit to Bermuda, and while I've been doing research on the Bermuda board, I am enjoying reading people's suggestions here (particularly since NCL has this three days in Bermuda itinerary), so keep them coming! :)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Plenty to think about!

One question....how often do the ferries run? If I am in Hamilton or St. George on the third day, what time should I start heading back since the ship leaves at 5:00 PM?

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Plenty to think about!

One question....how often do the ferries run? If I am in Hamilton or St. George on the third day, what time should I start heading back since the ship leaves at 5:00 PM?

Here's a link to the ferry schedules:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9805511/Transport/summer_ferry_schedule_2.pdf

Ferries between Dockyard and Hamilton are the Blue Route, Between Dockyard and St. George the Orange Route.

Ferry service was cut back this year, particularly to St. George. I would be very reluctant to go there on the last day of your cruise since you have little leeway should there be a ferry cancellation, or you miss your ferry or if it's late. a few weeks ago a substantial number of passengers had to make their way back to Dockyard from St. George by other means because a smaller than normal ferry was used for a particular run because a larger ferry was out of service. We prefer to stay at Dockyard on the last day to ensure we won't miss the ship. At most we would go somewhere in the morning and be back by noon or so.

I've attached copies of the weekday ferry schedules for 2 routes: Blue Route (Hamilton - Dockyard) and Orange Route (Dockyard - St George) -

BlueRouteSch11.jpg

Schedule.jpg

Being in St George on departure day is not the best idea.

SBtS

Thank you for the advice....it makes sense.

Might as well have a stress free day and do something early and head back to the ship for lunch by 1:30 PM

SBtS

Agree...would not do St. George on departure day. Allow a full day, even if you don't stay there all day, no worries about being left behind!! :eek: Do get the transportation pass, good for all bus & ferry for the duration of the pass.

We always recommend a cab tour, 3 or 4 hour minimum. The tour drivers love showing off their beautiful island, and you get a great overview. Those drivers wanting to give tours will be waiting for you as you disembark the ship. Make note of any locations you would like to return to on your own. (Note: you can negotiate the tour, it need not end where it starts). We can almost guarantee a return visit to Bermuda in your future!:)

Day 1: Some kind of underwater adventure: snorkel a shipwreck, helmet dive, snuba....any one of those things or another and then hang out on a beach the rest of the day. Sunset cruise with my wife to end the day. :)

Day 2: Historic tour of the islands. I majored in history. My former professors would kill me if I didn't and I'd also be upset with myself as well. Go to Tucker's Town...big Hootie and the Blowfish/Darius Rucker fan.

Day 3: Check out the caves, a very minor amount of shopping and get back on the boat.

Day 1: Some kind of underwater adventure: snorkel a shipwreck' date=' helmet dive, snuba....any one of those things or another and then hang out on a beach the rest of the day. Sunset cruise with my wife to end the day. :)

Day 2: Historic tour of the islands. I majored in history. My former professors would kill me if I didn't and I'd also be upset with myself as well. Go to Tucker's Town...big Hootie and the Blowfish/Darius Rucker fan.

Day 3: Check out the caves, a very minor amount of shopping and get back on the boat.[/quote']

In St George the historical society has great exhibit/short film about history of the area including big part Bermuda played in Civil War with blockade runners etc.. very well done.

I've attached copies of the weekday ferry schedules for 2 routes: Blue Route (Hamilton - Dockyard) and Orange Route (Dockyard - St George) -

BlueRouteSch11.jpg

Schedule.jpg

SBtS

Do you know if the ferry schedule from Hamilton to the Dockyard will change in November?

cruiser42 asked: ....Do you know if the ferry schedule from Hamilton to the Dockyard will change in November?....

The summer schedule that is in my post is good until 11/13/11. From then until 4/1012, IIRC there are no ferries running to St George and a reduction in the runs to Hamilton.

SBtS

I need some assistance from all the helpful folk on CC!!

We will be travelling to Bermuda in 3 weeks aboard the HAL Veendam. We will dock in Hamilton and possibly tender to SG. We will have 4 days on the island. I've been reading all the posts about things to do and am a little confused about 'timing'.

I read that you can do the walking tour of SG, go to Tobacco Beach, then take the bus to Swizzle Inn and even the caves all in one day. Is that really possible?? We'd like to see all those things, plus maybe Fort St Catherine. I had considered breaking that into two days, with some possible shopping in Hamilton on the second day.

I know Bermuda isn't a big island, but I've read that getting from place to place can sometimes take some time. I do understand that the amount of time that everyone spends at a particular site varies, but how long would you guestimate that each of the following would take:

Gibbs' Hill Lighthouse

Fort St. Catherine

Crystal/Fantasy caves

Walking tour of SG (World Heritage Centre, Tucker House, Unfinished church, Old Rectory, St. Peter's Chruch)

Fort Hamilton

Tobacco Bay

Horseshoe Bay (with a leasurely walk to the other beaches)

Sea Glass beach near the Dockyard

Not that we'll be able to do everything, but I just didn't know how long all these attractions would take to see.

AHHHH!! I need HELP!!! :eek:

cruiser42 asked: ....Do you know if the ferry schedule from Hamilton to the Dockyard will change in November?....

The summer schedule that is in my post is good until 11/13/11. From then until 4/1012, IIRC there are no ferries running to St George and a reduction in the runs to Hamilton.

SBtS

Thanks, looks like we'll just make it!

Archived