No cruises out of NYC anymore?

Dardreamer

Is it true Princess will no longer sail out of NYC or Bayonne - I cannot believe this!!
There were no Princess cruises out of NYC in the summer up until a very few years ago; the ships have been redeployed to other itineraries where they can charge a higher per diem. Cruise ships can, and are, changed around all the time. Follow the money.

Is it true Princess will no longer sail out of NYC or Bayonne - I cannot believe this!!

Princess never sailed out of Bayonne (just RCCL)

Sadly, no cruises from NYC next year. I am hoping the new ship in 2013 will be in NYC part time (or it will take over the Florida Caribbean route and one of those ships will go to NYC). Sadly, the ships go where the money is

I just got off the CB Princess yesterday, the last out of NYC. Trust me, not going out of NY in the summer is a good thing and the crew are probably thrilled!! Not one of my better cruise decisions.

Why? We enjoyed or last summer cruise on CB out of NYC.

Very nice port, and you don't have to wait a day to get to warmer weather. It's niiiice.

Am I missing something as we are doing a New England cruise next year on the Emerald in October and that finishes in New York and the next voyage is from New York to Quebec.

I presume you must be thinking of cruises to Europe.

Jennie

Am I missing something as we are doing a New England cruise next year on the Emerald in October and that finishes in New York and the next voyage is from New York to Quebec.

I presume you must be thinking of cruises to Europe.

You are not paying attention. The vquestio nis about sailing out of NYC in the summer, not altogether. For Canada/New England cruises, which I call CANE, that is true.

You are not paying attention. The vquestio nis about sailing out of NYC in the summer, not altogether. For Canada/New England cruises, which I call CANE, that is true.

No need to be rude. I can read and this what the OP asked

"Is it true Princess will no longer sail out of NYC or Bayonne - I cannot believe this!! "

No mention of summer, autumn, winter or spring!

Jennie

Princess has had to discount fares out of NYC to fill the ship. They are able to charge much higher fares for Alaska and Europe.

They had to discount fares? If there is any truth in that, perhaps it may be the case for Canada/NE itineraries because the 9 day Caribbean sailings out of NY, prices were very steep. I wouldn’t exactly say MUCH higher fares either….there were several cruises to Alaska and Europe over the last few years that were almost equal in price to the 9 day Caribbean sailings from NY when basing it on a price per day level.

Princess has had to discount fares out of NYC to fill the ship. They are able to charge much higher fares for Alaska and Europe.

Where did you get this information? Are you a TA and know that the fares were discounted? People said that is why Princess pulled out of Galveston, but the Crown is going to start cruising out of there from December 2012 to April 2013.

I beg to differ. Fares started high and, for the most part, stayed that way. And the sailings sold out. It is true that Princess sent out one mailer with cheap fares on one sailing this year but that was for a date well past Labour Day, when school has started back up, and for the NE route, not the Caribbean. No, since 2007 when I first did a NY sailing (at a very high price), they have been selling well and at a premium. Certainly they can make more on passenger spending in Europe than on the Caribbean but that's a different matter than discounting fares. Which they have most certainly not been doing.

I just got off the CB Princess yesterday, the last out of NYC. Trust me, not going out of NY in the summer is a good thing and the crew are probably thrilled!! Not one of my better cruise decisions.

We LOVED our summer cruise on the CB out of Brooklyn last year, and will sorely miss the opportunity to cruise from there next summer. (Unfortunately, summertime is the only time we can cruise)

This was certainly not our experience. We paid a premium price. As well, both of our cruises were oversold, and we were offered very generous move-over offers, both in July 2009 (which we accepted) and in July 2010 (which we did not accept)

It really doesn't matter if they had to discount fares or not to fill the ship.

Cruise lines DO NOT make any profit selling cruises.

We make money selling you things once we get you onboard.

Passengers who sail in Alaska and Europe spend more than twice as much onboard - every day - as passengers sailing out of New York.

It's been said before, but it bears repeating:

"We follow the money."

Moving a ship from New York to Alaska or Europe does not make us a little bit more money.

It makes us a TON more money.

It really doesn't matter if they had to discount fares or not to fill the ship.

Cruise lines DO NOT make any profit selling cruises.

We make money selling you things once we get you onboard.

Passengers who sail in Alaska and Europe spend more than twice as much onboard - every day - as passengers sailing out of New York.

It's been said before, but it bears repeating:

"We follow the money."

Moving a ship from New York to Alaska or Europe does not make us a little bit more money.

It makes us a TON more money.

I believe this is exactly true. I just got off the CB on the 9 day caribbean route for the fourth year in a row. I spoke with many staff and crew about the change and got all sorts of answers. The future cruise sales representative, Natalie, said she "heard me" and she herself wished Princess would do a minimum of cruises out of NY. I really want to travel someplace warm in the summer to completely chill out and not tour. None of next summer's princess cruises fit my desires. If you head to Europe you obviously will take advantage of cruise tours or what's the point of going there. It's not a beach stop. The prices for the cabins are higher because the market can bear it and more money is made on the extras.

Carnival has a similar route out of NY for next year. So, IMHO, I think Carnival Corp is separating the two lines and making Princess a more expensive, more upscale line and leaving carnival for a different demographic. By the way, the food this year was even steps above last year. I was told by a very reliable source, they were trying out a new menu and it really showed. Other than a couple of misses, everything dish was spectacular. I will miss you Princess. Please come back to New York.

No need to be rude. I can read and this what the OP asked

"Is it true Princess will no longer sail out of NYC or Bayonne - I cannot believe this!! "

No mention of summer, autumn, winter or spring!

Jennie

Yeah, that was rude.

I'm glad I didn't say, "what about Brooklyn?". Probably would have had my head bitten off. Anyway, we sailed out of Brooklyn when we did the New England/Canada fall voyage. Since we had driven to NY to meet the ship I must say that we really enjoyed the Brooklyn port. We were able to park within a short walk from the ship so it made disembarkation a breeze.

I have to think that the cruises from NY and the Northeast (Boston) are profitable to some degree.

RCCL continues to offer 5 and 9 day cruises from NJ to Bermuda and the Caribbean for next summer.

NCL offers 7 day Bermuda trips from both Boston and NY on a weekly basis AND has added one more ship to do a Bahama/Florida itinerary for next summer as well from NY.

Carnival has announced that it will offer sailings year round from NY.

And the latest was Disney announcing that one of their ships will be offering sailings from NY next summer as well.

Just saying.....

I have to think that the cruises from NY and the Northeast (Boston) are profitable to some degree.

RCCL continues to offer 5 and 9 day cruises from NJ to Bermuda and the Caribbean for next summer.

NCL offers 7 day Bermuda trips from both Boston and NY on a weekly basis AND has added one more ship to do a Bahama/Florida itinerary for next summer as well from NY.

And the latest was Disney announcing that one of their ships will be offering sailings from NY next summer as well.

Just saying.....

Yes and there is also Celebrity out of NJ and HAL out of NY.

My guess is that it won't be long for Princess to return to NY.....NY equals $$$$ too.

To a degree is the key point. It's not only Princess makes money but how much. If they think they can make $100 per berth per sailing in the med, lets say versus $80 per berth out of NY, to the med they go...There's also repositioning factors, demographics, number of total available ships. Of the major cruise lines, I am pretty sure Princess operates one of the lowest ship counts. This means the other lines can cover wider nets, in fact they have to make sure they don't overload one market and hurt themselves (right now I think Princess has 13 ships, RC has 22 or 23..) Celebrity is the smallest with 10, which is why the Silhouette isn't staying up there too long.

Disney charges a much higher price point and is still trying to break into new markets, so they have different goals.

Other lines will note and respond to the lower inventory and possible move into the market as noted

Just saying.....

..) Celebrity is the smallest with 10, which is why the Silhouette isn't staying up there too long.

But they do have the Celebrity Summit from mid Spring thru early Fall for two years now and she will return next Summer too.

It does look like a higher price point on those ships than I recall seeing for Princess however..

But they do have the Celebrity Summit from mid Spring thru early Fall for two years now and she will return next Summer too.

Archived