Reliable, reasonable transfer for Rome to port

Ontariotrekker

Pardon the alliteration but I'm going slightly nuts trying to figure out which one is the best deal..I've posted on my roll call and no one wants to share. thanks Shar

Take the train. It cost 4.5 euros per person, takes about an hour and a half, and is easy to do. The hardest part is pulling your luggage to track 26 or 27, that takes you to Civitavecchia. Check ahead of time to make sure about the track number. It is way at the end of the station, and the station is huge. Also, VALIDATE your ticket using the little yellow machines in the terminal. If you don't, you can be fined about 40 euros. (These directions are for Termini Station in Rome.) Once you get to Civitavecchia, the port entrance is only about four blocks from the train station. There will be a free shuttle at the port entrance that will take you to your ship. Have a great cruise!:)

Take the train. It cost 4.5 euros per person, takes about an hour and a half, and is easy to do. The hardest part is pulling your luggage to track 26 or 27, that takes you to Civitavecchia. Check ahead of time to make sure about the track number. It is way at the end of the station, and the station is huge. Also, VALIDATE your ticket using the little yellow machines in the terminal. If you don't, you can be fined about 40 euros. (These directions are for Termini Station in Rome.) Once you get to Civitavecchia, the port entrance is only about four blocks from the train station. There will be a free shuttle at the port entrance that will take you to your ship. Have a great cruise!:)

From the airport to Civitavecchia does not need to include Termini, in fact, it should not. Going all the way to Termini adds time and cost to the journey; the switch should be at Rome Trastevere for the regional train, or Rome Ostiense for the IC train.

From the airport to Civitavecchia does not need to include Termini, in fact, it should not. Going all the way to Termini adds time and cost to the journey; the switch should be at Rome Trastevere for the regional train, or Rome Ostiense for the IC train.

Sorry....I should have reread it before I commented! It does say "Rome to Port" in the title. ??

We will be in Rome for a few days pre-cruise and I am trying to figure out the best way to get to the port. We are renting an apartment in Piazza Novona and will most likely be leaving from that general area. There wil be 4 adults with 4 decent size suitcases. I am trying to save money where we can and am considering the train as opposed to private transportation.

What does everyone think? Would it be a huge hassle and worth spending the money on private transpo? Also what stop would we use for the train?

Thanks!

We will be in Rome for a few days pre-cruise and I am trying to figure out the best way to get to the port. We are renting an apartment in Piazza Novona and will most likely be leaving from that general area. There wil be 4 adults with 4 decent size suitcases. I am trying to save money where we can and am considering the train as opposed to private transportation.

What does everyone think? Would it be a huge hassle and worth spending the money on private transpo? Also what stop would we use for the train?

Only you can decide what the hassle factor is for you and your companions. For myself, I'd take the train. However, in a group it would depend on the folks I'd be traveling with. Some (members of my family) would be so unhappy/unpleasant about it that they would negate the financial benefits with their attitudes alone.

Assuming you all agree on the train, here's what I would do. I'd get myself from Piazza Navona to Largo Argentina (on Corso Emanuele II); this is about 0.2 miles on foot. From here I'd take the #30 bus to the Roma Ostiense station, where I'd get an IC train to Civitavecchia. The beauty of the IC is that it goes non-stop from Ostiense to Civitaveccha, so you don't have to worry about counting stations along the way. Also, on the IC I'd spring for first class seats (12,50 Euro vs. 9,50 for second class), especially since with four people the odds are good that you'd get an entire compartment meant for six all to yourselves. That way your luggage will fit into the compartment with you and you won't need to worry about it.

The downside of this plan is that there's only one IC each morning and it's at 9:57 AM, arriving in Civitavecchia at 10:35 AM, which may be earlier than you'd like.

So, my second option would be to walk to Largo Argentina and take the #8 tram from there to the Roma Trastevere station and get a regional train to Civitavecchia from there.

Of course with either option it would be easier to just take cabs to the station, but know that with four people plus luggage you'll need two cabs.

I'm a bit confused (as usual) & would like to clarify the FCO-Civa rte by train. You catch the train at FCO,change at Trastevere or Ostiense which takes you directly to Civit.? Are the "directions" clearly marked at the station at FCO? We're game to do this & won't be jet-lagged since we'll be arriving from Barcelona but at times some train stations are extremely confusing? Is the station user friendly? Thanks so much for your expertise!

Hi we to are looking for transportation from the Portto Rome in Sept, I have you used this company before?

I've used Romeshuttlelimosine (info@romeshuttlelimosine) Watch spellings, b/c it could mean a different company.

From Rome to the port--it was 110 euros.

From A'port to Rome, it was 40 euros. Clean airconditioned cars/vans.

Check out Ron in Rome for great instructions. The train is easy. For 4.5 Euros it is worth schlepping a suitcase down and up one flight of stairs. Go to Termini early, buy a ticket and go to the track. The track has a computerized sign telling you the time of the next train. If you are in a group, one of you boards the train, the others hand up the luggage and then do the reverse when you arrive at Civitavecchia. We took a train at about 11:30 so were boarding at about 1:00. Very easy. If you are hesitating, be aware there will be others doing this.

Pardon the alliteration but I'm going slightly nuts trying to figure out which one is the best deal..I've posted on my roll call and no one wants to share. thanks Shar

To bad we aren't on the same cruise :(as I'm having a hard time on my roll call finding someone interested in sharing too. With that said, here is info I have found that might help. We are flying in a day before the cruise and staying in the port area. If you were thinking of doing that there are some hotels that offer a pick up at the airport to hotel for 110,00 euro for 2 ppl. Thats the best I have been able to find so far, I will keep you posted if I find something better. Note I have also read that some hotels will also pick you up after the cruise and take you to the airport or Rome City centre, if I find one that has that I will let you know.. I have lots of tours planned in Rome if you need info let me know I'm happy to share.:)

Annette

Milton Ontario

To bad we aren't on the same cruise :(as I'm having a hard time on my roll call finding someone interested in sharing too. With that said, here is info I have found that might help. We are flying in a day before the cruise and staying in the port area. If you were thinking of doing that there are some hotels that offer a pick up at the airport to hotel for 110,00 euro for 2 ppl. Thats the best I have been able to find so far, I will keep you posted if I find something better. Note I have also read that some hotels will also pick you up after the cruise and take you to the airport or Rome City centre, if I find one that has that I will let you know.. I have lots of tours planned in Rome if you need info let me know I'm happy to share.:)

Annette

Milton Ontario

Check out Rome Cabs. From the airport to the port, for four of us, it is 150 euros. Likewise, from the city to the port, it is 150 for four. You can get a quote right on their web site. We have used them several times and have been quite pleased with their services. We are using them again in for our upcoming cruise in October.

Check out Rome Cabs. From the airport to the port, for four of us, it is 150 euros. Likewise, from the city to the port, it is 150 for four. You can get a quote right on their web site. We have used them several times and have been quite pleased with their services. We are using them again in for our upcoming cruise in October.

Thanks for the info I will check them out. We dock at 6am do you have any idea what time I should schedule a pick up for?

It really depends upon what time your flight is. They say to allow no less than three hours. If you are not flying out that day but are just going into Rome, you obviously have more flexibility and won't have to rush off the ship with the crowds when the ship has cleared.

Only you can decide what the hassle factor is for you and your companions. For myself, I'd take the train. However, in a group it would depend on the folks I'd be traveling with. Some (members of my family) would be so unhappy/unpleasant about it that they would negate the financial benefits with their attitudes alone.

Assuming you all agree on the train, here's what I would do. I'd get myself from Piazza Navona to Largo Argentina (on Corso Emanuele II); this is about 0.2 miles on foot. From here I'd take the #30 bus to the Roma Ostiense station, where I'd get an IC train to Civitavecchia. The beauty of the IC is that it goes non-stop from Ostiense to Civitaveccha, so you don't have to worry about counting stations along the way. Also, on the IC I'd spring for first class seats (12,50 Euro vs. 9,50 for second class), especially since with four people the odds are good that you'd get an entire compartment meant for six all to yourselves. That way your luggage will fit into the compartment with you and you won't need to worry about it.

The downside of this plan is that there's only one IC each morning and it's at 9:57 AM, arriving in Civitavecchia at 10:35 AM, which may be earlier than you'd like.

So, my second option would be to walk to Largo Argentina and take the #8 tram from there to the Roma Trastevere station and get a regional train to Civitavecchia from there.

Of course with either option it would be easier to just take cabs to the station, but know that with four people plus luggage you'll need two cabs.

Wow this was really detailed thanks so much!

Archived