Seasoned Cruisers but new to HAL- questions?

Peery5

For all of you loyal HAL cruisers, we will soon be sailing on the Noordam to the southern Caribbean. How does HAL compare to other cruise lines? You can see by our signature, the other cruise lines we have sailed on. We are looking, primarily for:

1. Cleanliness of the ship.

2. Attention to needs by the crew, especially the room steward, wait staff, pursers desk, etc.

3. Size and description, if known, of the handicap accessible verandah cabins as I am disabled.

4. Ports of call, and what to do in port when one is using a mobility scooter?

5. Any other info. you might contribute to make our upcoming cruise an enjoyable one.

I know I can post some of these questions on the Disabled Cruiser forum but hope to get some details here.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your information.

As far as cabins go, there is a sticky at the top of the page with pictures and descriptions of HAL cabins. Joanie has also put a sticky about HAL HC cabins on the Disabled Cruise forum, so you might start there. I like everything about HAL except the price, but I accept that when they are going where and when I want. EM

I'm among the many who have signatures turned off, so I don't know what other lines you've sailed.

HAL's HA veranda cabins are OK - IF you use a wheelchair, but can still walk on your own. The wheelchair would need to be collapsed in order to move around the cabin. They do gave a nice roll-in shower, but IMO the cabin space is pretty tight for anyone confined to a wheelchair or uses a scooter. The HA verandah cabins aren't much larger than the non-HA ones.

I would suggest going for a superior or deluxe suite if you want a verandah and have a scooter. Otherwise, there are a few HA outsides and insides that will be larger than the HA verandah cabins.

Good Luck.

For all of you loyal HAL cruisers, we will soon be sailing on the Noordam to the southern Caribbean. How does HAL compare to other cruise lines? You can see by our signature, the other cruise lines we have sailed on. We are looking, primarily for:

1. Cleanliness of the ship.

2. Attention to needs by the crew, especially the room steward, wait staff, pursers desk, etc.

3. Size and description, if known, of the handicap accessible verandah cabins as I am disabled.

4. Ports of call, and what to do in port when one is using a mobility scooter?

5. Any other info. you might contribute to make our upcoming cruise an enjoyable one.

I know I can post some of these questions on the Disabled Cruiser forum but hope to get some details here.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your information.

Here is a direct link to the photos that I have of a couple of HC staterooms on Noordam http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Noordam/index-3.html and a direct link to Handicapped cruising info on HAL: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/HAL_HC-Info.html

I will not be on her until March, but can almost see the cleanliness of the ship:)

The Crews on all the HAL ships are fantastic and the stewards generally bend over back wards for you.

I've not been on any other cruise lines so can only speak for the line that I've been on, HAL, and just how wonderful they are:)

Joanie

Hal is the line I cruise when I want pampering and an elegant experience. It has been my experience since my first HAL cruise in '94 aboard the old Noordam, that the staff aboard a HAL ship are at the top of the heap when it comes to providing a quality experience to handicapped as well as more senior passengers aboard their ships. For years, when I mentioned to friends who cruise the more main-stream cruise lines about how much my wife and I love HAL, their impression of HAL is its the older crowd's line. I really don't agree with that, my impression and my experience is that HAL is a "high-end" line with a tradition that goes back well over a century, and I find that tradition of elegance and passenger service goes beyond what I have experienced on other lines I've cruised. Perry5, you just go ahead and book the Noordam, and enjoy the experience.;)

HAL does 85% of everything really well. What each passenger does with the 15% that falls through the cracks is their own decision. HAL for us represents excellent value for the cruise dollar and we happily keep coming back. Hope you enjoy your time spent on your HAL trip. Best wishes.

HAL's service is wonderful. I don't know about HC cabins other than that they exist. But I have seen times when there were a lot of scooters on board and the MDR staff did a good job of wrangling the scooters so they weren't in the way during dinner. So I take that as a sign that they're quite used to dealing with people who have mobility issues.

Well, I have been on a number of 'mainstream' lines. They all have pros and cons. None is perfect. But we really prefer HAL. Our last 4 cruises have been on them. :D I've never had an issue with cleanliness.

Have been on your ship and we really enjoyed the crew, everything:D

If they had the right itinerary, I'd go on her again in a minute;)

Verandah HC staterooms for Noordam per HAL website.

Staterooms SS8068, SC6175, SC6164, SY5002, SY5001 are wheelchair accessible, bathtub and roll-in shower.

Staterooms VA8032, VA8031, SY6108, VB6049, VA6004, VA6003, VF5140, VF5137, VF5054, VF5051,VD4132, VD4131, are wheelchair accessible, roll-in shower only.

Noordam is a beautiful ship. Hal really got it right with her. I think you'll love it. I traveled to the Caribbean last year with a travel scoot. We didn't take tours, but grabbed a van or taxi to the beaches. What ports and what tours are you interested in? You might try asking on the Disabled Crusing board about the different ports.

Archived