Have you ever...

Bridge Maven

I haven't cancelled or changed an actual cruise, but I have changed a tour or what my plans were in a port due to info I've read on this forum. I have avoided a cruise, and certainly a cruise line, from reading people's reviews and threads.

I don't 'use' the review as is, but try to see if the reviewers/thread comments line up with what I find important and then use the info, or ignore it.

Den

I think most people who post on cruise critic have done their homework and read the reviews, so know pretty much what to expect on their particular cruise line and ship, and even itinerary.That is the case with me. I read the boards for the line of the ship I'm investigating. If the people speak in a certain way I decide I do not want to be among them. If they are welcoming and friendly I go for it, realizing all the while that the cruise critic people are a small minority of passengers.

I would not cancel a booking because of something I read on cruise critic that was different from what everyone else said. I'd think that person just had a bad attitude or some particular problems that don't ordinarily occur.

Part of the reason why I read these boards is to get information on cruises, cruilelines, ports of call and facilities. I tend to be swayed more by "information" than by "opinions". For example, if I am told that there is a local train or bus that costs $5 or a taxi that costs $50, I will most probably be influenced by the report and take the bus.

On the other hand, I read a review that the food in the speciality restaurants on Allure of the Seas was terrible. I also read eight reviews saying it was fantastic. If it was the other way around, I might be put off booking the speciality restaurants, but if reviews are mixed or biased in favor, I will give it a try and make up my own mind.

I have read on CC that the smaller ships rock a lot on transatlantic crossings, so I think I am inclined to stay away from them. A transatlantic on a Celebrity ship is probably just great.

In A Perfect World, I would love to take a cruise on a ship that everyone on Cruise Critic loved. But I'm not there yet. For every single cruise I have ever been on, I have read terrible things about the ship, the crew, the food, the fellow passengers.....I have never yet had a bad experience cruising.

My DH and I just changed our Silhouette from 11-18 to 12-12 because of an email we received from celebrity. The prices were much lower and we were able to get into aq for less money than our cc on the 18th.

Yes, Crusie Critic caused me to change plans on a booking. I was ready to make a booking on Princess for an Alaska cruise when I happened to read about the smoking policies on both cruise lines on CC. I decided on Celebrity even though I preferred the Princess intinerary.

Also, on a cruise I was to go on a few years ago but I had to cancel I had booked an excursion on the train out of Skagway. After reading CC we've decided on the car this time and won't rebook the train.

Yes. When I was newer to cruising I booked our family on a ship that was new, looked wonderful & had a good itinerary & price. But review after review came back very negative ... so I jumped ship & booked us on another line even though we went on a completely different itinerary & paid more $ ! Turned out to be an AWESOME cruise experience for our family.

Yes. I once changed a cruise because I found out about a large group that was going to be on the cruise via cruise critic. I always balance what I read with other input, but I have found cruise critic to be a great source of helpful information. Of course, some comments and reviews I chose to ignore for various reasons.

No. Each persons experience is just that...their experience. What is negative to one person, is positive to another. I will take into account information regarding a tour guide or port experience that could be altered or changed for a more enjoyable time.

I like do to a fair amount of research before any trip. Tips about land excirsions/riverboats/ocean voyages have been most helpful. Also airline info & cabin selection has been much better thanks to all who post. When suggestions are given or specefic questions answered, I listen. Many of you out there are for more knowledgeable than me & have travelled extensively. Your experiences make my travel more enjoyabble & stress free.

I have nevered canceled a trip because of what I read, however I have made several modifications to enchance our experience. As a result of this great information provided, we have benifited & tried things we would not do.

Examples: Able to choose a better cabin.

Eliminate some land excursions

Used the Metro in St. Petersburg & Moscow

Find local guides

Foreign Money exchange

How to use the train from Rome to the port

You get the idea

Cruise Critic has been a very valuable tool for us. Reviews are opinions, information is usually based on facts. We are so happy that travellers from all over the world will share this information. John

I've switched cabins based on info from CC.

But "back in the day" when MSC was new to the Caribbean, 90% of the reviews were negative. We got a good deal, booked it, and it was FANTASTIC. One of the prettiest ships, some wonderful food (some not so wonderful), and great entertainment.

I DID hesitate before booking it, but I'm very glad that I went ahead.

Interesting topic! :cool:

Like most others, I would not change my plans on the basis of a single post or review. However, when you start seeing the same problems popping up in different posts or threads, then it may be time to take a closer look. ;)

Have you ever changed your cruise plans because of something you read on a cruise critic message board?

Yes, a couple of years ago, we cancelled a Crystal Cruise which we were really excited about, as it was a 10 or 11 night cruise through the Panama Canal, where it is nearly impossible to find a trans-canal itinerary for fewer than 15 nights.

The Crystal posters were totally over the top regarding formal attire, which eventually turned us off completely.

DW and I are more than willing to dress appropriately per the custom, although we prefer a more informal environment. However, as vocal as the Celebrity folks are regarding formal night wardrobe, Crystal was at a completely different level, and it became clear that this regrettably would not be for us.

Long live business casual!

Thx, Ned

My sister and I were on an NCL cruise last fall that, it turned out, had a huge LBGT group onboard. We were active in the roll call ahead of time, and one or two people on the roll call dropped out when they heard about the group. They claimed it wasn't for that reason, but we had our doubts. (The people we met in that group, by the way, were delightful.)

Have you ever changed your cruise plans because of something you read on a cruise critic message board?

Hi Bridge,

I was all ready to book the Infinity a couple of years ago for a South American cruise. I read a couple of reviews about how out of control the teens were during the Xmas/New Year's cruises. Loads of young people from SA and the parents were taking a kind of "hands off" approach.

I'm an Ex-teacher, and my wife still teaches; the last thing we want to do is deal out of control teens on our vacation.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Yes, we changed our cabin from a mid-ship cabin to a hump cabin with large balcony after reading the forums.

Thank you to everyone for the wealth of information that is available here :)

We changed cabins based on the boards, tried a aft! We also switched several excursions and were pleased we did. We never have changed cruises based on what we have read, I don't think we ever went wrong with a Princess or Celebrity Cruise!

Ken

I changed cabins, officially twice, unofficially four times, in one day because of what I read on Cruise Critic.

I saw a price drop that would let us try an M-class C1 for the same as what we were paying for a 2A. A quick check of the Celebrity website showed 6135, 6144 and 9160 available. Quickly looking at the relevant threads, I ruled out 9160 because of the possibility of cigarette smoke drifting down from the deck above. I called my TA and had her switch us to 6144. Then, after further research, I learned that there's a short crew hallway adjacent to 6144 that leads to a small balcony that the crew likes to use to take smoke breaks. 6144 is out, and I called the TA back and asked to be moved to 6135, but I got her voicemail. Then, I discovered that the previous information was out of date, the crew no longer is allowed to smoke there, and 6144 is about a foot wider than 6135 and does not have a connecting door, so called the TA again. I asked if she got my voicemail, and she hadn't had a chance to check it, so I told her to disregard it. Finally, it dawned on me that there might be other C1 cabins than the three listed on the website, and I checked all of them. When I found 7208 available, on the aft and three decks removed from possible smoke, I called again.

It was worth it, though I think my TA doesn't think so!:D

Archived