Suitable clothing for visiting Pantheon in Rome

Metaxus

I know the strict rules regarding covering the shoulders and knees for both men and women visiting the Vatican, but can recent visitors tell me how strict they are regarding entering the Pantheon.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a sign in the Pantheon that also states shoulders and knees should be covered, but we did not see anyone enforcing it. It is still an active church (Sunday mass there is pretty amazing) so we followed the no shoulders or knees request.

We just returned. No rules anywhere seemed to be followed. Even at the Vatican there were women in belly baring shirts with tiny straps and shorts, pictures (flash) being taken in the Sistine Chapel and very loud guides. Kinda shocked after what we had read and been told.

The only place that was strict was the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.

Scarves are sold everywhere along the way. I brought one with me and had it handy for my shoulders otherwise I was dressed as suggested.

When entering a church you're expected to be quiet and respectful.

I wish this had been the case. I was actually shocked at how loud and (somewhat) disprespectful some people were being inside. The noise level was astronomical. What I found disturbing was that people were taking pictures and posing inside the shaft of sunlight that comes through the hole in the roof. I just found this to be sadly disrespectful, but perhaps that comes from my faith and where I am in that. I fully realize not everyone feels this way, hence the behavior and attitude we observed there. NBD, just mentioning it.

The Parthenon is an active, working church. The same standard dress code should apply. However, as others have said, you won't be turned away if dressed inappropriately.

Learn something everyday. I did not realize it was a working church. Thanks for the info

Yes, the Parthenon is an active, working church. Few know or realize that history or background.

Here below is a picture that I took on June 10, 2011 on its interior to give you sample for how it looks and people were dressed. Nobody looked that bad, nor too disrespectful. BUT, we were lucky for our summer day in Rome. It was more mid to upper 70's. When things get hot, hot in Rome, there are probably more problems with some folks not being as respectful as possible when visiting here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 35,699 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Inside the Pantheon, this photo with my wide angle lens shows what is regarded as the best preserved of the ancient buildings in Rome. It is based on the classical Greek temple design and has a hole in the middle of the domed ceiling. It was the Roman “temple of all the gods”. You can see the light shining through the roof to part of interior on the left side.:

RomePanthonInterior2.jpg

The Pantheon was built between 118-125 AD in Rome and is so large and amazing in its size, construction and classic style for that era with none of today's modern equipment and building techniques. We had seen it before, but it is always amazing and impressive as you round the corner and “there it is!”. WOW!! :

RomePanthonaFrontPlaza.jpg

The Parthenon is an active, working church. The same standard dress code should apply. However, as others have said, you won't be turned away if dressed inappropriately.

The Parthenon is located at the Anthenian Acropolis,Greece. :D

The Pantheon is in Rome and from what I have seen while there has no dress restrictions.

Archived