Unpleasant Experience in the Windjammer on Enchantment

When I recently complained that guys were coming into the MDR wearing baseball caps and shorts in the evening, I was told that Management will not interfere as the passengers would complain. Jeans also appeared in the MDR on formal night. (However, the person concerned did remove his baseball cap when he sat down. Hallelujah:D:D) Again, staff ignored his refusal to adhere to the dress code.

Could be why the behaviour on board RCI ships is deteriorating - our next cruise is on Queen Elizabeth and then onto the Eclipse, so I shall have a chance to see whether the behaviour on these other lines is any better!! Could be just a sign of the times - sigh!! But I am just an old fogey I suppose. I am not of the 'me me me' generation.

Ridiculous analogy. One is a "fashion statement" in mild breach of "suggestions" the other is abusive and could involve clients being ejected from the ship

Just another indication that RCI is in a serious downward sprial while Goldstein is at the helm.

Sooner or later the board members will see Goldstiens' lack of leadership and misdirected vision for the future. He has taken the RCI's reputation for focus on quality and tossed it over the side. The highly visable corparate misteps over the past few years shows that RCI is lacking in leadership, and as CEO...the buck stops with him.

Time for a shakeup at the top and return to the basics of quality that RCI once had. New leadership is needed...not from the inside..new blood brought in to reinvigourate or replace the Sr. Mgmt.

I wanted to share this experience only because I think it shows how non-action by management can allow a situation to get out of hand. No it did not ruin our vacation, but it certainly made for an awkward evening.

We were eating in the Windjammer when two couples sat down at the table right next to us. After a few minutes, one of the gentleman, who had obviously had a little too much to drink, started saying very loudly (loud enough for about one-quarter of the restaurant to hear) that he was Woody Woodpecker. He then started describing body parts and other physical actions in a very graphic way. Let me say I am nowhere prudish, but I even found this to be extreme for the setting. This went on for about 10 minutes and I bit my tongue the whole time. His other table mates looked uncomfortable but made a weak attempt to quiet him down. We know the wait staff heard all of this because they kept looking at him in astonishment.

At about the 10 minute mark, the gentleman called over one of the female staff and asked her if she would prefer her man to be Woody Woodpecker or Superman; he went on to graphically describe what the attributes would be for each. She just laughed but did not answer. At this point I had enough. I called the young lady over to my table to 1) remove her from a situation that she was uncomfortable with, and 2) to request that she send the manager over. At this point the gentleman started verbally attacking me with foul language and anatomical descriptions. Again, I never opened my mouth.

We are now about fifteen minutes into this situation. The waitress came back and told me the manager was busy doing something else and that he would be by later. She then suggested that we move to another table! I refused and asked her to have the offending party move. The whole time I am still be verbally attacked. About this time two other gentleman approached the jerk (yes, I'm done calling him a gentleman) and asked him to be quiet because their children were sitting nearby and could hear the whole event. The jerk told him to go away and started verbally abusing them as well in a very ugly manner. The two guests continued to ask him to be quiet but finally gave up and left the Windjammer with families in tow.

A second waiter came by and suggested we move. Again I refused. At this time, after 20 minutes of this, the offending man and his group got up and left. The waitress came over to apologize and say that the manager would be right over and that security had been called to follow the man out of the Windjammer.

The manager never did show up. I then went to guest relations to file a complaint. I stated that although I was disgusted with the actions of the guest, I was more disappointed with the non-actions of the staff. I realize that the wait staff should not be put in a position to handle that kind of situation. However, they should have notified management after a few minutes of the event, and most certainly the female staff involved should have done something immediately after the guest asked her the inappropriate question. Even more, I was totally amazed at the failure of the manager to not come to our table. There is nothing that could have been more important other than someone dying that should have prevented him from addressing the situation.

Guest relations apologized and said they would have the manager call me. One and a half days later I received a voice mail from the manager saying that if I still wanted to discuss the matter I could find him in the Windjammer. No apology was offered.

At this point I decided not to pursue that matter.

I'm sure that this is an isolated management issue, but I did want to post it here, I guess just to get it off my chest.

Thanks for "listening".

UPDATE AND CLOSURE:

I received a call this afternoon from the Executive Office in Miami in response to the email I sent to Lisa Bauer, Senior VP of Hotel Operations.

The representative thanked me for bringing the incident to the attention of senior management. She stated that the incident was reviewed with management staff on the ship. Windjammer staff corroborated my account as thorough and accurate. I was also informed that management had been informed by staff of the ongoing incident prior to my asking that management be called. The representative acknowledged that this is an issue since it appears that management was slower to react than I observed. The guest was approached by management and security after the incident.

The rep went on to say that it is not the position of staff to confront an offending guest but they are told to notify management at the first sign of disruption such as what occurred (I totally agree with this). Ship management has been re-schooled by HQ on the proper way to handle such an incident and the importance of acting quickly.

The call ended with a thanks for bringing this to HQ's attention and with providing them with an opportunity to use the incident as a basis for continuing education for staff. I was asked if this was my first cruise with RCI (yes) and told that they hope to see me on a future cruise. I am totally satisfied with the follow up by HQ.

NOW, I know there are those of you who will say: "But wait! What are they giving you?!".

They neither offered anything, nor did I ask for anything. I have taught customer service for years. My intention through this whole process was to make management aware of a deficiency in the hopes that it would provide a learning opportunity and prevent future such occurrences, improve the working environment for staff, and insure a pleasant atmosphere for guests. IF they had offered a comp, then I would have accepted it. However, to use this incident solely for personal gain would be less than dignified IMHO.

Thanks for all on the board who kept up with this issue, and thanks for all the advice and observations. See you at sea in the future.

UPDATE AND CLOSURE:

I received a call this afternoon from the Executive Office in Miami in response to the email I sent to Lisa Bauer, Senior VP of Hotel Operations.

The representative thanked me for bringing the incident to the attention of senior management. She stated that the incident was reviewed with management staff on the ship. Windjammer staff corroborated my account as thorough and accurate. I was also informed that management had been informed by staff of the ongoing incident prior to my asking that management be called. The representative acknowledged that this is an issue since it appears that management was slower to react than I observed. The guest was approached by management and security after the incident.

The rep went on to say that it is not the position of staff to confront an offending guest but they are told to notify management at the first sign of disruption such as what occurred (I totally agree with this). Ship management has been re-schooled by HQ on the proper way to handle such an incident and the importance of acting quickly.

The call ended with a thanks for bringing this to HQ's attention and with providing them with an opportunity to use the incident as a basis for continuing education for staff. I was asked if this was my first cruise with RCI (yes) and told that they hope to see me on a future cruise. I am totally satisfied with the follow up by HQ.

NOW, I know there are those of you who will say: "But wait! What are they giving you?!".

They neither offered anything, nor did I ask for anything. I have taught customer service for years. My intention through this whole process was to make management aware of a deficiency in the hopes that it would provide a learning opportunity and prevent future such occurrences, improve the working environment for staff, and insure a pleasant atmosphere for guests. IF they had offered a comp, then I would have accepted it. However, to use this incident solely for personal gain would be less than dignified IMHO.

Thanks for all on the board who kept up with this issue, and thanks for all the advice and observations. See you at sea in the future.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

The thumbs up are for both, you and RCI.

You derserve them for your great attitude and calmly reporting the incident and RCI HQ deserve them for taking action and do some training of management.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.:)

UPDATE AND CLOSURE:

That noise you hear is just me, applauding!

Good for you!

:)

Thanks for providing the follow-up. I am very happy that RCI responded to you. You deserved it and I feel that they responded appropriately. It means plenty to those of us who talk up this company to family and friends just as I am sure it means plenty to you.

UPDATE AND CLOSURE:

This has been a great thread because of your attitude. Thanks for bringing it up and for updating us on the response.

Kathy

P.S. I would NOT be one of those asking what they gave you for it!!!:D

UPDATE AND CLOSURE:

Glad to hear that you got the satisfaction of a serious reply from RC -- thanks for taking the time to let them know about the problem. However, it would have been a very nice gesture for them to offer you a specialty restaurant comp for your next cruise. After all, you and your family had a meal ruined by that jerk -- seems like a nice dinner would be a small price, to keep a customer happy. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story -- hope your next cruise goes off without a hitch! :cool:

I am afraid I am one asking/telling RCI that you should have been rewarded in some way, as you were subjected to not a very nice situation, and acted impeccably, shame on RCI for not giving you some type of reward, you must have been upset for the rest of the day.

When I was on P&O ship I complained about the unruly kids on one of the cruises and they gave me 25% off next cruise, they did put off some kids with there parents at Gibraltar.

How refreshing for a change! Someone with a complaint is not asking to be compensated in some way. It was noble of you to inform HQ of the incident for the sake of process improvement. Hopefully your next cruise with RCI will be without incident.:)

I am afraid I am one asking/telling RCI that you should have been rewarded in some way, as you were subjected to not a very nice situation, and acted impeccably, shame on RCI for not giving you some type of reward, you must have been upset for the rest of the day.

When I was on P&O ship I complained about the unruly kids on one of the cruises and they gave me 25% off next cruise, they did put off some kids with there parents at Gibraltar.

Seriously?? :rolleyes: wow.

Give me, give me, give me....:rolleyes:

While not as bad as the experience of the OP, my wife and I had a bad one in Chops. A large table of about 10 or 12 were very loud, banging the tableware on the glasses, loud (and inappropriate) joking, and obnoxious laughter. The host was the ring leader and the worse of the lot.

When our waiter presented our check, we tipped our usual generous amount (on top of the normal charge) because it wasn't his fault. He asked if we enjoyed dining experience and I told him definitely not, indicating the loud and obnoxious group at the next table. He looked very chagrined and obviously passed our displeasure to the manager, as the next day we received a written apology and the usual obligatory chocolate dipped strawberries.

Oh, did I mention the loud and obnoxious host at the table was also the hotel director. Obviously a bit to much to drink and certainly not acting the role of "officer and gentleman". I told my wife that if the Captain had witnessed his behavior, he would be in for a good dressing down.

Unfortunately of late this seems to be a chronic problem. While nothing as severe as you experienced we had several "unfortunate" incidents on our last cruise in which management attention was requested and like you did not happen until escalated - and I do mean escalated, not by us but by the head of security of all people. One situation was rectified almost immediately once he intervened, one took a few days but was finally resolved (although never with a face to face with the manager in question and with a definite tone of condescension in the phone conversations-like they were just doing it to make me go away) and the others - eventually but two - never. I sent RCI Customer Service an email post cruise and even received one of their "how did we do?" random surveys in which again I outlined the issues and how they were/were not handled and guess what? six months later and I've heard nothing from RCI in response. Concerned about customer satisfaction? Not so much I think. I've been involved in Customer Service for a long time and this is definitely NOT the way it's supposed to be done.

Seriously?? :rolleyes: wow.

Give me, give me, give me....:rolleyes:

Seriously? Wow. Just wow. :(

---------------------------------------

Why not they truly messed up big time, let them pay something even through the OP did not want anything, a offer would be nice,,, its not about give me give me, its about their acknowledgement of one of their cruiser that pay their wages who was subjected to a very bad situation, its all very nice saying they have taken it on board etc etc, but its all after the horse has bolted, just very bad customer relations

I can tell you that a small reward in some way, does make people think about coming back to a cruise company, whats the C&A about, a reward to make you come back.

Thanks for keeping us updated. While it is admirable that you felt you needed no compensation from RCI, as a long time Customer Service Supervisor, in my opinion, the LEAST they should have offered you is a comped dinner. You were good enough to advise them in a calm, concise, RESPECTFUL manner of short comings in their procedure where most would have simply complained, bad mouthed and never used their service again, possibly taking other clients with you. YOU provided them a service and should have been compensated and appreciated for that, after all, you have no way of knowing if the event was actually used as an opportunity to train the staff of not - you can only take RCIs word, which hopefully, is enough. Whether you chose to accept whatever they offered you or not does not make you out for personal gain, the offer should have been made by RCI because it would show they appreciate your business and are legitimately concerned about the quality of their service and their guests' experiences. If I had been in charge of this investigation, as I said, the least you would have been offered is a comped dinner. Whether you chose to take advantage of it or not was your choice but at least it was out there and you would know that your efforts were appreciated. It's a small cost to keep a happy customer and a part of doing business. I admit I'm relatively new to this cruising thing but I have worked Customer Service at places that practically gave a way the farm for much, much less and with thousands of dollars less in potential lost revenue at stake, because their customers AND their reputation was import to them. "We're sorry we screwed up and because of you we now know it so Thank You for saving our butt and in appreciation please take this little token, because you are important to us, without you we wouldn't be here".

As for the offenders of this behaviour, I admit it's been a while since I read the Rules of Conduct while aboard ship, but I'm sure I read somewhere within that public intoxication and similar offensive behaviour was grounds for being removed from the ship at the next port and am surprised that in such an extreme situation this was not enforced since I'm convinced that while you saw this as an opportunity for RCI to re-school their staff, other witnesses (and quite likely those families that choose to remove themselves from that environment) would consider not sailing with RCI again which is a much larger loss of revenue than all the alcohol those idiots would likely be able to consume. Again, kudos to you for taking the high road but RCI could have done better IMHO.

Archived