Do you think NCL owes them anything?

Cruiser303!

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your comments and opinions.

Hurricane Irene presented a very challenging set of circumstances, particularly for Norwegian Gem. We did everything possible to minimize the effects of these challenging circumstances. Given that, we recognize the disappointment caused by the storm's impact to the August 28 cruise. In appreciation of our guests' patience and understanding, we have extended an on-board credit to guests currently aboard Norwegian Gem. We hope everyone enjoys their cruise.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

Dear All,

Hurricane Irene presented a very challenging set of circumstances, particularly for Norwegian Gem. We did everything possible to minimize the effects of these challenging circumstances. Given that, we recognize the disappointment caused by the storm's impact to the August 28 cruise. In appreciation of our guests' patience and understanding, we have extended a $100 on-board credit per stateroom to all guests currently aboard Norwegian Gem. We hope everyone enjoys their cruise.

Sincerely,

NCL does the right thing and by taking the time to put everyone's mind at ease, they posted. They have wonderful customer service! :)

Dear All,

Hurricane Irene presented a very challenging set of circumstances, particularly for Norwegian Gem. We did everything possible to minimize the effects of these challenging circumstances. Given that, we recognize the disappointment caused by the storm's impact to the August 28 cruise. In appreciation of our guests' patience and understanding, we have extended a $100 on-board credit per stateroom to all guests currently aboard Norwegian Gem. We hope everyone enjoys their cruise.

Sincerely,

A very nice gesture. :)

Dear All,

Hurricane Irene presented a very challenging set of circumstances, particularly for Norwegian Gem. We did everything possible to minimize the effects of these challenging circumstances. Given that, we recognize the disappointment caused by the storm's impact to the August 28 cruise. In appreciation of our guests' patience and understanding, we have extended an on-board credit to guests currently aboard Norwegian Gem. We hope everyone enjoys their cruise.

Sincerely,

To those of us that love NCL, this comes as no surprise. :)

Dear All,

Sincerely,

That is WONDERFUL to hear. I had faith that NCL would want to keep their loyal customers happy and coming back year after year!

I can't wait to leave for my long-awaited cruise to Bermuda on SUNDAY!!!

Nadine

I must tell you I am pretty much an NCL loyalist but still think they are wrong. In the 10 years I have been on all these boards, I never before heard a cruise line not refund at least a prorata portion when a cruise was cut short. In addition a $100 per stateroom means the lower priced staterooms get a higher proportionate refund than the people who paid more. the right thing to do is what every other cruise line, including NCL did in the past....because its the right thing to do....

BTW Florida contract law has a duty of fair dealing implied in every contract(not taking advantage of your superior position)....

Dear All,

Sincerely,

Is that an OBC instead of, or in addition to, a refund of 1/7 of the cruise fare?

But 100% of the profit on the mass market lines is from the on-board revenues. They would be bleeding red ink if all they had was the ticket revenues. I'm sure you saw the Peter Greenberg-hosted CNBC special that covered a week-long cruise on the Norwegian Pearl and went over that in detail...or as you said you can also read their financials.

One could just as easily state that 70-75% of profits is from ticket sales. Money is fungible and pricing of the various aspects of the actual price of a cruise is psychology. The only reason to break out taxes, port fees and service charges (tips) is to make appear that the cruise costs less than it actually does.

I assume it won't surprise you that the Guest Ticket Contract says otherwise...and if you want to claim it's an unenforceable provision, it will be up to you, the passenger, to pursue that claim.

6. Vessel and Voyage:

(a) Risk of Travel: The Guest admits and acknowledges that travel by ocean-going vessel occasionally

presents risks and circumstances that may be beyond the ability of the Carrier to reasonably control or

mitigate. The Guest's understanding includes all risks of travel, transportation, and handling of Guests

and baggage. The Guest therefore assumes the risk of and releases the Carrier from any injury, loss, or

damage whatsoever arising from, caused by, or in the judgment of the Carrier or Master rendered

necessary or advisable by reason of: any act of God or public enemies; force majeure; arrest; restraints of

governments or their departments or under color of law; piracy; war; revolution; extortion; terrorist actions

or threats; hijacking; bombing; threatened or actual rebellion, insurrection, or civil strife; fire, explosion,

collision, stranding or grounding; weather conditions; docking or anchoring difficulty; congestion; perils of

the sea, rivers, canals, locks or other waters; perils of navigation of any kind; lack of water or passageway

in canals; theft; accident to or from machinery, boilers, or latent defects (even though existing at

embarkation or commencement of voyages); barratry; desertion or revolt of the crew; seizure of ship by

legal process; strike, lockout or labor disturbance (regardless whether such strike, lockout or labor

disturbance results from a dispute between the Carrier and its employees or any other parties); or from

losses of any kind beyond the Carrier's control. Under any such circumstances the voyage may be

altered, shortened, lengthened, or cancelled in whole or part without liability to the Carrier for a refund or

otherwise

BTW do you really want to believe that if they cancel the cruise because of any of these issues they wouldn't owe a refund.

I believe that they intent of this clause is to prevent consequential damages arising out of such an event NOT a refund of the amount of the cruise not earned because of the shortened cruise....but if the ships sails on a less than a number of days cruise(not boarding a few hours late) its in my opinion a different story...and NCL's own past history is they refund this. What did NCL do when a rogue wave hit? Did it not refund and get the people back to NY....

One could just as easily state that 70-75% of profits is from ticket sales. Money is fungible and pricing of the various aspects of the actual price of a cruise is psychology. The only reason to break out taxes, port fees and service charges (tips) is to make appear that the cruise costs less than it actually does.

and to not pay commission on certain portions...

LOL, they are probably sick of everyone second guessing them no matter what they do.:mad::rolleyes:

Could be? I do agree though with what someone else just posted. If I have the GV and paid $8K for my cruise while someone else is staying in an inside cabin and paid $1600 - a $100 OBC just couldn't quite cut it.

I never really got a true answer - if you have insurance, will you be compensated by them for the day you missed? Does anyone know the correct answer?

I never really got a true answer - if you have insurance, will you be compensated by them for the day you missed? Does anyone know the correct answer?

Probably you never got a true answer because there is no absolute for everyone. It completely depends on your policy. The policy I normally use for travel, the answer would be no. But depending on what is in the fine print of your policy regarding trip interruption and/or "acts of god".

Probably you never got a true answer because there is no absolute for everyone. It completely depends on your policy. The policy I normally use for travel, the answer would be no. But depending on what is in the fine print of your policy regarding trip interruption and/or "acts of god".

I'm sure, as you stated, all policies are different. Just out of curiosity I will be asking my TA.

Could be? I do agree though with what someone else just posted. If I have the GV and paid $8K for my cruise while someone else is staying in an inside cabin and paid $1600 - a $100 OBC just couldn't quite cut it. Just my thoughts but everyone was denied access to their cabin/suite regardless of which they had booked. I find nothing wrong with NCL giving everyone the same "gift" since it is not reimbursement for their cabin as much as an "I'm sorry we couldn't get you onboard." Their insurance will take care of reimbursing them for their cabin or suite unless they CHOSE not to buy it OR didn't pay attention to what they were buying.

I just checked my policy and I would be covered since they were delayed at least 24 hours due to inclement weather. I would get $150 for a room and food (hard to live on in NYC but we wouldn't have driven there until Monday anyway) and reimbursed for 1/7th of the cruise fare.

Since everyone has different policies, some may be covered and some may not.

As I've already stated, everyone got $50 OBC back in December when the ship was a day late coming into NYC from drydock due to a crane mishap.

I believe that the 1/7th pymt back came from the owners of the crane.

Just because I had an owners suite, (which was awesome!), shouldn't mean that I was entitled to more OBC then someone in an inside. EVERYONE was put out just as much as the next guy.

I buy insurance for each and every trip and have been taking the policy that covers terrorism. (which is sad that I have to do this)

It sucked to do a 6 day i/o 7 day cruise and it sucked even more that we missed the one port we booked the trip for.....Nassau, but stuff happens and you move on. I could have opted to stay home and get re-imbursed 100%, but then I would have been home with money and nothing to do.

If I really want to see Nassau, I will have to book another cruise. ;):)

I wrote a letter to NCL and to let them know all the wonderful parts of the cruise, (butler, food, cabin, concierge, the cleanliness of the whole ship, the friendlieness of the staff etc.), and I also let them know how disappointed I was that we lost a full day and about the notification.

Lost day was not their fault, but the notification was in which was just downright terrible. I believe they have since up'd their game when it comes to notifying its passengers.

I must say that they sent a lovely letter back to me.

NCL does listen to its passengers and wants them to come back time and

time again. I know I will. I even advised a woman here at work to try NCL and she will be in Dec. and is looking forward to it. She even got herself upgraded to an owners suite and she is already looking to book on NCL for April and Oct of 2012.

BTW do you really want to believe that if they cancel the cruise because of any of these issues they wouldn't owe a refund.

I believe that they intent of this clause is to prevent consequential damages arising out of such an event NOT a refund of the amount of the cruise not earned because of the shortened cruise....but if the ships sails on a less than a number of days cruise(not boarding a few hours late) its in my opinion a different story...and NCL's own past history is they refund this. What did NCL do when a rogue wave hit? Did it not refund and get the people back to NY....

The last sentence of the quoted clause of the contract says: " Under any such circumstances the voyage may be altered, shortened, lengthened, or cancelled in whole or part without liability to the Carrier for a refund or

otherwise".

The wording "without liability for refund or otherwise" is about as plain as it can be. I'm not suggesting they would go to that extreme, but you can't convince me that only addresses consequential damages. Why include the wording "for refund"? If it's intended to only deny liability for consequential damages it should say just that. If I ever tried to write that type of language into an insurance policy and explained to our attorneys it was only intended to apply to consequential damages, they would still be making snide remarks about my ability to construct policy language 20 years later.

No you can't because the passengers are only obligated to pay the fare and taxes, and if they do (and we have been on cruises where we didn't spend one dime beyond the fare, plus tips), the cruise line is 100% certain to lose money.

Thank you NCL #1 for putting a stop to the guessing. #2 for caring enough to respond. #3 last but not least for caring about your customers.

NCL does the right thing and by taking the time to put everyone's mind at ease, they posted. They have wonderful customer service! :)

A very nice gesture. :)

A gesture is about all it is. If the OBC is $100 per cabin (and I understand the post was modified to eliminate reference to the amount), and there is no fare refund in addition that is insufficient compensation for any cabin costing more than $700 for the week...which means essentially 100% of the cabins. If you had spent, say $2800 for your cabin , missing one day of your cruise has a value of $400, and you are being offered $100 in compensation.

Great customer service. :rolleyes:

Archived