Thinking of Oceania

Renmar

We are thinking of booking the Trans Atlantic for 2012 on the Marina. Can any of you convince us to go with Oceania.

As you can see below we have mainly cruised with Princess.

Any info would be great.

Theo

It is a personal choice

It depends on what you like /dislike in a cruise experience

With Oceania there are no formal nights

open dining, no charge for coffee, soft drinks, bottled water

no charge for specialty restaurants except La reserve & Privee (Marina Only) but reservations required

No children's programs

Limited smoking areas ..2 small areas which you can avoid

If you scroll through the post here you will the same topic already discussed

Lyn

We have sailed with HAL. Generally speaking the service on Oceania is far superior. The cabin stewards are better, there more often, keep everything perfect. The food on Oceania is much better in the MDR and way better in the specialty restaurants (for which there is no charge). While HAL and Oceania both fall in the "premium" category, there is little comparison. We feel that Oceania is as close to "luxury" as it can get. That goes across the board with the staff -- they are always doing their utmost to please.

The daily high tea in Horizons is wonderful.

That being said, there are some drawbacks with O. Entertainment is the big one. Being a smaller line, the entertainment is bistro-style entertainment, mostly OK, but rarely anything special and certainly not super professional like on the big lines. The port-intensive O cruises make that a little less problematic as a short night's entertainment is usually enough, but the two lines don't compare at all in this category, with a big lead to Princess or whatever other big line you are comparing!

Don't get me wrong, HAL was nice. We had a great time. But overall, we find that it did not compare to O at all. Princess, theoretically being a step below HAL, should see a similar comparison.

It is a personal choice

It depends on what you like /dislike in a cruise experience

With Oceania there are no formal nights

open dining, no charge for coffee, soft drinks, bottled water

no charge for specialty restaurants except La reserve & Privee (Marina Only) but reservations required

No children's programs

Limited smoking areas ..2 small areas which you can avoid

If you scroll through the post here you will the same topic already discussed

Lyn

We have sailed with HAL. Generally speaking the service on Oceania is far superior. The cabin stewards are better, there more often, keep everything perfect. The food on Oceania is much better in the MDR and way better in the specialty restaurants (for which there is no charge). While HAL and Oceania both fall in the "premium" category, there is little comparison. We feel that Oceania is as close to "luxury" as it can get. That goes across the board with the staff -- they are always doing their utmost to please.

The daily high tea in Horizons is wonderful.

That being said, there are some drawbacks with O. Entertainment is the big one. Being a smaller line, the entertainment is bistro-style entertainment, mostly OK, but rarely anything special and certainly not super professional like on the big lines. The port-intensive O cruises make that a little less problematic as a short night's entertainment is usually enough, but the two lines don't compare at all in this category, with a big lead to Princess or whatever other big line you are comparing!

Don't get me wrong, HAL was nice. We had a great time. But overall, we find that it did not compare to O at all. Princess, theoretically being a step below

HAL, should see a similar comparison.

Thank you both for your reply it will certainly help with making a decision in the next few days.

Theo

With the preventative maintenace the line is doing on the engines on their ships with the missed ports and delayed/shortened port times I would go cruising with any other cruise line. Now is the time for the Oceania regulars to disagree but they are wrong. Oceania is not customer friendly and way over priced for us to be treated to this kind of service. My humble opinion is that Oceania is the new non customer oriented cruise line. If they can't do it they shouldn't sell it and then change after they have everyones money:mad::mad:

With the preventative maintenace the line is doing on the engines on their ships

They are not doing any preventative maintenance ( that would affect the ship) on the Marina which is the ship the OP asked about.

It is a new ship unlike the R-ships that may need some work ...just like the rest of us when we age ;)

They are not doing any preventative maintenance ( that would affect the ship) on the Marina which is the ship the OP asked about.

It is a new ship unlike the R-ships that may need some work ...just like the rest of us when we age ;)

Excuse me but they are calling it preventative maintenance on the Regatta. I knew you would respond.:)

Excuse me but they are calling it preventative maintenance on the Regatta. I knew you would respond.:)

The only one discussing Regatta is you. As Lynn wrote the OP is asking about Marina. ....and yes she is great about answering inquiries here on CC.

We recently completed a cruise on Marina on the French coast. We missed two ports due to dangerous tendering conditions, but as a former naval officer, I fully understood the Captains' decision. The food was superb on Marina, and the crew was as well. Despite some grouching by some cruisers about how much others might have paid, it was a wonderful first cruise with Oceania. I would highly recommend them.

We recently completed a cruise on Marina on the French coast. We missed two ports due to dangerous tendering conditions, but as a former naval officer, I fully understood the Captains' decision. The food was superb on Marina, and the crew was as well. Despite some grouching by some cruisers about how much others might have paid, it was a wonderful first cruise with Oceania. I would highly recommend them.

I was also on that cruise and agree with everything you say and the service I received was so outstanding,that it was up there with Crystal!

For a moment I thought things were getting nasty on this tread but fortunately cool heads prevailed. We knew that the Marina is a new ship and that was one of the reasons we choose to look at the different itineraries. The other reason is the 2 for 1 deal they are offering at the moment.

Thank you all for your input and FYI we booked the 18 day cruise from Rome to Rio.

Theo

The other reason is the 2 for 1 deal they are offering at the moment.

Theo

For the record, the 2 for 1 isn't offered just for the moment. It is the standard method for almost all, if not all cruise lline advertise their rates. It is really totally meaningless. The cruise line comes up with what they want to charge for a specific cruise. They then double that number and post that as the rate and then say they will give you 2 for 1.

They also will add to that doubled amount and call that added amount an additional discount. Don't be fooled by their marketing techniques. Compare cruise lines, itineraries, prices, what is provided, the reputation of the cruise line, etc. and then make your decision of the best final value for yourselves.

2 for 1's are just hypes so don't be fooled by hypes; do your homework and then enjoy your cruise.

For the record, the 2 for 1 isn't offered just for the moment. It is the standard method for almost all, if not all cruise lline advertise their rates. It is really totally meaningless. The cruise line comes up with what they want to charge for a specific cruise. They then double that number and post that as the rate and then say they will give you 2 for 1.

They also will add to that doubled amount and call that added amount an additional discount. Don't be fooled by their marketing techniques. Compare cruise lines, itineraries, prices, what is provided, the reputation of the cruise line, etc. and then make your decision of the best final value for yourselves.

2 for 1's are just hypes so don't be fooled by hypes; do your homework and then enjoy your cruise.

Us hillbillies call that peeing on your leg and telling you it's raining.

Renmar, I too am a Canadian who will be on a TA from Rio to Barcelona next March. In this case, the "free airfare" is a simply unbelievable deal.

If you want to appreciate the value you are getting, pick a Princess TA, and ask them what the flight alone would cost.

Once you know your flights (be sure to pay the $100 deviation fee to fly at least a day early and get the flights you want), go to the airline and see what these flights would have cost you if you had booked yourself. You will be jumping up and down with glee once you see what you would have paid.

I will not say that the service is better on Oceania, because we have always been treated incredibly well on Princess.

We have noticed that we spend far less time waiting in line, for anything, on Oceania.

We are thinking of booking the Trans Atlantic for 2012 on the Marina. Can any of you convince us to go with Oceania.

As you can see below we have mainly cruised with Princess.

Any info would be great.

Theo

Book the Marina at your own risk :D - it may stop you from cruising on Princess ever again.

The ship is beautiful, service very good but the true star is the food. Especially in the 4 specialty restaurants and the Cafe.

I am sure you would enjoy Oceania in general and the Marina in particular.

Homework done, thank you. It's not just the 2 for 1 (we know the advertising gimmicks of the cruise lines) but also the included flight, 1 night hotel in Rome pre cruise, all gratuities, transfers to & from airport/hotel to ship.

And with the Canuck dollar being higher than the Yankee dollar we can't loose.

Theo

Homework done, thank you. It's not just the 2 for 1 (we know the advertising gimmicks of the cruise lines) but also the included flight, 1 night hotel in Rome pre cruise, all gratuities, transfers to & from airport/hotel to ship.

Theo

I would check about the transfers you usually only get 1 from the hotel to the ship for the free hotel deal unless you have paid extra for them

& the hotel you can take the credit & book your own cheaper

Theo

Make no mistake, you are paying for this, and generally at a premium. The key is many people don't mind paying extra for the convenience of having the cruise line take care of these things for them. I do believe everything you mentioned there can be taken care of individually or on your own with the exception of the gratuities, and you're going to pay them either way.

The included flight sometimes is better to take with O, other times cheaper to do on your own. The hotel you can get a credit for I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and like the flight you can get a better deal on your own. The transfers you definitely get a better deal on. It's not like they are putting you in a private limo, yet you are paying limo rates.

As I stated it's all how important convenience is to you and not having to take care of arrangements yourself. I'm an old retired fella with more time than money so I don't mind doing things on my own.

Make no mistake, you are paying for this, and generally at a premium. The key is many people don't mind paying extra for the convenience of having the cruise line take care of these things for them. I do believe everything you mentioned there can be taken care of individually or on your own with the exception of the gratuities, and you're going to pay them either way.

The included flight sometimes is better to take with O, other times cheaper to do on your own. The hotel you can get a credit for I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and like the flight you can get a better deal on your own. The transfers you definitely get a better deal on. It's not like they are putting you in a private limo, yet you are paying limo rates.

As I stated it's all how important convenience is to you and not having to take care of arrangements yourself. I'm an old retired fella with more time than money so I don't mind doing things on my own.

I know what you are saying and I too like to do all the arrangements myself but I have yet to find an airline (or multiple airlines) that will give me one way tickets from Vancouver (or Seattle) to Rome and from Rio back to Vancouver/Seattle at a reasonable price. If you know some please let me know.

Theo

The "free" air is often a good deal (as it seems to be for you) but the "free" hotel never is. You get a $500 credit for the free hotel and you can surely do much better than that on your own (often even in a better hotel than what Oceania is offering) - even with transfer from hotel to ship.

Your choice.

I know what you are saying and I too like to do all the arrangements myself but I have yet to find an airline (or multiple airlines) that will give me one way tickets from Vancouver (or Seattle) to Rome and from Rio back to Vancouver/Seattle at a reasonable price. If you know some please let me know.

Theo

As Burm pointed out in an earlier post, at this moment in time, you will probably SAVE a GREAT DEAL of money by letting Oceania book the air arrangements for you.

Particularly in cases like yours, where you essentially need two one way tickets, you will NOT save money by doing it yourself.

Archived