Why is everything a Top Secret?

Ocala200

I'm amazed at the fact that some of the cruise lines are so tight lipped about the damage that their private islands may have received from Irene. Are we viewed as the enemy or their customers?

All during Irene (and now after) Cruise Critic has been the best source of information out there. Thanks to everyone who posted on what was going on. The circus surrounding the Veendam's early return to NY, it's sitting at the pier until today, and it's sailing, was descibed in detail on a CC thread. What a mess. No one seemed to know what was going on; information was apparently on a need to know basis, and that the decision was the cruising public didn't need to know.

We have a cruise on the Disney Dream coming up, and information about the condition of Castaway Cay seems to be as closely guarded a secret as the Manhattan Project. The cruise lines need to be reminded that information is a good thing, and we're on their side.

I certainly do not have a reputation as one that defends cruise lines, but in this situation we think you are being a bit harsh. You are expecting info from cruise lines in a situation where they may not even have the answers. Regarding ship movements, what a ship does in a hurricane environment is a team effort headed-up by the Master of the vessel (the ship's Captain) who routinely consults with his (or her) company. Decisions will sometimes change hour by hour depending on circumstances, and getting info out to the public is probably not the #1 priority. As to the so-called private islands (some are actually not totally private islands such as RCIs Labadee) these facilities are usually managed by a caretaker and some local staff. In the event of a major hurricane thread we suspect these facilites might be totally evacuated. Once the storm is passed, the caretaker must return and do an assessment. In some cases the caretaker may need to wait for additional personal (such as an engineer) to get to the "island" and do further assessments. The fact that the cruise lines might need a few days to put it all together, make some key managment decisions, re-arrange ship itineraries, and finally get some info out to the general public probably does not qualify as a "guarded secret" but is more likely the fog of a hurricane (like the fog of war). Be patient. By the way, it does stop with Irene. There is currently another storm moving across the Atlantic which will eventually become at least a Cat 2 Hurricane. At this point nobody knows exactly where this new storm will go, but this would be a new consideration for the cruise lines. I guess I am trying to say, "give these folks a break." They have an awful lot of issues on their plate and circumstances are changing on a daily basis.

Hank

We have a cruise on the Disney Dream coming up, and information about the condition of Castaway Cay seems to be as closely guarded a secret as the Manhattan Project. The cruise lines need to be reminded that information is a good thing, and we're on their side.

Being a DVC member, Disney likes to play things close to the vest. Watched Bay Lake Tower going up and asking questions, CM's, DVC guides etc would be "what building are you talking about? We don't see anything.":D Same with the Aulani mess.

They don't want anyone getting "nervous" and cancelling. The private beaches really don't have THAT much that can be destroyed....a hut or two! Maybe a palm tree down. The beach will get wet...so what! It will dry!

I wouldn't worry too much about it!

We were on Oasis last week, and our cruise was reversed. When we got to Haiti (Labadee) there was some beach erosion and the water was stirred up so that it wasn't clear.

Our guide on the Wave Runners said that the storm had done some damage on Tuesday, but that thanks to the help of about 200 townspeople who spent over 12 hours working on Wednesday, clearing brush, and cleaning the beaches, we were able to be there on Thursday. The resort was in pretty good shape, and the beach was cleared and there weren't any branches or stuff on the ground. But that was only because of the hard work of the staff and Haitian people. There was one area that was roped of on the beach, as they had some erosion from the storm.

I think that the company does the best that they can, and sometimes they just can't give us the most immediate information, as it is still be developed.

I think that we just need to relax and trust that they will make the decisions that are the best for us.

They don't want anyone getting "nervous" and cancelling. The private beaches really don't have THAT much that can be destroyed....a hut or two! Maybe a palm tree down. The beach will get wet...so what! It will dry!

I wouldn't worry too much about it!

In the years we've been going to Half Moon Cay (HAL's private island), we have seen beach erosion. HMC is all about beach but each storm takes away more. We were just there in May and I commented to DH, that when high tide, there was a noticeable decrease in how much beach there still was.

We love HMC and hope it went through the storm with relatively little damage. Foliage will regrow or be replanted, flowers will bloom again, cabanas can be rebuilt and the barbeque area can be rebuilt though it probably survived just fine.

To me, there are alot of things more important than the private islands used by the cruise lines. There are 5 million people without power. People wer killed. Peoples homes were destroyed or seriously damaged.

Well said Paul..

To me, there are alot of things more important than the private islands used by the cruise lines. There are 5 million people without power. People wer killed. Peoples homes were destroyed or seriously damaged.

Once again, you said what I was thinking :)

Thank you Paul for saying what many people here are thinking. Some things need to be put into perspective.

I joined the RCI, Carnival, Princess and John Heald's Facebook pages and saw several updates concerning the islands. They weren't indepth because, basically, these are remote areas and I'm sure not staffed during the storms. It takes time to assess damage and plan whatever repairs are needed, and I'm sure that sending out a Twitter alert saying something like "HMC suffered moderate damage" would only cause more questions to be asked.

Please......

We aren't capable of caring about those who suffer from effects of Hurricane Irene as well as HMC at the same time? One is not mutually exclusive of the other.

To think because we talk about a place we love, means we are oblivious to the devastation and pain others have suffered makes no sense. The human brain is capable of a multitude of thoughts and emotions at the same time.

I live in MA and well know the suffering some are enduring.

Please......

We aren't capable of caring about those who suffer from effects of Hurricane Irene as well as HMC at the same time? One is not mutually exclusive of the other.

To think because we talk about a place we love, means we are oblivious to the devastation and pain others have suffered makes no sense. The human brain is capable of a multitude of thoughts and emotions at the same time.

I live in MA and well know the suffering some are enduring.

And I'm sure those people upthread making those remarks only just came back to this board now, because they've been out raising money for Irene relief and helping with the clean-up and haven't had a chance to post about anything else the last few days LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
And I'm sure those people upthread making those remarks only just came back to this board now, because they've been out raising money for Irene relief and helping with the clean-up and haven't had a chance to post about anything else the last few days LOL.

Of course. And now they are cancelling their future cruises and donating that money too. Lets look at the big picture - millions around the world are suffering for many different reasons, how can any of us be worried about anything related to a cruise?

:rolleyes:

Nicely said.

Archived