Kids in CL?

Oh Boy...Oh Boy...Oh Boy!..on this subject. I am D+ with RCCL and enjoy my "adult" time in the CL with other passengers that I have met on other cruises or new friends on the current cruise I am in... and certainly do not care to have any kids invade this space.

Starting with the fact that some of those CL's are very small. So this means that when I arrive, there probably will not be a seat for me, cause they will be taken up by these kids?

The CL is not a place for children or young adults to be in. Period.

BTW- on the Home page of CCBoards, there is a big article regarding this.

From what the rep in the Exec Offices at RCCL told me a short time ago on the phone (they called me...), there have been more than a few emails/calls to the Boss.....and that the powers that be will be meeting to discuss all the feedback..

AND that the Concierge staff in all the CLs must maintain order and enforce the policies...and be sure that everyone is acting appropriately....

As for Chicken Nuggets and PB&J...well i LOVE PB&J!! LOL.....sometimes i get kind of sick of the stuff they serve...give me a "hot dog en croute" anytime!!!

And with regards to say, using the Solarium...yeah, it is too hot, and i really don't want to be near a pool in nice clothes, in the hot having a drink...YUCK

And with regards to say, using the Solarium...yeah, it is too hot, and i really don't want to be near a pool in nice clothes, in the hot having a drink...YUCK

Is the Solarium bar even open in the evening? I know it's open on Oasis and Allure, but I seem to remember it being closed on other classes in the evenings. :confused:

I wonder if it would be too much to ask parents, who might being infants in their strollers, if they would exit the CL and NOT change a dirty diaper while the kid is lying in the stroller?:eek:

There isn't room for strollers and I for one think that they should be banned in the CL. If you get 3 or 4 strollers along with the 3 or 4 families with them, there will be no room for anyone else.

BTW, we are currently Emerald book suites for the space and perks. When we booked our Oct cruise it was before the change to status and we would have been Diamond, but now we will still be Emerald after this trip. This totally affects our space and ability to enjoy the CL. Where do the rights of those of us who have already raised our kids and cruise as a couple fit into this? Regardless of how perfect people think their children are, they will be climbing over the sofas, chairs and yes, tables, digging around in the food and taking up the time and attention of the bar tender as well as the concierge.

How unfair to put the concierge in the place of having to parent some of these children. I can see it now, those parents who make all the noise will make it impossible for everyone else to enjoy the CL if someone dare say something about the behavior of their children.

No matter how much parents protest, I have yet to see a 5 year old who can sit in one place for more than 5 minutes, regardless of how "perfect" their parents think they are.

Mine were very well behaved, but I certainly never expected children to be anything but children which is why they DON'T belong everywhere.

DH has already said (in his email to Adam Goldstein also) that if this is as big a problem as we know it's going to be, we will be moving on and finding another cruise line that truly has balance. The whole idea of cocktail hour for suite guests was instituted as as perk for the ADULTS so I'm amazed that all of a sudden parents think it's a perk for the kids too. That's never been what it was.

I do think some need to learn the true definition of fairness. Because this isn't FAIR to the adults that will be affected.

I have an idea for what's fair. Each suite gets two seats in the CL, no more. That would be fair to everyone. :-)

I wonder if it would be too much to ask parents, who might being infants in their strollers, if they would exit the CL and NOT change a dirty diaper while the kid is lying in the stroller?:eek:

Awwww come on, you expect them to do it lying in their stroller??? I would think they would change it on the table or on a chair??? :D:D

There isn't room for strollers and I for one think that they should be banned in the CL. If you get 3 or 4 strollers along with the 3 or 4 families with them, there will be no room for anyone else.

BTW, we are currently Emerald book suites for the space and perks. When we booked our Oct cruise it was before the change to status and we would have been Diamond, but now we will still be Emerald after this trip. This totally affects our space and ability to enjoy the CL. Where do the rights of those of us who have already raised our kids and cruise as a couple fit into this? Regardless of how perfect people think their children are, they will be climbing over the sofas, chairs and yes, tables, digging around in the food and taking up the time and attention of the bar tender as well as the concierge.

How unfair to put the concierge in the place of having to parent some of these children. I can see it now, those parents who make all the noise will make it impossible for everyone else to enjoy the CL if someone dare say something about the behavior of their children.

No matter how much parents protest, I have yet to see a 5 year old who can sit in one place for more than 5 minutes, regardless of how "perfect" their parents think they are.

Mine were very well behaved, but I certainly never expected children to be anything but children which is why they DON'T belong everywhere.

DH has already said (in his email to Adam Goldstein also) that if this is as big a problem as we know it's going to be, we will be moving on and finding another cruise line that truly has balance. The whole idea of cocktail hour for suite guests was instituted as as perk for the ADULTS so I'm amazed that all of a sudden parents think it's a perk for the kids too. That's never been what it was.

I do think some need to learn the true definition of fairness. Because this isn't FAIR to the adults that will be affected.

I have an idea for what's fair. Each suite gets two seats in the CL, no more. That would be fair to everyone. :-)

And you can bet your sweet bippy that there will be demands/requests for "kid friendly" snacks as well. Of course Suite guests will consider this new policy as a "perk" for their kids and will demand that there be a nice array of sodas...juices for the kids that can't have soda...sugar free drinks for the kids who can't have sugar..no nuts or nut products for the kids that have a nut allergy...no seafood in case a kid grabs something with seafood in it...and on and on and on and on....:rolleyes:

I just got a call from the executive office........they appreciate hearing from everyone...........I let her know exactly how I felt..........

I asked about the Diamond Lounge and there has been NO changes to that area......kid free!!:)

I told them I think they are trying to chase away empty nesters,like me and have us go to Celebrity.......

I explained I have nothing against kids(worked in kindergarten many years) but I do prefer an adult only area for that 3 1/2 hours....didn't think that was too much to ask..........in fact,I suggested they make it kid friendly from 5-6:30 then adults only(like was suggested on here)........

I also said it is the concierge who will have the most problems.......esp if he/she has to tell a mom or dad that their little one is acting(think Mama Bear!!)

They are getting bombarded with emails and phone calls and she told me they would probably be 'revisiting" the policy sometime and may make changes..

This new policy does come from the feedback of the suite guest(no surprise there)

So if you do not like this policy,please let them know it!

That was not in the announcement posted by RCI, and since this all came about due to complaints of Suite passengers, who use the CL and not the DL, I would say the answer is probably no.

I don't believe that there has been any official word on this....but someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't see how they can treat the D lounge any different than they treat the CL now as far as children.....you tell me how they are going to ague with a D passenger that their child can't enter the D lounge but their friends who are staying in suites can join their parents in the CL.....you really want to see a suite verse loyalty war break out, just try having separate rules like that for both lounges.

If you have a suite with guests who are D/D+/PC Members then they are entitled to use either the CL or the DL on those ships that have them.

If these D/D+/PC suite guests are traveling with family booked in other cabins that are only Diamond Members and they would like to spend time with them in the evening during the hours of 5-8:30.........then I would think that these suite guests have every right to bring their children with them in the DL. Oh, what a can of worms they have opened!!:eek::(

Edit: I see that Kathy got clarification about the DL.

We also were called in response to our letter to Mr. Goldstein and told essentially the same as PH8 and all the others who responded. RCI would revisit this issue was what I was told. However, since there have been so many problems identified with the new change, hopefully this will be revisited sooner rather than later.

If you have a suite with guests who are D/D+/PC Members then they are entitled to use either the CL or the DL on those ships that have them.

If these D/D+/PC suite guests are traveling with family booked in other cabins that are only Diamond Members and they would like to spend time with them in the evening during the hours of 5-8:30.........then I would think that these suite guests have every right to bring their children with them in the DL. Oh, what a can of worms they have opened!!:eek::(

Edit: I see that Kathy got clarification about the DL.

WWWaaaahhhhhoooooo....us D+ have another perk that D doesn't get....we get to fill the CL with our kids now since they aren't allowed in the D lounge.....did someway say something about worms:D

I don't have time to back and read all the pages so if anyone can summarize or point out a particular post # on any response from corporate on this boneheaded policy, I would appreciate it. This is beyond stupid. I like kids, I was one. What is so wrong with having the CL as a quiet ADULT oasis for a few hours? There's hardly any room anyway. Now we're going to have the possibility of screeching infants and squirmy toddlers and bored 10 year olds? I agree - teens will be off doing their own thing. I will be letting Corporate know of my displeasure and I hope everyone does too. I can't believe that the majority of suite guests are in favor of this. We are Diamond and booked a GS SPECIFICALLY for several of the perks - the Concierge Lounge being the main reason since we are traveling with others in a GS and wanted to be able to meet for pre dinner drinks. This is a real boneheaded move, very disappointing.

:eek: Just saw that some of you have heard back from corporate. Hope they fix this before our November cruise!

I am not D+, no do I think I will ever go beyond D because I like all sorts if different types of travel.

BUT I can 100% understand why children are now being allowed in the CL. The parents who pay upwards of 10,000 a week, have asked for it.

I am sure that a great many D+ cruises have never event spent 10K total on board, let alone in one week.

I see this as a sign of the times, D+ members will be pushed out of the CL very shortly. the CL are too small for the many many many D+ cruises. So they will be moved to a new area, and the CL will be for suite access, and maybe P members.

I am not D+, no do I think I will ever go beyond D because I like all sorts if different types of travel.

BUT I can 100% understand why children are now being allowed in the CL. The parents who pay upwards of 10,000 a week, have asked for it.

I am sure that a great many D+ cruises have never event spent 10K total on board, let alone in one week.

I see this as a sign of the times, D+ members will be pushed out of the CL very shortly. the CL are too small for the many many many D+ cruises. So they will be moved to a new area, and the CL will be for suite access, and maybe P members.

I hardly think that one who has taken 25 cruises with RCCL has not spent $10,000. Even if they were all short cruises costing a total of $500 each, it's still more than $10,000.

To be honest, I quit reading on page three because some of these people are annoying. I cruise in SUITES, I like SUITES and I pay ALOT OF MONEY for MY SUITE and for anyone traveling with me in MY SUITE. I have been in SUITES every time I cruise except one.

I hated the fact that on Voyager I wanted to stop by the CL to check on a shore excursion, pick up tickets, or have ONE drink, and my daughter could not come in with me. She is well behaved, well dressed, and respectful of adults and the atmosphere she is in. But because we wanted to obey the rules I had to either go in by myself and have her stand outside while I stuck my head in, or she had to stay in the cabin with my wife while I went. I PAID big bucks for my SUITE and could care less what a D+ down in some inside cabin thinks. This is a decision that should be left to the parent, and if you want to make crude jokes, talk inappropriately, or get drunk, the CL is not the place for you anyway. It is a quite place where behavior should be civilzed and refined, regardless of the age of the guest.

Would I sit around in there all night with my kid downing drinks, no way. Would it have been nice for her to have been able to stay with me when I briefly stopped by, yes.

To be honest, I quit reading on page three because some of these people are annoying. I cruise in SUITES, I like SUITES and I pay ALOT OF MONEY for MY SUITE and for anyone traveling with me in MY SUITE. I have been in SUITES every time I cruise except one.

I hated the fact that on Voyager I wanted to stop by the CL to check on a shore excursion, pick up tickets, or have ONE drink, and my daughter could not come in with me. She is well behaved, well dressed, and respectful of adults and the atmosphere she is in. But because we wanted to obey the rules I had to either go in by myself and have her stand outside while I stuck my head in, or she had to stay in the cabin with my wife while I went. I PAID big bucks for my SUITE and could care less what a D+ down in some inside cabin thinks. This is a decision that should be left to the parent, and if you want to make crude jokes, talk inappropriately, or get drunk, the CL is not the place for you anyway. It is a quite place where behavior should be civilzed and refined, regardless of the age of the guest.

Would I sit around in there all night with my kid downing drinks, no way. Would it have been nice for her to have been able to stay with me when I briefly stopped by, yes.

Looks to me by your signature, you've cruised ONCE with RCL....2 months ago....sooooo how can you feel that you can make a comment about D+ down in an inside cabin???? You haven't sailed enough with RCL to know enough D+ customers and what kind of cabin they stay in, have you?????

I personally after over 30 cruises with RCL don't know ANY D+ members that sail on inside cabins....all are usually D1 and JS's.....1 and 2 notches below the GS..

I hardly think that one who has taken 25 cruises with RCCL has not spent $10,000. Even if they were all short cruises costing a total of $500 each, it's still more than $10,000.

Agree 24 cruises at $500 = $12,000

I believe that foxsden was referring to a D+ Member not spending $10,000 on a cruise for "one" week like a guest might spend with children booked in a full suite.

When I send my email voicing my extreme displeasure I am going to include a quote that has been included in every welcome letter we have ever received from a concierge: "Due to the adult-oriented atmosphere and the availability of alcoholic beverages in the lounge between 5:00 and 8:30 p.m. each evening, only guests 21 years of age and above are welcome at this time." In fact, that sentence is bolded!

What has changed about that???:confused::confused::confused:

I agree. We had the same problem on our first Royal cruise in an OS with the kids. We didn't realize kids weren't allowed in during cocktail hour. I'm sure that as a lot of newer, younger cruisers with families are booking suites, the question is coming up more often and it needs to be addressed in some way.

I can't believe that someone who has sailed on RCCL once posted this comment. So you sailed in a SUITE one time with them (so what). We have sailed with them numerous times and never in less than a JS. Our children and now our grandchildren sail with us and as much as I love to be around them I don't feel that they should change the CL to include children during the happy hour.

Your daughter could go into the CL before. She just wasn't able to from the hours of 5-8:30.

Agree 24 cruises at $500 = $12,000

I've probably spent double that...at LEAST.....

with regards to those of us who emailed, being called back...here is a new one..looks like we have ALL gotten the SAME information!! go figure...

as for going to the Diamond Lounge/event instead.....well...yes it is kid free but i'd have to decide if i want wine/fizzy wine for free, or pay for what i want to drink...or put up with the kids in the CL.

I've probably spent double that...at LEAST.....

with regards to those of us who emailed, being called back...here is a new one..looks like we have ALL gotten the SAME information!! go figure...

Was her name Cynthia??

Archived