Pearl Harbor questions

Truffle

We purchased the Arizona Memorial Shore Excursions for our Nov. cruise to Hawaii. I noticed that the notes provided stated that no bags of any kind are allowed in the Memorial and that closed-toe shoes are required. What is the story with the shoes and what do people do with their purses?

You might be able to leave things on your tour bus, or you can use one of their lockers. If you are driving a car you leave everything in the trunk. They really are not flexible about letting bags past security. You may carry a camera and whatever fits in your pockets.

I have only toured Pearl Harbor and the Arizona about 8 times but have never worn closed-toe shoes so this is a surprising detail for me. Is it possible that the tour you booked requires this but Pearl Harbor does not? Thank you for the heads up, I am going to check the PH website. Cherie

Be advised that there is also a fee to use their storage. You do need to be careful of leaving anything in your car trunk, and certainly, have every in place there BEFORE you get there. Don't be opening your trunk in the parking lot. :)

When we have gone (several times) I always just have a small fanny pack with my wallet, my digital camera, and sunglasses. You could even put everything in a fairly small camera bag, if it will fit. Otherwise, if carrying a large purse, it would be necessary to check the purse (for a fee) and pick it up after your visit to the USS Arizona Memorial!

It really isn't difficult to comply with the regs. Usually we have been with a group, and could leave a backpack on our locked bus, but you will figure out what works best for you.

ENJOY!

From the Pearl Harbor website:

Security Measures

Pearl Harbor is still an active military installation, and as such there are strict security measures prohibiting purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. If you should need to bring these items with you, a secure storage facility is available for use at the entrance to the USS Bowfin Submarine Park for a charge of $3 per item. The storage facility operates daily 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Civilian Dress Attire

There is no dress code at Pearl Harbor, but visitors should keep in mind that this is a site where many lives were lost in service to the United States. Visitors should dress comfortably, as most of the day is spent standing and walking. Comfortable shoes are highly recommended. Sandals are permissible; however, wearing bathing suits or profane T-shirts is very much discouraged.

Was there just a few weeks ago, keens, open toe shoes :D

Had no issues taking multiple cameras hanging around my neck, but NO backpacks or big bags, they do offer a check-in for a small fee.

Same for Mo and submarine

210.jpg.dad0bbdc2f7475079b16bb8af2b6634e.jpg

When we have gone (several times) I always just have a small fanny pack with my wallet' date=' my digital camera, and sunglasses. You could even put everything in a fairly small camera bag, if it will fit. Otherwise, if carrying a large purse, it would be necessary to check the purse (for a fee) and pick it up after your visit to the USS Arizona Memorial!

It really isn't difficult to comply with the regs. Usually we have been with a group, and could leave a backpack on our locked bus, but you will figure out what works best for you.

ENJOY![/quote']

As others have noted, you cannot take a fanny pack or camera case/bag with you. No bags of any kind are permitted. This regulation has been in place for years, so I'm surprised to hear that you were allowed to do so. Generally, no exceptions are made for anyone.

beachchick

My mother in law was not allowed to wear/take her fanny pack into Pearl Harbor Memorial last summer when we were there.

As our tour guide said: If it won't fit in a pocket or is a camera...forget it.

A question,

My wife routinely wears a photographer's vest, the kind with MANY pockets.

Is that OK? or not

A question,

My wife routinely wears a photographer's vest, the kind with MANY pockets.

Is that OK? or not

Hmmmm, good question! Since it is being "worn" like clothing they might allow it. On the other hand, it might raise suspiscions as it could look too much like explosives.

That may be one to call the Visitors Center on and ask!

It's specific information such as this that makes the CC port boards an invaluable resource. We'll be doing an Might Mo and Arizona combo tour with the ship next year and are looking forward to it.

Please be aware that if you're on a tour the rules apply to Ford Island (Missouri and Pacific Aviation Museum) and you can't even have it on the bus when it crosses the bridge.

Hmmmm, good question! Since it is being "worn" like clothing they might allow it. On the other hand, it might raise suspiscions as it could look too much like explosives.

That may be one to call the Visitors Center on and ask!

Good idea.!

I just called.

The answer is that it is up to the discretion of the security officer on duty and they said to be sure that there is nothing too bulky in any of the pockets.

They may opt to do a scan or look-see at any suspicious pocket(s)

Good idea.!

I just called.

The answer is that it is up to the discretion of the security officer on duty and they said to be sure that there is nothing too bulky in any of the pockets.

They may opt to do a scan or look-see at any suspicious pocket(s)

Great that you found the answer! Now we can share that information with others who may have that question.

Thanks

women have many advantages, money and credit cards in left bra, cell phone in right bra, keys in middle, camera around neck. that takes care of the most important things. word of advise, if traveling by car always put your stuff in the trunk before destination that way no one sees what you are depositing there. this is usually what gets most robberies. cars are watched and thief sees purses, cameras etc going into trunk. looks good to them. especially if you area going to the beach. thiefs are on the lookout for those who are careless. i always put my stuff in the back of the trunk before i get to location. when trunk is opened nothing shows. better be safe than sorry.

My husband, also a photographer, bought some construction worker pants that had nail bags for holding nails. Essentially, they were like cargo pants with extra pockets. They held his large lens perfectly along with extra batteries and all sort of stuff. There was a discussion by the guards on duty, but he walked in as if he knew he was following the rules and no one stopped him or questioned him. Besides, it's not like he could take off his pants. I, too, wore cargo pants as did loads of other people we saw walking around. I highly recommend cargo pants with lots of pockets for your trip! And, while you can't bring bags in, the gift store has no problems selling you gifts and putting them in bags for you. So, then you have a bag.

Archived