why are diapered children banned from pools?

DiploTraveler

Because cruise pools do not have a filtration system set up for this; if someone has an accident, the entire pool has to be drained and cleaned

If you want loads of technical details just google it. Or, if you want to read the probably hundreds of previous discussions about this issue on this forum, use the search function to pull up the many threads.

This never seems to be an issue in land-based pools, so why such a big deal on a cruise ship?

FYI, Diapers are not allowed in any of the pools that I have worked at. It is a big issue when an accident happens. The pool has to be closed and treated. It closes down the pool for at least 30 minutes to an hour every time this happens. This is a big deal when you are a coach and you just lost 30 minutes to an hour of pool time for your swimmers. In addition, the entire swim lesson is lost for kids learning how to swim. Parents and the kids get really upset when this happens.This is posted and inforced at most pools that I am at on land.

Larger pools that do allow "swimmies" can use LOTS of chemicals to disinfect the water....ship's pools are small, and can't discharge all of those chemicals into the sea...so they don't use as much disinfectant as a larger, land-based pool.

However, your diapered one CAN swim at the beaches in the ports you'll visit. All will not be lost!!!

The ships that have small splash areas for those in diapers have very little water and can be drained and cleaned much more easily and quickly than a full size pool, so it is not as big of a problem if there is an issue in these pools.

This never seems to be an issue in land-based pools, so why such a big deal on a cruise ship?

I've been to many land based places that don't allow diapered kids in their pools. There was a problem with a pool in an Atlanta waterpark, I believe, where at least one child died, and many sickened, when feces contamination made these kids very, very ill. I was on board a ship when kids threw human feces into the main pool and it was closed for two days.

FYI, Diapers are not allowed in any of the pools that I have worked at. It is a big issue when an accident happens. The pool has to be closed and treated. It closes down the pool for at least 30 minutes to an hour every time this happens. This is a big deal when you are a coach and you just lost 30 minutes to an hour of pool time for your swimmers. In addition, the entire swim lesson is lost for kids learning how to swim. Parents and the kids get really upset when this happens.This is posted and inforced at most pools that I am at on land.

I haven't been to a land-based pool that doesn't allow "swimmies". In fact, they all provide swim classes to all ages starting at 6 months. I guess there is a lot of variety on this issue?

Anyway, thanks everyone for your responses. I was curious why the ship policies are in such contrast to the local pools in my area.

The ships that have small splash areas for those in diapers have very little water and can be drained and cleaned much more easily and quickly than a full size pool, so it is not as big of a problem if there is an issue in these pools.

Really??? What ships do this? TIA.

Really??? What ships do this? TIA.

Disney ships and RCCL Freedom and Oasis class ships all have a baby splash area. More like little sprinklers with very little standing water. Those only one that have anything for the diapered set.

I wish the cruise lines would be able to treat the pool water with heavy duty chlorine like land-based pools.. but since they DO discharge the water daily, the environmentalists would have a canary over the discharge of those chemicals into the ocean.

Realistically, pools in general are pretty nasty if you think about it.

How many people accidentally spill their beer, pina coladas, and mudslides into the pool on a ship? Walk through a dropped ice cream cone and wash their foot in the pool? Sweat copiously on the deck under the sun and immediately jump into the pool to cool down? Why are the bathrooms on the pool deck rarely used?

Add in the potential for the Huggies Lil'Swimmers Tea after an accidental fecal release from the baby?

Ugh... it's bad enough as it is!

I wish the cruise lines would be able to treat the pool water with heavy duty chlorine like land-based pools.. but since they DO discharge the water daily, the environmentalists would have a canary over the discharge of those chemicals into the ocean.

Realistically, pools in general are pretty nasty if you think about it.

How many people accidentally spill their beer, pina coladas, and mudslides into the pool on a ship? Walk through a dropped ice cream cone and wash their foot in the pool? Sweat copiously on the deck under the sun and immediately jump into the pool to cool down? Why are the bathrooms on the pool deck rarely used?

Add in the potential for the Huggies Lil'Swimmers Tea after an accidental fecal release from the baby?

Ugh... it's bad enough as it is!

Just to add to the mental imagery here...

I personally believe that young potty-trained children have a higher chance of an "accident" contaminating the pool than a double-diapered infant wearing swimmies. Anyway... add them to your list.

Cruise Ships are under the rules of the CDC. And if you want to hear it from the CDC's mouth you can hear it explained here in this podcast...

http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/player.asp?f=315241

The ships that have water play areas that have been "engineered for diapers" are ALL the Disney ships and the RCI ships - Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas and ALLURE of the Seas (left off the podcast because it wasn't built yet when the podcast was created)

Really? Never been in a pool where diapered kids weren't welcome, except on ships.

Most of the pool centers around here offer the tiny tots (starting at 6 mos) swimming lessons.

Just to add to the mental imagery here...

I personally believe that young potty-trained children have a higher chance of an "accident" contaminating the pool than a double-diapered infant wearing swimmies. Anyway... add them to your list.

You still aren't 'getting it'. Think of a diaper, any type, as a tea bag. You are familiar with how a teabag works? It keeps the tea leaves (solids) in, but allows water to circulate through and pick up the essence of the contents and spread it thoughout the water. Swimmie diapers do exactly the same thing. They may keep the solids in, but the 'essence' still circulates throughout the pool. Would you like your child to be playing in that 'essence'? Putting their hands in their mouths...EM

On Mariner of the Seas in July (European cruise), kids in diapers were allowed in the pools. I saw a baby in the pool and asked the pool attendant about it, and he confirmed that babies were indeed allowed. I told him that it was WRITTEN next to the pool that they weren't allowed. He read it and said: "I overrule this rule. Babies in diapers are allowed."

One pool had to be closed for more than a day, due to fecal issues. :eek:

On Mariner of the Seas in July (European cruise), kids in diapers were allowed in the pools. I saw a baby in the pool and asked the pool attendant about it, and he confirmed that babies were indeed allowed. I told him that it was WRITTEN next to the pool that they weren't allowed. He read it and said: "I overrule this rule. Babies in diapers are allowed."

One pool had to be closed for more than a day, due to fecal issues. :eek:

I try not to be too much of a pain, but I would have reported that pool attendent in a heartbeat. He does not have the authority to overrule the rule. I assume, but do not know, that when ships are not cruising from or to any US ports that the CDC regulations do not apply. However, RCI doesn't change the pool restrictions, partly because they know why those rules are in place and partly (I'm guessing) because other countries also have various health and safety regulations. There's no way that the powers that be at the cruise line would say, "Oh what the heck, let's risk contamination and illness--and lawsuits and liability--and ignore sensible precautions." And of course there's the inconvenience to 2000+ other passengers when the filtration system has to be purged and the pool has to be closed for 2 days for draining, cleaning, and refilling due to contamination.

beachchick

You still aren't 'getting it'. Think of a diaper, any type, as a tea bag. You are familiar with how a teabag works? It keeps the tea leaves (solids) in, but allows water to circulate through and pick up the essence of the contents and spread it thoughout the water. Swimmie diapers do exactly the same thing. They may keep the solids in, but the 'essence' still circulates throughout the pool. Would you like your child to be playing in that 'essence'? Putting their hands in their mouths...EM

Yummy...

Really? Never been in a pool where diapered kids weren't welcome, except on ships.

Most of the pool centers around here offer the tiny tots (starting at 6 mos) swimming lessons.

The pool in my community forbids non-trained children in the main pool, they are restricted to the wading pool and must be in swim diapers. If there's an accident in the wading pool it can be drained, cleaned, and refilled in half an hour. The big pool would be down for a full day if not longer.

Ugh, all this talk makes me never want to go in a swimming pool again! I already stay away from hot tubs and health club showers, and I don't really consider myself a germaphobe. I'm sure that people who are immunocompromised in any way should stay out of the pools.

I remember some years ago when my daughter was taking swimming lessons at the local community college. Among the rules given to each parent was that the kids use the restroom facilities before their class.

One day we showed up for her lesson and were told that the pool had to be closed due to "an accident" so the pool could be shocked. We had left before the staff started making phone calls. The end result is that every student was given a credit toward another course and many of us made an unnecessary trip to the school. BTW, this was a competition sized pool so just think of all the water that had to be emptied, fresh water added, and chemicals added.

Archived