Veendam Boarding Sunday in NYC...... 9/11/11

sail7seas

We aren't sailing this weekend but it occured to me alternative travel might be needed.

I'd check, in advance, what public transportation you can use, if necessary. I imagine a taxi will know how to get you there, if necessary.

I have heard nothing from HAL. There will be a frozen zone in place near the WTC, but it shouldn't affect the Manhattan pier, the Lincoln Tunnel, the GW Bridge, or the Midtown Tunnel from Queens.

I wouldn't assume that to be true. With the new threats, they are concerned about the bridges and tunnels and while they may not be a dead zone, traffic will move slowly as they check cars and especially trucks. You need to allow plenty of time.

I have heard nothing from HAL. There will be a frozen zone in place near the WTC, but it shouldn't affect the Manhattan pier, the Lincoln Tunnel, the GW Bridge, or the Midtown Tunnel from Queens.

Since the current "threat" is targeting bridges and tunnels into NYC, most definitely tunnel and bridge traffic will be affected. And, at this very moment they are checking EVERY vehicle (cars as well as trucks) that are entering the Times Square area. Also just heard that they are checking every vehicle coming into the city on the 59th St. bridge.

My advice to people sailing on Sunday - double, if not triple, the time you are giving yourself to get to the pier.

You're quite correct. There is already an increased police and military presence here in Manhattan, and they are checking trucks at the tunnel and bridge entrances. What I meant was that it doesn't look like they will actually be closing the bridges or tunnels. Of course, if anything actually does happen, all bets are off.

Since the current "threat" is targeting bridges and tunnels into NYC, most definitely tunnel and bridge traffic will be affected. And, at this very moment they are checking EVERY vehicle (cars as well as trucks) that are entering the Times Square area. Also just heard that they are checking every vehicle coming into the city on the 59th St. bridge.

My advice to people sailing on Sunday - double, if not triple, the time you are giving yourself to get to the pier.

I am flying into LGA tomorrow and staying near airport Sat pm. What time do you recommend to catch a cab to arrive at pier by 11:30?

According to the news this evening, they were checking all cars going below 59th St. Not necessarily searching all of them, but funneling traffic down to one lane on each southbound avenue. A helicopter reporter said she had never seen backups this long.

Leave lots of extra time, and if your vehicle is stopped for a search, just stay cool. By Sunday, the cops are going to be really tired, so don't ask a lot of questions or be impatient. They aren't enjoying this, either.

Good luck and safe travel to all of you trying to reach the ship.

I am flying into LGA tomorrow and staying near airport Sat pm. What time do you recommend to catch a cab to arrive at pier by 11:30?

You have to cross the East River to get to Manhattan from LGA. Following my previous advice: 8:00 a.m. wouldn't be too early.

Have a great cruise!

You have to cross the East River to get to Manhattan from LGA. Following my previous advice: 8:00 a.m. wouldn't be too early.

Have a great cruise!

Wow really! 3.5 hours to travel 10+ miles! Do the NYC cabs charge by distance or should I expect a huge fare? If so, any estimate considering the extended time in traffic? This is wild! I was thinking a hour instead of less than 30 minutes. Thanks for the info!

Even in light traffic lga to the pier in NYC will take more than 30min. Already they are stopping every car by the Holland and all the streets around Penn Sta. I am on the west side so I cannot see east river crossings. I would leave as early as I could and if you get to the pier early grab some brkfst at a diner or something nearby. Btw they are searching every truck and van so if you have a large group I would split up into several cars

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Having personally seen the traffic nighmare last night, I suggest that if you can, get to the pier as early as possible. Not only are we under a terror threat, but you will also have the additional traffic of people going to attend the ceremonies at the WTC. Better off just waiting at the pier and read a book than stressing in traffic. Hope everyone has a good and safe trip.

Wondering if there will be special security or any change in admittance to the port for Veendam's Sunday embarkation. Has anyone who is booked received any special instructions from HAL?

Not a word from HAL about tomorrow.

My plans would put me at the pier at 10:30-11AM under normal circumstances, so I *should* have plenty of time in case the bridges are super backed up like the Brooklyn Bridge was yesterday. That seems to be the biggest concern.

I'll report back after the cruise, if you're interested in how it went.

Not a word from HAL about tomorrow.

My plans would put me at the pier at 10:30-11AM under normal circumstances, so I *should* have plenty of time in case the bridges are super backed up like the Brooklyn Bridge was yesterday. That seems to be the biggest concern.

I'll report back after the cruise, if you're interested in how it went.

Yes -- we want a full review when you return from your cruise.

I am sure there will be extra security at the pier. It would be a waste of time to have every car open its trunk since there will be multiple suitcases in every car.

When we visited the Veendam last year, we were in the parking deck after the ship departed and we were treated to how the dogs are taught to sniff out any explosives. That would be the only way they could check all the cars. If that does occur, there will be a back up at the pier, so the earlier you arrive, the better.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a diner near the pier.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I am sure there will be extra security at the pier. It would be a waste of time to have every car open its trunk since there will be multiple suitcases in every car.

When we visited the Veendam last year, we were in the parking deck after the ship departed and we were treated to how the dogs are taught to sniff out any explosives. That would be the only way they could check all the cars. If that does occur, there will be a back up at the pier, so the earlier you arrive, the better.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a diner near the pier.

On any "normal" day, the trunk and inside each car is opened and the dog is lead around to sniff, this happens to each and every car which parks at the piers. It may take you longer to get to the pier, since traffic will be very heavy along the West Side Highway because of cars going down to the WTC. The problem that some may encounter is limited parking unless you get there as people are leaving. Both the Miracle and Glory are leaving today and using two of the parking piers plus overflow down the sides of the ramps.

3 1/2 hours to get to the pier tomorrow is not out of the question. Traffic is a nightmare here. One of my friends was spot checked yesterday and his daughters gym equipment was in the back. She has chalk dust for her hands and as soon as they saw the white powder he was handcuffed. As soon as they verified what it was, he was on his way. Security is very tight. Don't forget the Gem is also sailing tomorrow so there will be traffic for her also.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
3 1/2 hours to get to the pier tomorrow is not out of the question. Traffic is a nightmare here. One of my friends was spot checked yesterday and his daughters gym equipment was in the back. She has chalk dust for her hands and as soon as they saw the white powder he was handcuffed. As soon as they verified what it was, he was on his way. Security is very tight. Don't forget the Gem is also sailing tomorrow so there will be traffic for her also.

Not just the Gem. Also AIDAaura & Miracle

No correction needed. There's no food available on the pier. Maybe a snack counter, but I don't know if that's there any more. And it's an awkward walk from the pier over to anyplace where you might grab food to take back. And you've got your carryon luggate to think about. And another security check when you return to the pier.

Eat a good breakfast before setting out, and don't plan on eating again until you board. Hey, it's a cruise, you can make up for skipping one lunch. ;)

I don't think they'll check cars with arriving passengers, as luggage that is taken from cars will be x-rayed and sniffed anyhow. Expect more security keeping an eye on the unloading process. And I wouldn't be surprised to see fewer cars allowed onto the access ramps at any time, to reduce the chaos that would make supervision difficult.

One suggestion for making it easier to get onto the pier once you're near it--have your cruise docs handy in case the police are checking to make sure you're really booked on a cruise. I don't think we've had to show docs at the ramp in NYC, but I'm not sure. I know that we have shown docs when driving onto other ports.

Archived