Bringing box wine

alli

Two bottles of wine per stateroom at embarkation. No corksge if you open and enjoy them in your stateroom. 25$ corkscrew if taken to a dining room or specialty restaurant.

I solve the corkage fee issue by bringing on bottles with twist tops. Perhaps they don't rival a $50 bottle, but I enjoy them. The rule has been two 750 ml bottles, nothing larger.:p

I solve the corkage fee issue by bringing on bottles with twist tops. Perhaps they don't rival a $50 bottle, but I enjoy them. The rule has been two 750 ml bottles, nothing larger.:p

i hope I'm dining near you in the MDR when you try to pull that one off. A good argument during dinner seems to enhance the experience for some but I just enjoy the entertainment of watching someone else try to cheap out.

Jake

I was on the century this summer. I found them to be pretty relaxed. I brought on a bottle of tequila in my suitcase... was surprised to still see it in my luggage when i got to my room. Each of my other family members brought 2 bottles of wine per person... not per room some were the larger bottles and they all got there on board fine. At ports i heard that a bottle of wine or a 6 pack of beer was allowed to be on. We did buy some coolers and a bottle of wine but we hid it in back packs and purses just in case... not very well but thought we'd attempt to just in case and we got them all on perfectly fine. I also bought some liquor from the duty free on board and didn't get them until the night before we disembarked.

I don't know if my family was just lucky, or if century cruises are more relaxed... or perhaps Alaska cruises are more relaxed? i don't know. This was my first cruise so i can't really say from any other experiences.

Also i'd like to add that with all that being said my family still did order drinks on board. I'm not trying to say we're alcoholics(we're really not) i'm just saying we're not completely cheap people.

I will start this post by saying that I don't need a lecture about the ethics of bringing your own liquor on board nor do I need a wine expert telling me that box wines are so Walmart.

We plan on bringing two bottles of wine in our carryon luggage. Does anyone have any experience with bringing boxed wine onboard in your checked luggage?

You sound like our kinds of wine drinkers...last April on the Summit my DH and I each had a bottle in our carry on luggage and I had a very good box of Washington wine in my checked luggage. All made it safely onboard. Donna

Corkage Fee has nothing to do with whether or not your bottle has a cork or screw cap...it's the traditional name of the fee that restaurants charge will you if they allow you to bring your own wine....and traditionally a patron bringing their own bottle should be bringing a special bottle that is not on the restaurants own wine list. And if it is really special you might offer a class to either the chef, maitre D or sommelier.

And yes there are expensive bottles of wine with screw tops, most always white wines or reds that have little time in the barrel.

Donna

Strange that no one is challenging the cruise lines:

Cruise lines describe themselves as floating resorts....Landbased resorts do not search your luggage.

I agree if your bring your own wine to the dining room, a corkage charge is fair. But consuming the same bottle on your balcony is an entirely another thing....

Tip: In a lot of cruise ports your carry-ons are checked by local authoraties, who only search for weapons etc. and can care less about booze. Keep your eyes open when you disembark...if the X-ray machine on board is not in place and operational at that moment, neither will it when your board again.

If you enjoy the entertainment onboard, don't be cheap and buy a drink, after all good entertainment is a big expense for the cruise line.

Salut

"I agree if your bring your own wine to the dining room, a corkage charge is fair. But consuming the same bottle on your balcony is an entirely another thing...."

And no corkage is charged for wine consumed in your stateroom

"Tip: In a lot of cruise ports your carry-ons are checked by local authoraties, who only search for weapons etc. and can care less about booze. Keep your eyes open when you disembark...if the X-ray machine on board is not in place and operational at that moment, neither will it when your board again."

This may be so on other lines, but on Celebrity, the x-ray machine is inside the ship, is operated by Celebrity personnel, and is always in place for guests coming back from shore.

It all depends on which port: i.e. Malaga, Barcelona, Athens etc you will not be double checked by the cruise crew. www.whatsinport.com gives good details by destination.

One final comment on this issue: If your cruise line confiscates a few bottles of sodas or a few beers, they should not be in the cruise business...

If you want to carry on cases of beer or sodas, you should not be on a cruise.

Moderation is the key word here.

I've brought a box wine on a cruise several times. It's not rocket science, but it does take a bit of risk:

-Take the bag out of the box;

-Put the bag into a Ziploc freezer bag (it should just fit);

-Pack it into your luggage, somewhere in the middle of your clothes;

-Unpack and enjoy!

I know it sounds risky to pack a bag of wine in with your clothes, but I've done it several times and so far, so good. I'm not sure I would do it before boarding a plane though. Since we live near FLL and MIA, we pack and drive to the port. I've never tried packing the wine for a flight. The way they treat luggage on planes, I'm not sure I would risk that, but packing it into your luggage before you board? No problem for us.

I have brought box wine onboard X as well as Princess several times. Could I ask why you take it out of the box? Doesn't it become difficult to pour & store? I always double bag the box in my checked bag. However, the weight is a major factor nowadays. If wine is available to purchase where I board, I would prefer that. I also frequently bring onboard a couple bottles of local beer in ports & never had a problem with that.

I have brought box wine onboard X as well as Princess several times. Could I ask why you take it out of the box? Doesn't it become difficult to pour & store? I always double bag the box in my checked bag. However, the weight is a major factor nowadays. If wine is available to purchase where I board, I would prefer that. I also frequently bring onboard a couple bottles of local beer in ports & never had a problem with that.

I also take it out of the box. It fits into the luggage much easier and when it goes into the refrig on board,

it molds itself to its surroundings, fitting much easier there too. And it pours fine without the box.

I was not aware that Celebrity allowed you to bring wine onboard. Question; if you bring two bottles when you board, can you bring another two bottles onboard when you stop at a port?

The official answer is that you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board PER STATEROOM when you first board the ship. Anything more than that can be confiscated (and very rarely destroyed/lost). You are not permitted to bring any additional wine or liquor on board at any of the stops...it will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

There are a number of threads here that will give you the unofficial reality of how this policy does or doesn't work.

The official answer is that you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board PER STATEROOM when you first board the ship. Anything more than that can be confiscated (and very rarely destroyed/lost). You are not permitted to bring any additional wine or liquor on board at any of the stops...it will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

There are a number of threads here that will give you the unofficial reality of how this policy does or doesn't work.

Thanks. I should have thought about doing a search.

Archived