Remembering 9-11

Orator

I just read on another thread of a cruiser who wants to abandon her Summit cruise since she is scheduled to fly into New York on 9-11. As we complain about our dessert in Blu, or the cost of a Speciality restaurant or dozens of other things that annoy us, we should take some time to remember what is really important. We should pause to remember all those innocent lives lost on that horrible day. G-d Bless America!!

Unfortunately, 9-11 is DH's birthday :( and this one will be tough to get through. I am surprising him by taking him to the Dodger/Giants game which hopefully will be somewhat cheery, and then a night in a nice Nob Hill hotel. But we will be mindful of what is going on elsewhere in the country and that always has a sobering effect on his special day, which he is very grateful to be alive for, considering the alternative. Those who gave their lives or their loved ones are never far from our thoughts on the day.

As the proud sister of a brother who has done 8 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, I am thankful for those who lay their lives on the line for us every day. Soldiers, policemen, firemen, security guards, first responders..thank you and God Bless America.

Carole

There is a message going around on Facebook that the police,fire department and other first responders were not invited to the 10 year rememberance at Ground 0 because of all the politicians going. Disgusting if true.:mad: That's strange because they were not invited on 9-11 but showed up anyway.:(

I suppose everybody knows where one was at this tragic, sad and world changeing day. I also know where I was at the first anniversary- on board Brilliance of the Seas in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. At 9/11 they held a memorial service in the theater, which I will never ever forget. Two songs of this particular service stayed in my memory- " How great thou art" and Lady Liberty- the later I never was able to find on CD neither did I hear it ever again. After that the whole ship gathered for a miniute of silence. The silence alone gave one shivers down ones spine!

To my many many american friends I found over the years on board X or RCI ships!

Michael

I was in the air flying from Pittsburgh to Ft Lauderdale. Grounded in Greensboro for three days. One of the flight attendents was from the area and I was told that this was to be her last flight before she retired. Her husband was a pilot, but fortunately not flying that day. A college friend called me later and told me that the front of the plane that hit Tower 2 struck his brother's office. For the first time in many years his brother decided to stay home that day. Thank you to all who served and are presently serving.

Thanks to everyone for remembering the 9-11 victims and their families. We lost our brother-in-law in Tower 2 that day - Michael Stabile went to work as he did every day and never came home. The lives of his family were changed forever.

My daughter-in-law is in the Maryland National Guard and is preparing to deploy to Iraq for a year. God bless her and all the brave men and women who protect us.

Marianne

Thanks to everyone for remembering the 9-11 victims and their families. We lost our brother-in-law in Tower 2 that day - Michael Stabile went to work as he did every day and never came home. The lives of his family were changed forever.

My daughter-in-law is in the Maryland National Guard and is preparing to deploy to Iraq for a year. God bless her and all the brave men and women who protect us.

Marianne

Marianne,

Thank you for reminding us of those that lost their lives on 9/11. My son lost 2 friends from college that day and it was a major factor in why he chose to join the National Guard. He is a veteran of both the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts and is gearing up for a second tour of duty in Afghanistan. But I will say that his family ... his wife and two children are the ones who make the biggest sacrifice. So to all families who support those who serve our country.. I thank you and salute you for your sacrifices.

Here in the UK we have been remembering 9/11 all weeks. I have found the most moving commemorations the 9/11 Letters on Radio 4. You may like to listen to them whilst they are still available [the first will start disappearing in 3 days]. Just click on "listen again":

Sue

God Bless everyone, and especially for the first responders who are now suffering from cancer and other maladies due to their efforts to rescue survivors. Unfortunately, our government has seen fit not to include cancer as a part of survivor benefits.

There were so many lives lost and countless lives impacted by that horrific day. Here is a story of one man who saved thousands. He is a hero, as are all those who sacrificed their lives going into the Towers on their rescue missions. I know that we were all changed by the events of that day. It is hard to see the footage and read the stories, but their importance is no less diminished by the passing of time, and will always be remembered.

CruiserSusie, That was a very nice story to read about Rick Rescorla, thank you for sharing. I recorded Tom Brokaw's special on Dateline last night. I just finished watching it. I thought it was very well done. It brought back a flood of emotions. There were so many brave and heroic people that day, and for all the days after, even up to the present. We will never forget, and I never tire of hearing the stories connected to those tragic events of 9/11.

Didn't you mean God Bless America? We can still say that, can't we, or is that like "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

Out of reverence for the name of God, many Jewish people do not write or speak the word. Jewish law prohibits erasing or defacing the name of God, and observant Jewish people will use G-D or G!D and will not use any name of God casually for that reason.

Out of reverence for the name of God, many Jewish people do not write or speak the word. Jewish law prohibits erasing or defacing the name of God, and observant Jewish people will use G-D or G!D and will not use any name of God casually for that reason.

Thank you. That was my reason.

Archived