Any cheaper options for tours in Rome?

DD99

Nothing is going to be cheap in Rome, or Europe for that matter. Check out the ship's tours, then maybe go to viator dot com and see what they offer. There is always the private tours, with 6 it should save money over the ship's tours. If you do a search on this board, there are two private companies that get high recommendations.

We did the HO HO bus with a 2 day pass. Splitting the city into Northern and Southern Sections. If you are there for just one day, you will be limited in what you can see and do.

Europe is expensive and Rome/Italy right up there at the top.

6 people, doesn't matter what ship / cruiseline you take you are likely looking at close to 500 bucks total just for the most basic of things.

IMHO PRIVATE is the way to go. You get a private pickup and curbside drop off at every place. A better private will reserve tickets / guides if you like ( those are additional costs ). No question private is the best value both time and $, but you can spend less and get a lot less experience, and spend more going cruiseline and get less experience. Most private tours charge by the vehicle and 6 is perfect, runs likely 500-600 euros for most private drivers for a day.

Now you can also get a great experience DIY, take the train and metro once in Rome. Requires a little more transportation research and a enjoyment of doing it yourself, but instead of hundred+ euros per person more like 40-50 euros or less total. You got to aks, why did I spend thousand for the cabin and airfare to only save 100 euros when in Rome ?

Are there any cheaper tour options in Rome? There is a group of 6 people.

When you write "tour" are you asking about the services of a licensed guide or are you asking about less expensive ways to move from port to Rome and than between sites than a limo service? Two very different answers depending on the question.

It's the driver and the transportation to/from Civitavecchia that's going to be expensive. Don't know of any options that include the pickup/dropoff in Civitavecchia that will be much cheaper.

If you're willing to take public transportation and pick up a tour in Rome, costs per person can drop dramatically.

Only thing I am finding on these boards is RIL, anyone use anyone else? Trying to cost compare. I am okay with just a driver. Looking to see if anything less than 550eu for 6.

You might check out http://www.shareashoreexcursioninitaly.com. With 6 it would be 95 euro each but car holds 8; and if two more join you, it would be 75 euro each. Reviews on triip advisor are very good.

The least expensive option for seeing Rome (or most places) is to simply do it yourself. I know it sounds difficult, but with a little time on the internet and perhaps a look at a few tour books you would be good to go. Keep in mind thats is relatviely easy to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and you can even purchase a BIRG Ticket for about 9 Euros which covers your round trip regional train to Rome plus all days use of Rome's Metro and buses. So, having spent about $12 per person you have already covered all of your transportation. Rome has an excellent public transit system, and with a little use of the fast Metro or slower buses coupled with your feet you can go anywhere and do just about anything.

Hank

OP, I am not sure what you are asking for here. There are two components to "tours" that people refer to here on Cruise Critic.

Civitavecchia is a good distance from Rome and takes about 75-80 minutes. So, part of what some consider tours to be is that 3 hours getting to Rome and back to the ship. The other component is the tour itself as well as your driver's time, if you are going to use a "driver guide". That is why the costs seem so high. The driver guides, themselves, are LICENSED tour guides and many don't realize that until after their tours are long over. These gentlemen and ladies are licensed limousine dirvers or chauffeurs. The good ones will provide you with information and commentary about attractions and sites that will drop you off at where you walk on your own.

If you want a real tour and walk with a licensed guide at the attractions in Rome (including Colloseum/Forums or Vatican), there are fairly inexpensive walking tour with reputable companies available. We bought the BIRG train ticket at 9 euros per person and then spent 30 euros per person on a 2.5 hour walking tour (25 for students and free for those under 12) for the Colloseum and Forums with Roman Candle Tours. We met them right at Trajan's Column. They limit their tours to ten people and that really makes for a great tour. After the tour, we got lunch and saw other highlights of Rome on our own, including Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and Spanish Steps. I think there is value to walking tours with professional guides, especially for first timers.

Only thing I am finding on these boards is RIL, anyone use anyone else? Trying to cost compare. I am okay with just a driver. Looking to see if anything less than 550eu for 6.

I have to agree with the previous posters. Nothing in Italy is going to be cheap. We have a group going in May and there are a few ladies on a budget. I told them they should really factor in tours for Rome, Naples and Sicily. Go on a budget on other ports. BUT... to visit Rome for the first time and not get some type of tour is crazy to me. Our tours with Romeinlimo were priceless. Yes, it's expensive. But, under 100e each for a full day with a local professional. That is cheaper than you'll get with any full day ship tour. By far! And soooo amazing!

The other component is the tour itself as well as your driver's time, if you are going to use a "driver guide". That is why the costs seem so high. The driver guides, themselves, are LICENSED tour guides and many don't realize that until after their tours are long over. These gentlemen and ladies are licensed limousine dirvers or chauffeurs. The good ones will provide you with information and commentary about attractions and sites that will drop you off at where you walk on your own.

Drivers are licensed as drivers, not tour guides. Two completely different licenses. The driver may know a lot and share that knowledge, but they are not licensed guides.

i took the express train to rome from the port. it left at 9:30 and got in to san pietro station at 10:05. super easy breezy. the return train leaves at 4:40 and gets you in at 5:20. we bought tix online at smartcruisetours.com. we picked up our tix at a booth right next to the train station.

i found a company that uses golf carts to zip you around rome. DEFINITELY THE BEST WAY TO GET AROUND! we saw EVERYTHING! he literally drove us to the doorstep of each attraction. this was the most fun and relaxing tour. better than being cooped up in a bus with a ton of other people. while everyone on the hoho bus looked exhausted, we were having tons of fun! check them out if you are considering a private tour. our driver was roberto and he was absolutely charming. very knowledgeable and very funny. he brought us to a neighborhood gelato place away from the tourist traps which was absolutely delicious. he also bought us pizza as we were shopping to save us time. we were so sad when he dropped us off at the train station. definitely check them out if you are researching tours. they also have a limo golf cart that is bigger than the standard size if you have a larger party.

the tour was of great value. we will definitely use them the next time we are in rome.

http://golf-cart-tour-rome.com/index.htm

i found a company that uses golf carts to zip you around rome. DEFINITELY THE BEST WAY TO GET AROUND! we saw EVERYTHING! he literally drove us to the doorstep of each attraction. this was the most fun and relaxing tour. better than being cooped up in a bus with a ton of other people. while everyone on the hoho bus looked exhausted, we were having tons of fun!

That's interesting, I haven't heard of this before, nor have I seen them operating in Rome. They must run along the streets ... did you ever feel uncomfortable in the traffic? I know someone with a bad knee who will be in Rome for several days soon, this might be an option for them.

That golf card thing does sound like a lot of fun. Personally, we love to just walk around Rome (being on foot lets us stick our head in lots of shops, read cafe menus, sample lots of gelato, etc) but those golf carts sure sound like a terrific option for those with physical limitations.

Hank

This website is sooooo great !

This is something I havent seen either but such a great asset for those who need help getting around or just for those who want to "take it easy". We also love to walk, but would consider this for one day where we want to cover alot of ground and save our feet ;) Of course I just printed out the home page for future reference !

Drivers are licensed as drivers, not tour guides. Two completely different licenses. The driver may know a lot and share that knowledge, but they are not licensed guides.

Thank you for that catch. I meant to say NOT tour guides and that is why they drop their passengers off at stops. The good ones will speak english very well, will engage their passengers, and have a good basic working knowledge of Rome. We used one in 2010. But as I wrote earlier, these services such as Rome in Limo, Rome Cabs, Miles & Miles, etc, should not be considered as anything on par with what you will get with a real tour guide. The driver guide companies will provide licensed guides on request and it will cost you another arm and a leg.

In contrast, a good walking tour with a professional guide with a company that limits its groups to 10-12 people is a great way to see Ancient Rome or the Vatican. All of that can be supplemented with an afternoon on your own enjoying Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and (for tourists) Spanish Steps.

There is a group of 5 of us doing a Vatican tour with a private guide. She charges 50 euros per hour (total), and the tour is about 3 hours.

From what I have read around different sites, this seems to be about the average cost.

Doing a search here and on Tripadvisor should get you names. I don't know if I can give that info.

That's interesting, I haven't heard of this before, nor have I seen them operating in Rome. They must run along the streets ... did you ever feel uncomfortable in the traffic? I know someone with a bad knee who will be in Rome for several days soon, this might be an option for them.

we never felt uncomfortable in traffic. we were on side streets most of the time away from the madness. we love walking but it was FABULOUS not getting tired in the heat. it was a pleasure not waiting in long lines and fighting others to get on the bus. when i was researching walking tours, i stumbled upon their website and i'm glad i did!

http://golf-cart-tour-rome.com/faq.htm

my contact was paolo and my driver was roberto. they provided excellent customer service. i highly recommend them for people with mobility issues, people with kids and anyone who wants to have a fun & memorable tour. i've told all my friends about it and they think it's a hoot. the customer testimonials on their website doesn't do it justice. we had a blast. we are still teary eyed about missing rome and roberto. *sigh*

That golf card thing does sound like a lot of fun. Personally, we love to just walk around Rome (being on foot lets us stick our head in lots of shops, read cafe menus, sample lots of gelato, etc) but those golf carts sure sound like a terrific option for those with physical limitations.

Hank

the golf cart tour company we used was great. we would do the "STOP HERE! we wanna check out that shop!" and he would park the cart and we'd jump out, take a look, then jump back in. the glorious thing about the cart is he didn't have to look for a car parking spot to drop us off. he would just drive right up to the stores and park next to the building. could not have asked for more! he let us spend as much time as we needed in each spot. we never felt rushed. next time we are hiring them to take us on an eating tour! check them out. they are at http://golf-cart-tour-rome.com/faq.htm

Why not get a good guide book (I like "Let's Go" or Knopf Guides) and plot out what u would like to do yourelf. I didn't read that u were going 2 B there 4 the day or for a couple of days....Rome is very e-z to navigate around by yourselt or to walk....

Would you be talking about the Borghese ? I didn't see any golf carts around ROme (they'd be run over), but in the Park, we saw golf carts.....

We used Your Tour In Italy, and they were absolutely fabulous. We used them for Rome and again in Naples where we went to the Amalfi coast, Sorrento, Positano and Pompeii. You really can't go wrong with a private company. With 6 people, you would save $$ over the ship's tours and you can tailor the tour to see only what you want to and control how much time you spend at each site.

You might check out www.shareashoreexcursioninitaly.com. With 6 it would be 95 euro each but car holds 8; and if two more join you, it would be 75 euro each. Reviews on triip advisor are very good.

They appear to be booked on the web-site, i emailed them to confirm.

Any other reccomendations?

I am looking for a driver to take us to the sites. I am not sure i would know how to go on my own.

Archived