Sailing into San Juan

Chicago Boy

Yes - You'll be in right in old San Juan for a port stop. The walk is uphill but not had, and it's mostly downhill on the way back. I think it is about mile. maybe less, and very scenic so it is a nice walk. I have no problem walking around Old San Juan. Like other cities you need to be alert to people taking advantage of tourists. Only thing I've ever heard of is a panhandler who frequents the cruise ship part of town and presents a con job explaining that he was mugged and needs cash for a taxi back to his hotel or some other similar nonsense. Lots of people have had this guy approach them over the years with the same story.

I recommend walking the ocean view walk. Turn left when you leave the ship. You'll pass a tourist info booth then the street turns into a pretty pedestrian boulevard. It passes a fountain then continues along the water outside of the old city walls. You'll go through the old gate to the city and walk up the the old cathedral, and turn left and your half way up the hill to the fort already. Adds an extra half mile to the walk to the fort but it is very scenic along this route. Caution - along the ocean walk it looks like you can walk up to the fort but I don't think there is an entrance from the path ahead you'll see. (click the underlined links above for photos)

You can walk from the OSJ pier to the fort but it is uphill. There have been shuttles in the past but I haven't been there in almost two years. If I was with you I'd encourage you to take a shuttle up and walk down. You will want to climb the ramparts too so save yourself. It gets hot in San Juan most of the year and the hike up can get tiring.

The streets are narrow with cobbles on some of the oldest streets so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.

Take your camera!

We are doing the 7 night Caribbean cruise from Miami to San Juan, St Maarten and St. Kitts. Sailing dates Dec. 3rd thru the 10th. My question is, can we walk from the pier to the Fort and is it safe to do so? Thanks for the info.:)
Yes, you can walk from the pier to both forts and it is safe to do so. However, doing that requires walking uphill.

Being (ahem, cough - cough) more mature and somewhat uphill-challenged ourselves, we prefer to ride the free trolley up to the forts and walk back downhill instead.

If interested in doing it that way, here is a site with the descriptions of the trolley routes and maps.

Hop Aboard the Free Trolley in Old San Juan

The El Morro route will take you to both Fort San Cristobal and El Morro.

Or for a longer ride that includes the shopping area of the city as well, take the City Hall / El Morro route.

It's walkable (as long as you don't have mobility issues) and safe. We've done it several times and San Juan is one of my favorite ports stops because it's so different from the other islands. The old town area is historic and interesting.

There's a Segway tour that includes El Morro. It's a lot of fun and makes that uphill part very easy.

We were there last February and have seen the shuttle. But the shuttle stop is on the other side of the street around a corner. Sorry, I don't remember quite right, but we asked for the shuttle stop and took the shuttle.

There is a free hop on-hop off that will stop at the major sites. There are two stops very close to where the ship is docked. One is to the right across the street at the corner. The other is to your left outside the ferry port. Make sure you get on the train type tram. The bus only does an inner city loop. You could walk back if you wish (it's a downhill walk) or just reboard the tram.

Hey Chicago Boy, we are on the cruise right after you. We visited SJ last December prior to our Summit sailing and were glad we had time to explore this beautiful city. We plan to visit El Morro again this year. It is walkable, I don't remember it being too hilly honestly. Just start out as soon as you dock as it closes fairly early and I wouldn't want to be out there after dark.

If you want a great mojitos, go to the Parrot Club or get tapas and sangrias at el Picoteo in el Convento hotel.

<a href=http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/48586/2047201890104945102S600x600Q85.jpg' alt='2047201890104945102S600x600Q85.jpg'>

2595495440104945102S500x500Q85.jpg

We did it with no issues--and as we were leaving the shuttle came by so we hopped on to take a little tour on our way back to the ship. It IS uphill but a gentle slope; I guess it just depends on your level of fitness. DH and I are 62 and 58, out of shape, and we did it easily, if that gives you any idea.

Yes, you can walk from the pier to both forts and it is safe to do so. However, doing that requires walking uphill.

Being (ahem, cough - cough) more mature and somewhat uphill-challenged ourselves, we prefer to ride the free trolley up to the forts and walk back downhill instead.

If interested in doing it that way, here is a site with the descriptions of the trolley routes and maps.

Hop Aboard the Free Trolley in Old San Juan

The El Morro route will take you to both Fort San Cristobal and El Morro.

Or for a longer ride that includes the shopping area of the city as well, take the City Hall / El Morro route.

Thanks for the link to that site. It is just what i was looking for before our visit. Thanks,

Enjoy your walk. My suggestion is to go to the San Cristobal fort first, then along the sea wall to El Morro, and then wind your way down. I think there are suggested itinerary maps at the tourist station at the port, but Frommer's has one too. Perfectly safe to wander around.

If you are a senior and have the National Parks senior pass, it is good at the forts.

While walking, you will see several types of vending carts. One will sell coconut ice cream (helado de coco). You gotta have some! Also try the snow cones (piraguas). Frambuesa (strawberry) is particularly good.

Be sure to be on deck as you sail out of PR as the view of the fort is stunning.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Yes - You'll be in right in old San Juan for a port stop. The walk is uphill but not had, and it's mostly downhill on the way back. I think it is about mile. maybe less, and very scenic so it is a nice walk. I have no problem walking around Old San Juan. Like other cities you need to be alert to people taking advantage of tourists. Only thing I've ever heard of is a panhandler who frequents the cruise ship part of town and presents a con job explaining that he was mugged and needs cash for a taxi back to his hotel or some other similar nonsense. Lots of people have had this guy approach them over the years with the same story.

Jjajajajajajaja, sounds exactly like my Puerto Rico. If you have expirience this, you already know what is like to live here everyday. Those people is what we call on the island "tecatos". People who make up any kind of crapy story just to ask people for money so they can get a fix on whatever drug they're using. Please, do not give money to these people. Just tell them "no tengo efectivo encima" thats spanish for "i dont have cash on me".

The uphill road to both forts (San Cristobal and San Felipe del Morro)it's not that hard, unless is in the middle of summer that the island turns hotter than hell, (the hot season is from March through october, yes basically the whole year and i'm not kidding) the humidity is the problem. It's not like in december is cold jajaja, it's just that the temperature is not so unbearable. Most of the time on december rains a lot. As the others have stated the walk back to the pier is all downhill. I recomend you go first to Fort San Cristobal and then follow the road west to El Morro. Wear confortable shoes. My recomendation is try not to be on the city once the sun is setting. Its not like Old San Juan is gonna transform into Dracula's Transylvania or something like that, it';s just that it's kind of dangerous. My strong recomendation.

Oh, and to everyone, if you would like to try "REAL" Puertorican food and really good, I really recomend you guys go to "Raices Restaurant". It's really really good and it's close to the pier. Ask around for directions. Behind the Sheraton there are two big "multi floor car parking buildings". Its in front of those "parkings".

Hope this helps.

Jjajajajajajaja, sounds exactly like my Puerto Rico. If you have expirience this, you already know what is like to live here everyday. Those people is what we call on the island "tecatos". People who make up any kind of crapy story just to ask people for money so they can get a fix on whatever drug they're using. Please, do not give money to these people. Just tell them "no tengo efectivo encima" thats spanish for "i dont have cash on me".

The uphill road to both forts (San Cristobal and San Felipe del Morro)it's not that hard, unless is in the middle of summer that the island turns hotter than hell, (the hot season is from March through october, yes basically the whole year and i'm not kidding) the humidity is the problem. It's not like in december is cold jajaja, it's just that the temperature is not so unbearable. Most of the time on december rains a lot. As the others have stated the walk back to the pier is all downhill. I recomend you go first to Fort San Cristobal and then follow the road west to El Morro. Wear confortable shoes. My recomendation is try not to be on the city once the sun is setting. Its not like Old San Juan is gonna transform into Dracula's Transylvania or something like that, it';s just that it's kind of dangerous. My strong recomendation.

Oh, and to everyone, if you would like to try "REAL" Puertorican food and really good, I really recomend you guys go to "Raices Restaurant". It's really really good and it's close to the pier. Ask around for directions. Behind the Sheraton there are two big "multi floor car parking buildings". Its in front of those "parkings".

Hope this helps.

Buenos Dias (is that correct?)....we're arriving in SJ late afternoon and want to experience the old city after dinner. We have until approx 10pm so would like to see a floor show or something that is P Rican. Any suggestions? You say not to walk in the city after dark, but that's when the stop allows us to see the city. We've been in PR quite a few times and haven't had any problems after the sun sets, but we've only walked around the pier.

Buenos Dias (is that correct?)....we're arriving in SJ late afternoon and want to experience the old city after dinner. We have until approx 10pm so would like to see a floor show or something that is P Rican. Any suggestions? You say not to walk in the city after dark, but that's when the stop allows us to see the city. We've been in PR quite a few times and haven't had any problems after the sun sets, but we've only walked around the pier.

Buenos dias y bienvenidos a San Juan. Um, your not gonna find any type of shows per se during week days. The best you can hope for is go to one of the bars at the local restaurants that puertorricans tend to visit after they get out of work to drink (yes, we drink a lot jaja). One that comes to mind that gets very crowded is "Señor Frogs", and you can have a good time there. Is not like Old San Juan is gonna turn into a war zone after dark, dont get me wrong. It's just that sometimes after dark some paths can get a little dangerous, but don't worry, as long as you stay on the wide open more illuminated roads your fine.

"Que tengan una muy agradable tarde en el Viejo San Juan." Do have a very pleasant evening at Old San Juan.

Hope this helps.

Great restaurant. We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights prior to our cruise last November, & found Raices by chance & ate there twice! Great food with friendly people. In fact, on our 1st visit there were 4 local women sitting next to us, & hearing us say that we couldn't decide, told us of the best selections, which were fantastic. Another great place, for breakfast, was La Bombonera's. Again, we sat at the counter & the man next to us told us that we should not eat there without trying the mallorcas. We wound up eating breakfast there every morning.

To the OP, Old San Juan is an easy area to walk, & I agree with others, if you don't want the hike up, just take one of the free shuttles.

Great restaurant. We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights prior to our cruise last November, & found Raices by chance & ate there twice! Great food with friendly people. In fact, on our 1st visit there were 4 local women sitting next to us, & hearing us say that we couldn't decide, told us of the best selections, which were fantastic. Another great place, for breakfast, was La Bombonera's. Again, we sat at the counter & the man next to us told us that we should not eat there without trying the mallorcas. We wound up eating breakfast there every morning.

Ohhhhhhhh, Las Mallorcas en La Bombonera are amazing. I hope you tried "Mofongos" at Raices. If not, try it next time.

And for those who are coming to San Juan today, it's really raining. and it's gonna continue like this the rest of the day.

Archived