HC food temperatures

socaljo

Had a thought regarding all the complaints about the food not being hot enough from the buffet. It seems that by the time you get your food, find a table, get drinks ordered and commence eating, enough time has lapsed to cool the food too much. Wonder if they could offer those domed plate covers???

Had a thought regarding all the complaints about the food not being hot enough from the buffet. It seems that by the time you get your food, find a table, get drinks ordered and commence eating, enough time has lapsed to cool the food too much. Wonder if they could offer those domed plate covers???

I don't have a problem getting hot food and keeping it hot from the HC. We get a table FIRST, then take turns getting our food, get any cold choices first, then the hot choices & back to the table. It always amazes us when we eat at the HC, the people that rush up to get food and then stand there looking for a table with food in hand. No wonder their food is cold!:confused:

I don't have a problem getting hot food and keeping it hot from the HC. We get a table FIRST, then take turns getting our food, get any cold choices first, then the hot choices & back to the table. It always amazes us when we eat at the HC, the people that rush up to get food and then stand there looking for a table with food in hand. No wonder their food is cold!:confused:

Not so easy to do when you travel alone, as I do :)

Just a different perspective on this............:)

I think this is the main reason we hear so many complaints about the food not being hot enough at the buffet. It isn't that the food isn't hot enough, but if you have watched (as I have), many will fill their plates with hot food and then take one more walk through the buffet to see if there is anything else they want. Even if they have a table already, by the time they stop for a few little things (such as rolls and butter) after they have filled their plates, and made their way to the table, of course the food is not going to be as hot as if they were to take those hot items they wanted and immediately sit down.

They did away with trays a long time ago to save on dishwashing and spreading germs onboard. Plate covers would be no different. If you really want to keep things warm, either sit down immediately, or put another plate on top of your food to carry it to your table.

Each time I read where someone has another complaint about the food not being hot enough (different subject I know), I always shake my head and think "take a little responsibility yourself". It's a buffet, and as with any buffet anywhere, if you walk around with your plate full of food, that plate is not heated, that food is going to get cold if you don't eat it immediately.

With what Toto stated in mind, I decided to try and eat my hot items as soon as I put them on my plate. After getting the items, I went to the lido deck and was always able to find a table right away. I tried this several times but always found the food was nowhere near hot enough for my liking.....:(:(:(

Bob

Not so easy to do when you travel alone, as I do :)

Just a different perspective on this............:)

It's not hard. Try leaving a towel, jacket, book or eyeglass case on the table & it'll be waiting for you when you leave the food area. No roaming required to find a seat and no one ever sits at the table either.

With what Toto stated in mind, I decided to try and eat my hot items as soon as I put them on my plate. After getting the items, I went to the lido deck and was always able to find a table right away. I tried this several times but always found the food was nowhere near hot enough for my liking.....:(:(:(

Bob

Bob, my hubby feels the same way, but he finds the food served in the dining room not hot enough for him either. So, either place does not offer food 'right off the stove hot' as he enjoys it the most, just like with most restaurants we visit except those with a sizzling steak plate. ;)

Next time you eat breakfast or dinner at home. Fix your plate, and carry it the length of your house (depending on the size of your house of course) twice, then sit down and eat it. It in no way will be as hot as if you fix your plate and go directly to your table 10 steps away. Plus, at home your food is usually all in one place and you don't have to walk along a buffet line getting what you want from station to station. lol

sometimes its a loose loose situation for cruise line some folks like their food red hot others just hot.

we always sit and take it in turns when in the h.c food is always hot enough to enjoy.

if out in lido we always try to keep hot and cold apart .

theres no reason for single cruisers to loose out on a table just leave something on the top or chair folks wont move it

To ensure food quality, food on a buffet should be held at about 120-130 depending on the item (soups and sauces can be higher). Once removed from the heat source, food loses temperature at up to a rate of 1 degree per 30 seconds depending on ambient conditions (this rate decreases as you approach room temperature of course).

Standing with your plate out for 5 minutes after taking hot food can drop the temp by 10 degrees easily.

The approach many use here, getting hot and cold items, is the recommended one for food sanitation (also recommended, using a separate plate for hot and cold items, especially items with sauces, gravies or dressings)

My solution to this is to get to the HC at the session start time when all tables are empty, choose a continental breakfast or salad for lunch or eat in the dining room.

I find some people stay at their tables far too long, chatting and sipping on their 3rd cup of whatever. A little consideration would go a long way when the HC is busy.

It's not hard. Try leaving a towel, jacket, book or eyeglass case on the table & it'll be waiting for you when you leave the food area. No roaming required to find a seat and no one ever sits at the table either.

I cruise solo once in awhile. I will typically leave a book and a beach bag without any valuables in it on a table and then go get my food.

I frequently cruise alone and my pet peeve with the buffet is that even if I have a seat, the servers are so quick to clear the plates I have actually lost my seat when going back for seconds. The server cleared all the plates and re-set the table and others sat down. :( Now I try and find someone to tell them I am coming back. :D I also have no problem going up to a table for 4 or 6 that only has 2 people at it and ask if they would mind if I sat there. 99.9% of the time they say yes, and I have met some nice folks that way.

I dine alone in the HC and always leave something on the table to hold it. I usually have a library book, hat, etc. I've never had a problem. I get my salad and roll first. Later, if I want hot food, I go back, get something and bring it right back to my table. Food is hot enough for me. Is it sizzling hot? No, but it works for me.

That's what we do but on another thread when I mentioned it I was accused of being a table hog. :rolleyes: It was probably from a person who complains about cold food at the buffet.

Bob, my hubby feels the same way, but he finds the food served in the dining room not hot enough for him either. So, either place does not offer food 'right off the stove hot' as he enjoys it the most, just like with most restaurants we visit except those with a sizzling steak plate. ;)

Next time you eat breakfast or dinner at home. Fix your plate, and carry it the length of your house (depending on the size of your house of course) twice, then sit down and eat it. It in no way will be as hot as if you fix your plate and go directly to your table 10 steps away. Plus, at home your food is usually all in one place and you don't have to walk along a buffet line getting what you want from station to station. lol

Sue;

Good point.....:):):)

Bob

Archived