New bookings only?

sportsmum

If a sale comes up for new bookings only and you cancel and rebook, isn't that a new booking? Why wouldn't it be?

The last cruise we took (Princess) had a new bookings only sale and I was told that if I were to cancel and rebook that it would not be considered a new booking. Why not? It was never really made clear (talk slow use small words) to me. I got the price in the end but was made to feel like I should have jumped through the phone and given him my first born. I had alternate cabins to choose from so that wasn't an issue.

I am wondering because I am in the process of booking another cruise (different TA!) and am curious if it was just that the TA didn't want to do the work or if there was a legitimate reason.

Thanks.

It sounds to me that the TA just didn't want to do the work. You can cancel and re-book to get the "new" price. You get a new booking number, and any reservations you have for excursions, restaurants, etc are canceled and credited back to your credit card account. You also lose your place in line for your preferred dining time if you have requested fixed/traditional.

For our cruise next month, after a price drop we just requested a higher class of cabin at the same price, and that was done as a cancel/rebook, with a new booking number.

This is where there is a difference between Princess and HAL. Princess and actually Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for that matter are extremely strict when it comes to sales for New Bookings only. They absolutely will not let you take advantage of the new promotion. Hal is actually quite good with this as long as it is before you final due date and you did not book originally with a Flash promotion. The only way I have seen Princess except doing this is if the cancellation was over 30 days and if not all the same passengers are in the cabin.

I have seen several instances with Princess where the passengers had a Flash Inside rate and want to pay three times what they paid originally to move up to a balcony or mini suite and it is a flat no go! But HAL on the other hand is considerate and will look for ways to collect more money from the passengers ;)

Wow, that is interesting.

Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

Hard to imagine they refuse a more pricey booking. I can understand if they don't want to lower the price but can't understand they don't want 'more money'. :eek:

some years ago, HAL offered a Mariner deals - we had already booked. The savings were substantial - so substantial I was willing to move up. (and still saved $100 pp - of course, that hasn't happened again)

I called my TA and she called HAL. It took a bit of work to be done and this is where some resistance could be met. Hal did have to rebook it, but no biggie. Bottom line, we got it and if that TA hadn't retired, I would still be booking with her:) HAL is really good about this and that's one of the reasons we love this line

Archived