Are deck parties and ice cream really gone

Dena

I have read that there are no more deck parties. Is this true in Hawaii too where there was always a party on the night we sailed past the volcano? For that matter, now that Kona was dropped, will we still sail past the volcano?

Also we used to be able to get scooped ice cream at the buffet around 3:30 pm, is this also gone?

I have read that there are no more deck parties. Is this true in Hawaii too where there was always a party on the night we sailed past the volcano? For that matter, now that Kona was dropped, will we still sail past the volcano?

Also we used to be able to get scooped ice cream at the buffet around 3:30 pm, is this also gone?

They had a deck party on the Golden last December & was in Honolulu. We sailed north from Hilo which I've read is now the norm so no chance for any lava flow viewing. Since they began giving free soft serve ice cream on deck, I haven't seen the afternoon ice cream.

They had a deck party on the Golden last December & was in Honolulu. We sailed north from Hilo which I've read is now the norm so no chance for any lava flow viewing. Since they began giving free soft serve ice cream on deck, I haven't seen the afternoon ice cream.

That is a shame, I can do without ice-cream, but I wanted to see the lava again.

That is a shame, I can do without ice-cream, but I wanted to see the lava again.

I was also disappointed but in '05 (or was it '04) when they had Kona we didn't see any lava which might not have been flowing at that time. There is some regular ice cream at the Scoops on deck for making shakes which some have said they could get a scoop but as I recall it was only vanilla.

We have done the Hawaii cruise on Princess the past four years at the holidays and even when the first year included Kona we did not sail by the lava.

And there have been tropical deck parties each year on one of our port evenings with a plentiful buffet, lots of music, dancing and fun.

Ice cream is now free at Scopps and while it is soft serve, it is creamy and tasty. And you can still get the "traditional" hand scooped ice cream every day in the dining room at lunch and dinner even though it is not at the buffet any longer.

So, maybe not exactly the same, but still lots to enjoy. Perhaps it is time to start seeing the glass as half full! :)

And you can still get the "traditional" hand scooped ice cream every day in the dining room at lunch and dinner even though it is not at the buffet any longer.

:)

I am actually pretty sure that I can't get it everyday at lunch.

At every lunch we have ever eaten in the dining room, there has been at least one or two choices for ice cream available as dessert. That has been MY experience on 11 Princess cruises. But far be it from me to try and dissuade you from your lists of "can'ts and don'ts".

At every lunch we have ever eaten in the dining room, there has been at least one or two choices for ice cream available as dessert. That has been MY experience on 11 Princess cruises. But far be it from me to try and dissuade you from your lists of "can'ts and don'ts".

Karatemom - you missed Dena's sarcasm :)

With Princess cutting lunch in the dining room on port days, she can no longer get the good ice cream on those days in the dining room as the dining room will be closed now.

You are correct, when the dining room is open, they do have ice cream every day as a dessert.

Yes, I'm sure what Dena is referring to is the closure of the dining room on port days, which will mean not only not being able to get the scooped ice cream at lunch. Unfortunately, Dena, the afternoon ice cream at Horizon Court was discontinued when Scoops became complimentary (except for the milkshakes and malts).

This also means that on the days the dining room is closed for lunch, there will be no place on the ship to obtain sugar free ice cream and sherbets/sorbets. There are no sugar free options at Scoops and there are also no lactose free options at Scoops either. The dining room is the only place to get this now during the day and so on port days that won't be an option.

If the lunch dining venue was changed to a smaller location, then perhaps these ice cream type desserts could still be offered.

ice cream is available. hard ice cream is available on sea days and at dinner. if you reeeeaaaallly need hard ice cream on a port day at lunch, i'd guess you could find it in the port.

my last princess cruise did have a deck party.

When Scoops went to complimentary soft serve and the 3:30 Horizon Court scooped ice cream service (which included the sugar free and lactose free options)was discontinued, Princess' customer service response was that customers could still get the scooped ice creams in the main dining room for lunch, so everyone said we should be satisfied with that response, since the ice cream was still available at the main dining room. Now the response from Princess customer service will be--you can get the ice cream in the main dining room on sea days and purchase the gelato (on the ships that have it) on the other days (with still no sugar free or lactose free options).

You should know that if you request the scooped (not soft serve) ice cream at the ice cream bar, they will give it to you. All you have to do is ask. I have had the real stuff at the ice cream bar on the Crown the past two years. If that has changed, I would like to know.

I just asked for vanilla, so I don't know if there are any other flavors. My guess is probably not...but I didn't ask, so I'm not sure.

Yes, I'm sure what Dena is referring to is the closure of the dining room on port days, which will mean not only not being able to get the scooped ice cream at lunch. Unfortunately, Dena, the afternoon ice cream at Horizon Court was discontinued when Scoops became complimentary (except for the milkshakes and malts).

This also means that on the days the dining room is closed for lunch, there will be no place on the ship to obtain sugar free ice cream and sherbets/sorbets. There are no sugar free options at Scoops and there are also no lactose free options at Scoops either. The dining room is the only place to get this now during the day and so on port days that won't be an option.

If the lunch dining venue was changed to a smaller location, then perhaps these ice cream type desserts could still be offered.

I hope that happens, but not for ice cream, for DH who has celiac disease and for Mom who has mobility problems.

We always get the Ultimate Kids Card (at least since they have been selling it to adults), which includes milkshakes and malts, and those are made from the scooped vanilla ice cream. I have asked and have been told that vanilla is the only hand scooped flavor available--this was on the Grand, Star, Caribbean, Crown, and Coral.

In addition, while you can ask and perhaps receive the hand-scooped vanilla, I have also seen people ask and been denied the hand scooped vanilla unless they have the Ultimate Kids Card. This was on the Grand and the Star. So I guess it depends on the server you ask.

But there are no sugar free soft serve or hand scooped ice creams available at Scoops.

The chocolate used to make the chocolate milkshakes is hersheys syrup poured from a bottle. The only two milkshake and malt flavors available are chocolate and vanilla.

Dena, I also hope so too, for the same reasons as you for my brother in the wheelchair and my nephew with celiec disease. But the ice cream would be a nice bonus and a favored sugar free dessert for my brother.

Deck parties:

On many Princess itineraries there will be a deck party once evening, usually starting around 10 PM or a little later. There will be a fruit and dessert buffet to go with it.

Ice cream:

When there were many complaints from passengers that Princess did not have frree softserve like some other cruise lines do, Princess eliminated the buffet ice cream hour and set up the "free" softserve during the hours that Scoops is open. Sometimes you get what you ask for and then realize what you had before was better.

On the Ocean and Pacific, there is no Scoops, so the ice cream hour in the buffet still exists on those ships, but I do not think there is

any lactose-free or sugar-free option there.

The afternoon ice cream in the buffet was replaced a while ago by the soft serve variety at the Scoops pooside. They don't mention it anywhere but on my recent Diamond Princess cruise while I was getting a soft serve cone the person in front of me requested a dish of regular ice cream,and was served it. They have this on hand for when they make milkshakes and I guess if you ask can get some. (probably just chocolate and vanilla)

The afternoon ice cream in the buffet was replaced a while ago by the soft serve variety at the Scoops pooside. They don't mention it anywhere but on my recent Diamond Princess cruise while I was getting a soft serve cone the person in front of me requested a dish of regular ice cream,and was served it. They have this on hand for when they make milkshakes and I guess if you ask can get some. (probably just chocolate and vanilla)

I wonder if it was real ice cream or just the frozen whipped stuff?

I'll ask for it next cruise.

It's real ice cream. I always ask for it and get it.

Yep, same here on Emerald, Crown, Caribbean that I have tried. It's the same ice cream they used to have in the buffet, you just have to ask for it.

Agree with caribill, that there were complaints for years about the lack of soft serve (mainly because on other lines it is always available) and now that it's here people are still complaining.

While Princess has made some recent changes to dining that don't thrill me, I think in some cases they simply cannot make everyone happy.

Archived