World cruise and can take only 23k luggage

jilaxton

Hi, I hope anybody that is back from the Dawn Princess 2011 World Cruise (or any other world cruise), who had to fly in to port on the day of departure (straight from airport to dock), with the ability to take only their 23k suitcase, and 7k carryon, will be able to give us some tips for our Princess world cruise next year. How did you do it? Am holding my breath. All tips thankfully received, and a million thanks in advance.

Hi, I hope anybody that is back from the Dawn Princess 2011 World Cruise (or any other world cruise), who had to fly in to port on the day of departure (straight from airport to dock), with the ability to take only their 23k suitcase, and 7k carryon, will be able to give us some tips for our Princess world cruise next year. How did you do it? Am holding my breath. All tips thankfully received, and a million thanks in advance.

Which airline are you flying with? On some airlines (Qantas for example) passengers can have 2 pieces of hand luggage each 7kg, but these are very rarely weighed. ;) Also with Qantas, passengers can have a second suitcase (up to 23kg) for an extra $20 if booked online (or $30 if booked at the airport). If you can do this, maybe three suitcases between two people.

Some airlines allow you to buy extra baggage allowance.

If I were going on a World Cruise, I would pay the extra for another suitcase each. In the scheme of things the cost it isn't very much compared to what you are paying for the cruise fare plus what you will be paying whilst away. I know that Jetstar and Virgin will let you take extra luggage as long as you are prepared to pay.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip. You are very lucky. My husband enjoys cruising but would never cruise for 100 days or whatever the length of a world cruise. Plus as we have been to most of the ports that are included in a world cruise, he would think it was a waste, whereas I wouldn't mind at all as long as I was on a ship. We do itineraries that are unusual and usually are up to 35 days. One day I would like to do a 50 day cruise but that is in the future.

Jennie

23kg is over 50-lb. Very doable. I often go on longer cruises and my suitcase never weighs more than 44-lb (20.4kg). I pack essentials such as underwear for just 7-8 days, clothing that can be mixed and matched to create many different outfits (nothing is ever worn just once, by itself or with only one other thing), and only bring travel-sized toiletries. I bring lightweight clothing that I can layer and avoid heavy clothing. I bring a minimum number of shoes. Plan on using the self-serve laundry or laundry services.

Are you aware that all Princess ships have self serve laundromats? That should help eliminate some items. Are you staying someplace the night before the cruise? If you are consider shipping (flat rate price) a box of things to that place which can be cheaper and easier then taking them as luggage, things that weigh the most to lighten your checked luggage.

Hi all,

You are so good to want to help out, all of you. AusTraveller - we are probably on Qantas from Auckland to Sydney, because Princess is booking it. There is only the 23k bag, and the 7k carryon. There is the ability to pre-pay extra, and I have emailed our agent about it. icat200 - You are right, of course, thankyou. Jennie (Aussi Gal)/ and Curious Cat - and you are right, too. The hesitation on my part was to avoid all the explanations at home. Coward? Sometimes. Peace is so nice! Pam in CA - yes, about 51 ½lbs. I've certainly packed very light travelling in many countries, and in it's own way, it's rather fun working it out. I thought also of looking around in ports for the odd extra top or two. As my mother also said: Well, who's looking at you, dear? Crussnooze - knew about the laundries, and also knew about the queues. Taking a Jiffy travel steamer for the ironing, as so many do. And my husband's good at laundries. You are all so great. A thousand thankyous. Jilli

Hi all,

You are so good to want to help out, all of you. AusTraveller - we are probably on Qantas from Auckland to Sydney, because Princess is booking it. There is only the 23k bag, and the 7k carryon. There is the ability to pre-pay extra, and I have emailed our agent about it. icat200 - You are right, of course, thankyou. Jennie (Aussi Gal)/ and Curious Cat - and you are right, too. The hesitation on my part was to avoid all the explanations at home. Coward? Sometimes. Peace is so nice! Pam in CA - yes, about 51 ½lbs. I've certainly packed very light travelling in many countries, and in it's own way, it's rather fun working it out. I thought also of looking around in ports for the odd extra top or two. As my mother also said: Well, who's looking at you, dear? Crussnooze - knew about the laundries, and also knew about the queues. Taking a Jiffy travel steamer for the ironing, as so many do. And my husband's good at laundries. You are all so great. A thousand thankyous. Jilli

What is a Jiffy travel steamer?? They sound ideal.

Jen

What concerns me is not how little you want to take, but that you are planning to arrive at the port just a short time after your flight. There are so many things things that can go wrong catching a flight. Even if it's a short flight, why not come in the night before, relax, and leisurely make your way to the ship?

Taking a Jiffy travel steamer for the ironing, as so many do. And my husband's good at laundries.

Regular irons are not allowed in cabins, but I have no idea how close to a regular iron a jiffy travel steamer is.

However, the laundromat rooms on every Princess ship have a irons and ironing boards for use there at no charge.

So, you do not have to have the weight of a jiffy travel steamer in your suitcase.

What concerns me is not how little you want to take' date=' but that you are planning to arrive at the port just a short time after your flight. There are so many things things that can go wrong catching a flight. Even if it's a short flight, why not come in the night before, relax, and leisurely make your way to the ship?[/quote']

Because Princess has booked their flights. :) If there is a problem with flight times, it is Princess' problem, not the passenger.

Otherwise I agree with you, I would rather fly the day before. We had a flight from Brisbane to Perth (lost two hours off the clock) the boarded the ship. We were very tired, but we had no choice on which flight we were on.

To jilaxton - With Qantas you can take two x 7kg hand luggage each. I don't know if this is a new rule, but we have taken advantage of this on our last four Qantas flights. It is amazing what you can fit into these pieces of hand luggage, particularly the roll-along kind. Don't get too paranoid about keeping to the weight limit. :)

Also, New Zealand is only 3 hour flight away so I am sure that the OP will be fine. We have flown from Melbourne to Sydney on the day of departure on a morning flight and have arrived safely at the dock at 1pm for a 5pm departure.

Jennie

I agree. The time difference also works in their favour - they arrive only one hour later than they leave NZ.

Princess arranges a flight on the day, met at the airport for conveyance straight to the dock. It is not unreasonable with the closeness of the 2 countries. Let's hope there are no strikes, but I expect they anticipate that, too. The steamer? It's not big and only heats for 2 minutes, Americans use them a lot on cruises where they can't take an iron. Takes out all those little creases . Latest check on that 7k carryon is - still just the one.

When I hear from the agent I'll work out a little pre-paid baggage allowance. 10k should be enough. thanks all, once again.

Please explain how that helps? They still arrive close to sailing time.

As you seem to be worried that they are going to miss the ship sailing at 5pm I will explain how it works. Say their plane leaves at 7am N.Z. time which is a normal flight with Air NZ. It arrives into Sydney at 8.30am. Even though it is a 3.5 hour flight, with the time difference of 2 hours, the flight still arrives with hours to spare.

If they miss that flight, there are still two other flights they can get, one at 9am and one at 1pm, which will also get them to the ship with plenty of time to spare. As they are flying with Princess, they have no worries anyhow.

Even if they miss the ship, which would be worst case scenario, the first port of call after many sea days is Darwin and that is only a 4 hour flight from Sydney. :)

Jennie

my parents sent their luggage ahead (can't remember the name of the service) They picked it up almost 2-3 weeks pre-cruise...the flew with only carry on luggage was waiting in their cabin.

Archived