I know there are many questions on proper dress but....

PA Beachlovers

We cruise in 9 days trying to get our clothes around. Question is, we know that proper dress is required for dining. Is it proper to wear dockers and a dress shirt on formal nights? On the other nights basically I would be wearing the same thing just trying to pick out the dressier looking shirts for the formal nights. I have seen on the boards here where they say it is ok to wear shorts and a polo on regular dining nights. Is this widely done or not really acceptable. It is much easier for my better half to dress because she has more appropriate clothes for this than I do. I am a jeans type of person in the winter and shorts and polos in the summer. Just don't want to under dress for the cruise!

No shorts in the main dining room at night for dinner.

This is wrong. Long shorts are allowed every night except Cruise Elegant and plentiful in number.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=wear

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

For non elegant nights a nice pair of golf shorts or kahki pants and a polo or short sleeved button up are fine. For the elegant nights you will want the khaki pants/dress pants and a long sleeve button up, tie not necessary, but it does look nice. You could also do a full suit or a tux...but these are the minimum that is considered appropriate.

Relax, you are going on a Carnival cruise where you will dress much more like you would for an AI resort than a traditional cruise! It's not called Formal night anymore on Carnival it's "Cruise Elegant" so dress pants and a nice button up shirt are perfect. You will look very nice. If you wish to dress up a bit more, you can, but it is not required.

You have a common problem as many with respect to the better half.

I'd avoid the "shorts" but dockers and a dress shirt every evening and than a tie for the elegant will be enough. The clothing police will attempt to inject serious FUD here, but you'll be good.

Jean and polo work on non formal/elegant, you will be likely on the less elegantly dressed but I doubt anyone but clothing police here will make a stink :D

We cruise in 9 days trying to get our clothes around. Question is, we know that proper dress is required for dining. Is it proper to wear dockers and a dress shirt on formal nights? On the other nights basically I would be wearing the same thing just trying to pick out the dressier looking shirts for the formal nights. I have seen on the boards here where they say it is ok to wear shorts and a polo on regular dining nights. Is this widely done or not really acceptable. It is much easier for my better half to dress because she has more appropriate clothes for this than I do. I am a jeans type of person in the winter and shorts and polos in the summer. Just don't want to under dress for the cruise!

Archived