Room Service Only for Breakfast?

dioxide45

I have never ordered room service before in 7 prior cruises. However, now I'm seriously considering ordering breakfast every morning on our Oasis cruise next month. We're not huge breakfast people at home anyway- bowl of cereal or a yogurt usually.

Everyone is right, the buffets are a mad house on both RCCL and Carnival. We have a 3 year old, and it is sort of annoying to have to get everyone dressed and ready to go (wife takes forever, obviously! lol) before we can go up and fight the crowds just to end up eating the same basic breakfast every morning. Especially on port days when we have the additional goal of getting off of the ship.

I might also consider some of the alternate venues for breakfast. But really, I think I'm finally over messing with the Windjammer. Kicking back enjoying a cup of joe on my own balcony seems like the ticket!

We have a room service breakfast on our balcony every morning of our cruise. We really enjoy the time we have alone with one another, first thing in the morning. It's especially nice to watch the ship pull into port while having breakfast together. No crowds, no noise, and a beautiful view.

We tried the MDR and Windjammer, but we really enjoy having the quiet time to ourselves in the morning.

I do appreciate that they call you before coming to your room. Such a nice touch. :)

How many items do you typically order for breakfast? We do room service breakfast sometimes on relaxing sea days, but I feel a bit ashamed when the breakfast delivery comes and there's so many items to bring in (fruits, cereals, eggs, bread, juices, tea, etc) just for the two of us. it's not easy to bring in all those trays to satisfy our hunger in the morning (I tip a couple of euros for the service). Often we continue with a late breakfast in the WJ :)

We are seriously considering having a balcony breakfast everyday next year.

It's only our daughter who likes the hustle and bustle of the windjammer and we don't!

The usual menu (card hanger) looks great, but the suite menu is divine. When you call through, they make everything:D The omelettes are so tasty.

Everything arrives on time and delicious and I can eat in my bathrobe!

So much more relaxing....

Has anyone else done this or are we alone in this? On our last cruise (Freedom) we had breakfast in the MDR and it was a madhouse. Much more so than at dinner it seemed. The WJ is just as bad. I think we may have had breakfast in WJ once and it wasn't anything special and pretty much the same basics every day. We did room service for most of the remaining days.

We are sailing on Oasis in November and are already thinking of just ordering room service for breakfast every day. I understand the menu is limited but I find it so much easier to have it delivered and enjoy in bed or on the balcony. Just fill out the form the night before and place it on our door. Then breakfast appears at the requested time. No noise, no hustle and bustle and only need to be dressed decent enough for the server to deliver the food.

Anyone else done only room service for an entire cruise?

On the Oasis - you will have many more choices for breakfast. Besides room service you will be able to eat breakfast in the Solarium, Central Park, Johnny Rockets.

But we are also fans of breakfast room service. The breakfast room service menu on Royal will get you scrambled eggs with your choice of bacon or sausage or both! Besides fruit, pastries, etc. Yes - the room service menus in suites are dining room menus, you can get anything the dining room is serving for B-L-D.

We spent 2 weeks on the Oasis, we never-once ate in the WJ not that we are anti-WJ people - there were just other places to go. We ate breakfast at Johnny Rockets often - a real diner style breakfast (something I never eat back home - so this was a treat!). The Park Cafe had interesting breakfast choices - bagels, oatmeal, etc. The Solarium dining room had "healthy-choices".

As far as dining rooms and the WJ being mad houses - I think that may be related to the time of the day you try and eat. We are not ones to sleep late, we generally ate breakfast between 8 and 8:30AM and never had a problem but as the clock went past 9AM - people started showing up in mass.

But room service is the way to go - nothing like having a cup of coffee as you sail the ocean or pull into a port........

Oh - and let's not forget the "Breakfast of Champions!" - The Doughnut Shop - they ain't Dunkins or Krispy Kreames but they'll do in a pinch!!!! Hahahahaha

Good luck - Bon Voyage.......

g

Wouldn't do it, for several reasons:

Menu is way too limited.

Don't want to have set time I have to get up by and eat at.

Seems like it's mostly cold by the time it arrives.

Don't like having to eat off a bed or miniature table.

Has anyone else done this or are we alone in this? On our last cruise (Freedom) we had breakfast in the MDR and it was a madhouse. Much more so than at dinner it seemed. The WJ is just as bad. I think we may have had breakfast in WJ once and it wasn't anything special and pretty much the same basics every day. We did room service for most of the remaining days.

We are sailing on Oasis in November and are already thinking of just ordering room service for breakfast every day. I understand the menu is limited but I find it so much easier to have it delivered and enjoy in bed or on the balcony. Just fill out the form the night before and place it on our door. Then breakfast appears at the requested time. No noise, no hustle and bustle and only need to be dressed decent enough for the server to deliver the food.

Anyone else done only room service for an entire cruise?

This is all we ever do. This is "how" we see breakfast on a cruise to operate for us. Absolutely nothing beats breakfast on your balcony with a different view every morning!!!

And it was the best wake up call too!! No need for an alarm, when the phone rang, we'd wake up, get out of bed by the time the attendant was at the door with the breakfast. It was much better than fighting in the WJ or MDR for breakfast. Everything that should have been cold was cold and everything that was supposed to be hot was hot. It was awesome, and something my DH is looking forward to.

Agree we have room service every morning on the Explorer.You just said what i was going to say.What we like the most about Explorer is we are one hours drive from the port.NO AIR FARE.:rolleyes: :)

It's a continental breakfast on carnival. No bacon, sausage or eggs. I think I recall a tiny bit of salmon for bagels available but that wasn't much of a protein, just a thin sliver.

**edit** double checked and salmon was the only choice with Carnival.

DSC00252.JPG

I ordered the BLT for breakfast on Carnival. Yum!

When I was on my NCL cruise, room service breakfast for non-suite staterooms was similar to what you see in the Carnival menu show above. Continental.

My favorite move was to place an order from that menu, have it delivered, eat it out on the balcony. Some cereal. Yogurt. Some OJ and cofee. Then, after getting dressed, head to the MDR to eat second breakfast. Order some pancakes and bacon or whaterver. Why? Because you can. :)

I'll give that a try when I am on Freedom next year.

When I was on my NCL cruise, room service breakfast for non-suite staterooms was similar to what you see in the Carnival menu show above. Continental.

My favorite move was to place an order from that menu, have it delivered, eat it out on the balcony. Some cereal. Yogurt. Some OJ and cofee. Then, after getting dressed, head to the MDR to eat second breakfast. Order some pancakes and bacon or whaterver. Why? Because you can. :)

I'll give that a try when I am on Freedom next year.

That's what I usually do too!! I like to have my coffee & juice as I am getting ready in the morning...and a crossiant & some strawberry jam..:D then I either head to the WJ or the MDR for french toast...yumm!

Love room service for breakfast! We did this every morning on our last cruise and loved it. My teenage son enjoyed breakfast in bed every morning and I enjoyed not having to leave the cabin and fight the crowds. We have a balcony cabin this time and I am really looking forward to breakfast on the balcony every morning! In response to the person who was a bit embarrased about ordering so much for 2 people, I felt the same way :o. They brought in about 5 trays for us every morning, but were really nice about it and I tipped appropriately. The food was always great and loved having my morning coffee before I had to get ready to go out. And, like the others, I loved the wake up call! :)

My disability makes me slow to get going in the morning, and on every cruise I've been on RCCL was gracious about placing my breakfast on the balcony each morning! On Christmas Day they even brought my entire family waffles, though it was NOT on the menu.

very nice and thoughtful...the room service attendant brought ours to the balcony as well even though my roommate was still sleeping. They are very discreet...walk in, place it on the balcony table, and walk right out. Very polite :-)

also wanted to add that we love room service for breakfast as well. I have to have coffee first thing in the morning. I have thrown a baseball cap on my head, thrown on something to decent to go up to the WJ to grab one cup of coffee then come back to my cabin. I have learned to love room service because I'll have a general idea the night before when I want to get up and I'll order coffee in my cabin and usually a small breakfast. Oh and I love bacon, and I love it crispy so I may ask for 4 pieces of CRISPY bacon and they have always gotten it right!

That's what I've done on Carnival in the past. Order some pastries and coffee and enjoy that as I get ready for the day. Then we'd wander off to get a real breakfast in the MDR or buffet.

With Carnival offering warm foods like eggs and meat I'll be ordering that instead.

I have also read on here, that if you want something thats not on the menu, just right it down on the card and they do there best to accommodate

They used to do that, but in this era of cutbacks I wouldn't count on it. HAL does it, if you're ordering when the MDR is open.

On our Adventure cruise in March we wrote in a special order for eggs. Got a call from room service advising they could not do it and would we like a substitute? First time it had happened to us.

Don't want to have set time I have to get up by and eat at.

Thats why we dont do it either.......who knows when I'll get up?? Could be 2 hours before the time I selected or 2 hours after!:eek:

I just call in the morning if I really want something..

I have also read on here, that if you want something thats not on the menu, just right it down on the card and they do there best to accommodate
That hasn't worked on our last two cruises. They just substituted something on the menu.

Archived