Why no clothes steamers?

woldridge

I think anything to do with hot objects and clothes are considered a major potential fire hazard whereas hot objects like hair dryers and curling irons are not as they don't come into direct contact with flammable material likes clothes. Yes, they still are a fire hazard, but you can't ban all electrical appliance especially if they have to do with personal grooming. Most people turn off or unplug curling iron or hairdryer which not might always be the case with irons and streamers. You don't use curling irons or hair dryers on clothes so they are not considered a major potential fire hazard.

Edited by COMBOY

Aflat iron get very very hot and if something gets on the plates, I would consider that a major fire hazard. A steamer is just that...a steamer that although there are heating coils, steams with water. I don't think it can be considered a fire hazard like an iron, or flat iron, etc. Out of curiousity, how much is it on board to send something out for pressing (like my DH suit) or some tops?

• 3 years later...

I have been on 22 cruises and have used my plastic steamer on 10 of them until my last cruise in April. I knew about the iron ban, but the steamer was news to me...never had any problems with the steamer before, so why would I go back and reread the banned list...especially since the item isn't listed?! I think the IT dept. doesn't always keep up with the policies changes being made. So, okay, I will steam some of the wrinkles in the shower...

Edited by jerseygirl74

I've followed this thread with some bemusement as I'd never actually heard of a clothes steamer! I've looked on line and even the 'portable' ones seemed to be huge. Do you guys use them just for de-creasing, or to ahem... freshen up ...clothes to save washing them? Just being inquisitive!

I've followed this thread with some bemusement as I'd never actually heard of a clothes steamer! I've looked on line and even the 'portable' ones seemed to be huge. Do you guys use them just for de-creasing, or to ahem... freshen up ...clothes to save washing them? Just being inquisitive!

On our last theater tour (Celebrity behind-the-scenes), I learned their secret for keeping all those costumes "fresh". They make a spray, using 2 parts water and one part vodka (no joke). The wardrobe-manager on Eclipse swore by it! :cool:

On our last theater tour (Celebrity behind-the-scenes), I learned their secret for keeping all those costumes "fresh". They make a spray, using 2 parts water and one part vodka (no joke). The wardrobe-manager on Eclipse swore by it! :cool:

No way! There you are folks - all you need is a small sprayer and use your drinks package for the voddy and mineral water.

On my first long vacation (of 3.5 weeks) between land and sea travel, part of that trip was my first Transatlantic on the Royal Caribbean ship "Adventure of the Seas" (a 15 day journey from Malaga, Spain to San Juan, Puerto Rico). It was an amazing trip!

Small, hand-held, garment steamers (mine is from Rowenta) are quite useful on longer trips where you just want to remove a majority of the wrinkles from clothes that have been packed up in a suitcase for days to a week or more while you were traveling to get to the cruise portion of your trip. They are small and easy to pack and very light weight These small garment steamers were permitted on Royal Caribbean, but I was aware that they are expressly stated as not allowed on Celebrity.

Here is a link to a model similar to the one I own.

Edited by vulcan1971

On my first long vacation (of 3.5 weeks) between land and sea travel, part of that trip was my first Transatlantic on the Royal Caribbean ship "Adventure of the Seas" (a 15 day journey from Malaga, Spain to San Juan, Puerto Rico). It was an amazing trip!

Small, hand-held, garment steamers (mine is from Rowenta) are quite useful on longer trips where you just want to remove a majority of the wrinkles from clothes that have been packed up in a suitcase for days to a week or more while you were traveling to get to the cruise portion of your trip. They are small and easy to pack and very light weight These small garment steamers were permitted on Royal Caribbean, but I was aware that they are expressly stated as not allowed on Celebrity.

Here is a link to a model similar to the one I own.

Thanks for the link. I can see it being useful if you're having to keep your clothes in a suitcase for a long time. For Celebrity trips though, it looks like the "vodka and water spray" cure could be a winner!

Forget the wrinkles. Relax and enjoy. If wrinkles really annoy you, bring clothing that doesn't wrinkle. Sweats, knits, woven fabrics travel well. Chicos travelers is fabulous. You are on vacation. Leave the steamer home. Nobody will care if you wear wrinkles clothes. If wrinkles clothing really is a problem for you, you need a cruise vacation. By the end of the cruise, I hope you will have forgotten the wrinkles.

Forget the wrinkles. Relax and enjoy. If wrinkles really annoy you, bring clothing that doesn't wrinkle. Sweats, knits, woven fabrics travel well. Chicos travelers is fabulous. You are on vacation. Leave the steamer home. Nobody will care if you wear wrinkles clothes. If wrinkles clothing really is a problem for you, you need a cruise vacation. By the end of the cruise, I hope you will have forgotten the wrinkles.

Trust me RedTravel - I gave up worrying about wrinkles years ago!!

On a serious note, I don't recall creasing - in my clothes - being a problem except for linen but that's part of their look. As I said earlier, I was just intrigued about the whole clothes steamer concept.

I believe the mixture is 10 parts vodka, one part water. Continue to drink until you don't care about the wrinkles anymore.

Absolutely the two best pieces of advice ever on Cruise Critic! I've always said that Vodka is The Superfood!

It's basically common sense. For example, they call out "HAM Radios".

OK, so if I bring a low-power transmitter running a few watts that consumes less power than your smart phone, then there's no reason to block those. If you show up with a 100 watt transceiver and a poor lash-up antenna that pops circuit breakers, you're going to have that confiscated.

That's why these devices are banned - they eat too much power and risk inconveniencing other guests. Don't be that jerk, and you won't likely have any problem.