Live from Voyager Venice to Monte Carlo--Sept 29-Oct 10

RachelG

Well, not actually live from the Voyager yet, but in transit to her. I thought I would get this set up while I have time sitting in the AC at DFW. We have a 3 hr layover as the closer connection time was just a little bit too close (45 min) for me. I like to start off a trip with as little stress as possible.

We are flying to Madrid on AA, then on to Venice on Iberia. This is the same route we took 2 years ago, and I prefer the Madrid airport over LHR. Son's upgrade came through at the last minute, so he is sitting with me in business.

Missy, the Maine Coon, apparently figured out something was up as she scratched my son hard on the hand this am--and she never scratches anyone. So he has 3 very large claw marks, separated pretty far apart as Maine Coons have huge paws. She probably knows she is going to be at the mercy of my husband for the next 2 weeks, so food and water may be sporatic. Poor girl.

I will make a good tour of Voyager after we board and try to note all the dry-dock upgrades. If anyone has specific questions, please ask and I will attempt to find the answers!

Hi Rachel-- I'm glad you're posting. I've found your input very helpful on this board, plus I'm thinking maybe of booking Venice-Monte Carlo for next summer. I just looked at your itinerary and it's somewhat different from next year's; also "my" cruise would be on Mariner. (I guess we like the ships equally.) I wish that the some of your ports were on our cruise-- I like your itinerary better.

E.g. We've been to both Kotor and Korcula on a past Regent cruise, and while we liked Kotor, we absolutely loved Korcula. What a treat it'd be to see that town again!

I'd also love to visit Positano and Portofino. I'm glad next summer's itinerary includes Dubrovnik, but I have approximately zero interest in visiting Cannes, and I'm not chomping at the bit to visit Urbino. (Haven't really researched it yet though.)

So: I wish you a lovely cruise in every way, and I look forward to your reports. (Most readers seem to be more interested in what's what on the ship; I tend to be most interested in hearing about the ports/excursions.)

Bon Voyage!

Wishing you and your son a wonderful cruise!

The weather in the Mediterranean should be nice right now. We were there mid-to-late April on the Mariner Rome to Istanbul cruise, and it was in the mid-70s. Just perfect!

We'll be seeing you on the January 6th Mariner cruise - thanks for your input!:)

Rachel, you are a star to take up your vacation time with George to keep us fans in touch. Love to hear how he enjoys his first cruise for a long time. Paul & Eileen are on Voyager in 3 weeks time and they will be particularly interested in youe reactions to the uplift.

Get stuck into that veg curry!

I'm glad next summer's itinerary includes Dubrovnik, but I have approximately zero interest in visiting Cannes,

Hi poss,

I totally agree with you - just get a rental car an drive through the lovely landscape and visit nice little towns like Tourrettes sur Loup , Saint-Paul-de-Vence or Eze Village . These are my alltime-favourites ... :)

Finally onboard. Our travels were without much problem though our Madric to Venice flight was delayed about an hour. Last trip, my husband and I had sprung for a water taxi to take us to the Hilton--costing 110 euro. This time, I thought we would try the Alilaguna water bus. Way cheaper at 12 euro per person. But takes much longer. Took 1 1/2 hr to get to the Hilton. Water taxi would probably be 30 min. To do over, I would spend the extra $ for the water taxi for this part of the journey. If you had 4 people, it really would be a no-brainer.

Hilton was great as usual--advantage being predictable plumbing and beds. We have learned our lesson in Europe, having ended up at some pretty dodgy places in the past. Yes, you pay more, but still worth it in my opinion. We did this part on our own rather than with Regent as transfers and hotel were less than the $300 pp credit that Regent gives.

Toured around St. Marks area this am on our own. I purchased the vaporetto passes and the alilaguna tickets ahead of time online--they give a discount for doing that. Very easy.

Took the alilaguna water bus from the Hilton to the port. Absolutely the best way as it is 6.50 pp if you purchase in advance (7pp if you do it at the time). Way better than the 65 euro we were charged for a water taxi last time, and only takes maybe 10 min.

Voyager is beautiful as always. Getting from the Alilaguna stop to the ship was a bit tricky as there was no sign or person there directing till you get right up to the terminal. But we figured it out. Those who did the Regent transfer were pretty unhappy, as they were on a big bus and had to wait a very long time in the sun. I was happy we did our own.

We have toured all around the ship. I can't see any difference in the carpet (supposedly all replaced), but the coffee connection is noticably larger (good). Everything looks very clean. The top deck has been refurbished, and there is now a croquet course, more golf and putting. It is really very impressive.

Toiletries in rooms are now L'Occitaine, but they also put out the generic Regent stuff as well. I supposed they are trying to get rid of it.

They actually served real French champagne on boarding (no lines there) and in our room on arrivall. It is Chateau Parquart, whatever that means (not a champagne expert), but it is authentic and from Reims. I thought it tasted fine.

Jamie Logan is CD. Haven't seen any other staff I know yet.

I was able to exchange one of our paid excursions that I had pre reserved for one to use the on board credit. Another is on wait list. Michael at the destination services desk was very helpful and understood what I was wanting.

FThose who did the Regent transfer were pretty unhappy, as they were on a big bus and had to wait a very long time in the sun. I was happy we did our own.

Question for everyone. The other Regent cruise we did left from Vancouver. We paid for our hotel through Regent, and we were able to leave our luggage in the hotel room, and the Regent people picked it up and transported it to the ship without us being present. We then did some sight seeing and meandered onto the ship at our leisure.

On this cruise, we are staying in the Regent supplied hotel, Fairmont. We would like to do the same thing and tour Monte Carlo for at least half the day. Can you leave the luggage in the room and have Regent pick it up and deliver to the ship??

Hi Rachel. Happy you have arrived on the ship. Thanks for suggesting that a water taxi in Venice from the airport to the hotel is the best way to go. There will be three of us when we go in May so feel that the taxi makes sense.

You are lucky to have Jamie and Dana for your cruise as they are only staying on the Voyager for the month and then transferring to the Navigator. Elsie

When we overnighted at the Fairmont in Monte Carlo (a pleasant hotel), there was a place that all Regent folks could leave their luggage-- in a little room or space near reception. We had breakfast and then had a very nice couple of hours touring the sites. I have no interest in being in MC/Monaco for any length of time, but we very much enjoyed 3-4 hours there.

Thanks, Poss, for answering that question as I sure didn't know the answer since we do our own hotels and transfers. Heard lots more complaining from the folks who did the Regent transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship yesterday. Long time waiting in the sun at the airport--not what you want when you have been travelling overnight. And lots of waiting yesterday as well. Fortunately we arrived at a totally different time than those on Regents transfers, so there was no line at all when we checked in on board. We just walked right on. They had the entertainers checking everyone in inside the terminal rather than on the ship, and I think that worked very smoothly.

Last pm, we had the block party. Everyone on our hall came out for wine with the stewardesses serving. Met one of the CC posters on our roll call who is just down the hall. Super nice lady. Several staff from the spa came around--very friendly and much more communicative and eager to get to know people than what I have experienced in the past. Jamie, Capt McNeill, and Frank Galczy came through as well. I have never sailed with Capt McNeill before, but he seems quite capable and is very nice.

Dinner in Prime 7. Excellent. We were able to get a table with my friends Ron and Sue who I sailed with last year at this time. They are so fun, and it was great to visit with them and have GE meet them. Tom, I had Dover Sole and a salty bread stick just for you. Everyone else had steaks which they said were good, but I was happy with my sole. GE was quite impressed with dinner and has already informed me he wants to do this every year. I also had the oyster rockefeller appetizer. Everyone else had salads--fine but I can get that anytime. Oysters were great.

Wine flowed freely!! We were offered to select off the premium list, but there was no pressure to do so. Since the complementary wine seemed fine (a chardonney and a zin, both from Calif), we stuck with those and were pleased.

After dinner, there was a singer in the horizon lounge. We went, but really not my type of thing. I think a lot of people were really tired from travel as the lounge was not full.

Sounds like a good start. I have never met Jamie, but have followed his blog avidly. I used to correspond with him via the blog but recently his site won't accept my remarks. It says I should ensure JavaScript and cookies are enabled, which they are but his site still won't accept my comments. No matter.

As one who almost always takes Regent travel arrangements and transfers, the plight of those in Venice was worrying. No doubt once on board though they will relax into the comfort of Regent care.

Best wishes, Rachel, for a happy cruise.

Last night was in port, so we woke up to another beautiful day in Venice. Perfect sunny weather.

I contracted some sort of insomnia where I wake up at 5 am and can't go back to sleep. It is not jet lag because I don't feel the least bit sleepy or tired. But both GE and I woke at 5. SO---we went exercising. I walked/ran up on the top deck to a beautiful Venician sunrise. It was really great with all the old churches and towers in the foreground. He came up top for a while then went to the gym.

Afterward, we did laundry--new machines which are way easier to work and almost fool proof, but no timer on the washer. And at the same time, had breakfast in La Veranda.

While I said I couldn't see any difference in the carpet, I have to amend that. The carpeting in La Veranda really is beautiful and matches the china. Whoever did the decorating there had an excellent eye for style. And also the carpets in the stairways (actually properly called ladder ways on a ship according to GE) are noticeably newer. Also the carpet in our suite still seems to be "shedding" so I guess that is a sign of "new".

Also new, noted today, are really nice thick white terry cloth covers on the loungers by the pool. Apparently they change and wash these every day.

Our tour was the gondola ride as I have been to Venice before but never was able to do the gondolas. They take you by water bus to the St Marks stop where they divide you into groups of 6 for the gondolas. We had a great group--a couple from Ft. Worth who went to OSU and a couple from Toronto.

I should have realized from the appearance, but never had before, that gondolas are really just like canoes--very tippy. Our driver got a little annoyed if we moved at all as it caused the center of gravity in the gondola to shift. Anyway, it was fun and something I would definitely recommend and would do again.

Then we broke off from the group and went to the Correr Museum on our own. No people there at all--and outstanding art. I think better as far as art than the Doges Palace. We enjoyed it a lot.

Rode the vaporetto down the Grand Canal to Piazzale Roma, then took the "People Mover", the new mini-train transport system, to the entrance of the portl. Until this year, Regent had provided a shuttle bus from Piazzale Roma to the ship. Now Venice port authorities will not allow this at all. Apparently, they are trying to pay for their new transportation. So you have to pay 1 euro pp to ride the people mover to the entrance of the port where Regent has a shuttle. We actually walked from the port entrance as the shuttle was waiting for more people, and we arrived quicker than if we had taken the shuttle.

Lazy afternoon--lunch at pool grill, laid in sun and read books, mandatory lifeboat drill which now is done without the life jackets.

An amazing sailaway from Venice then the Captain's reception. This time held in the atrium and involved opera singing since this is a focus on opera cruise. I am not a big opera fan, but I thought it was nice. Captain introduced the heads of all the departments on the stairs--again nice and organized.

Dinner was in Signatures. My favorite restaurant. I was trying to be healthy so had the scallops, mushroom soup (big indulgence) and halibut. All perfect. GE had the caviar appetizer as he had announced that one of his goals on this trip was to try caviar. Fortunately, it was really good. Cheeses for dessert. Wine on offer was very good, a white sancerre from Loire, and a burgundy. Again no need to buy any other.

Another change I have noted. When you are at the computer, if you haven't done anything in a while, it asks you if you are still there rather than just logging you off. A good measure in my opinion.

Rachel - glad you had a good trip over and welcome to this side of the "pond".

Thanks for the info on the Alilaguna and Vaporetto tix by internet. I had no idea you could do this and it will come in handy the next time we go to Venice.

John McNeil is a GREAT captain. We sailed with him FLL to Monte Carlo two years ago. Lucky you!!

While you are on board can you see if you can find out what will happen when the Cordon Bleu contract runs out (and when it runs out?) with Signatures... nothing has been announced yet as far as I know.

Continue to enjoy the Voyager and keep the posts coming in!!

Gerry

The Voyager sounds like it is in great shape! Only 60 days and we'll be boarding the Voyager foro ur 21 night cruise.

Thank you for the lovely description of Venice. We will overnight there next April (also on the Voyager). That will be our first time Venice and I think I will book the gondola ride and will remember not to move:) Do you know what the typical tip is for the gondola "driver" (not sure what the proper name for this would be).

Looking forward to your next post.

Thanks for your continued posts, Rachel. They're of particular interest to me because I'm trying to decide whether to book Venice-Monte Carlo for next end of July/August (would prefer Sept. but too concerned abt hurricanes hereabouts to leave.)

One of my big questions is the whole Venice transportation "problem." We're not able anymore to do our own hauling. I'd probably book the Regent hotel/transfer given the special conditions of Venice, but the hotel they're using next year is the Continental; reviews on that hotel are anything but inviting. So I'm trying to understand what it'd be like for us to find a pleasant small hotel (or the Hilton or whatever) and go it ourselves. Thanks so much for all the detail about transportation, but I still don't see the whole picture as clearly as I wish I did. E.g., how far is it from where one picks up baggage in the airport to the water taxi? Is it much of a walk? Is it flat? And I assume that water taxi works only if one's hotel can be accessed directly by water? Likewise the trip from hotel to port. Is it quite simple to find and board the Alilaguna? Your mention of having a bit of trouble finding the ship gives me some pause. I don't at all mind asking questions (in my no Italian), hunting here and there, etc. But my husband tends to become uneasy if things don't go smoothly. I do wish that Regent used a better hotel (as it does, e.g. in Monte Carlo), but I guess they're trying to save money. As who of us isn't.

Again, thanks much for your help and those great details.

Archived