Help, we changed stateroom from RS a to a PH. Did I make a mistake?

DiamondSuiteCruiser

Okay we originally book a RS and then my DH talked me into upgrading to one of the PH suites on our May 2012 Alaska cruise? Did we make a mistake? I'm affraid that in May it will be to cold to enjoy the balcony, and I know he like lots of space, but it maybe to big! Someone talk me out of this panic I'm going through! He loves to go all out and I like to save and cut back! Should we ask our CC friends to join us on our sail away or would that be bragging?:confused:

Absolutely invite the people on your roll call!:) I wish we had had someone on our last roll call that had a PH available for either the cabin crawl or the sailaway party. Maybe you could work out something with a member or two of your roll call to hold additional parties, so the space doesn't go to waste-- you provide the setting, they pay for the bar setup. Personally, I'd don a parka or whatever would be necessary to Party in the Penthouse! Then again, I'm used to tailgating in January in Wisconsin.

As far as cold, it would be just as cold on the balcony of a RS, and I would think you'd want to be outside in any case to enjoy the magnificent scenery. At least, I hope so-- we'll be there in August 2012.

Only you can say if the additional cost is worth it, but I think booking the PH is something everyone should do once in their life.:cool:

We just got back from the last Alaska cruise of the year, and had an aft on deck 7, directly above you. I can honestly say we hardly used our balcony at all - it was very cold, windy and rainy. Your cruise might have beautiful weather. We love being aft...love the view of the wake, the larger balcony. Yours is ridiculously huge.

If we could afford it we'd take the PH any day - your indoor space is wonderful, too. And I truly hope you get to utilize your wonderful balcony...but there are no guarantees.

Thanks, we have been on three other Alaska cruises, but all of them have been in June, we have been very lucky and had great weather on our other trips, only one time it was foggy when we when to Hubbard Glacier. I'm sure it will be cold, and I'm hoping it won't rain on our parade. I'm just not sure we will get our money's worth out of the large of a suite.

We were on the last southbound cruise in 2009 and had great weather. My parents had a balcony and used it everyday. They said it was worth the price just for the day in Glacier Bay. Even if it was cooler they would have still gotten some use out of it. I say if money isn't a problem...go for it.

....Should we ask our CC friends to join us on our sail away or would that be bragging?:confused:

When we've been invited to parties or other events in the Penthouse I've always felt that those inviting us were being generous hosts and never felt they were bragging. If you'd like to have people there then by all means do so! In my mind one of the best things about having a cabin or veranda large enough to have a party is having a party on one! And the great butler service you'll have makes it all that much easier. Also, don't hesitate to let people know if it's BYOB as otherwise people don't know if they should bring something or not.

When we've been invited to parties or other events in the Penthouse I've always felt that those inviting us were being generous hosts and never felt they were bragging. If you'd like to have people there then by all means do so! In my mind one of the best things about having a cabin or veranda large enough to have a party is having a party on one! And the great butler service you'll have makes it all that much easier. Also, don't hesitate to let people know if it's BYOB as otherwise people don't know if they should bring something or not.

Ditto:D

On our 1st cruise in '95, one of our table mates had a suite, they must have mentioned it 4 or 5 times, but never invited anyone....that's bragging. Recently, a couple we met at an Elite event asked us to their suite for lunch....loved it, except I was Very nervous my wife would Really Really love it! Our hosts were gracious - one a lawyer and the other ran restaurants in Boston, well to do men who were at ease with being well off, but low key and classy.

Always nice to be able to share our good fortune.

Den

The two cruises we did to Alaska were both in May. Both times we had excellent weather although that is not to say there weren't some foggy times or damp times, especially when viewing glaciers. We enjoyed our balcony, even though we had to put on jackets some of the time - but not all of the time. Who knows what 2012 will bring in terms of weather over here on the left coast! Gather ye rosebuds while ye may....

Enjoy yourselves, every minute.

Barbara

we came back from cruise to Alaska a couple of weeks ago, we had a royal suite the balcony was wonderful for the scenery even in the rain, and we had a couple of lovely sunny days hot enough for sitting in the sun in not much, and i agree with the person who said go for the penthouse you can never have to much space, as for being cautious you are on holiday and in the words of Dorothy parker "take care of life's luxury's, the necessities will take care of themselves" a sentiment i often live by.

debs

we came back from cruise to Alaska a couple of weeks ago, we had a royal suite the balcony was wonderful for the scenery even in the rain, and we had a couple of lovely sunny days hot enough for sitting in the sun in not much, and i agree with the person who said go for the penthouse you can never have to much space, as for being cautious you are on holiday and in the words of Dorothy Parker "take care of life's luxury's, the necessities will take care of themselves" a sentiment i often live by.

debs

The advantage of being aft facing if the weather is poor is that you are afforded some shelter from the wind and rain and the PH balcony does have a good overhang outside the patio doors. You can't beat that aft view with the magnificent Alaska scenery, especially sailing through the fjords. I wouldn't consider a gathering in your suite bragging either. Your roll call mates will love you for it!:)

Phil

in the words of Dorothy Parker "take care of life's luxury's, the necessities will take care of themselves" a sentiment i often live by.

Not heard this before but love it!

It was August when we went to Alaska but the weather was not good. We had a forward facing penthouse [on NCL - not a patch on yours!] but we still made good use of the balcony with the family [aged 8 to 80] and just dressed appropriately. An aft facing balcony is considerably better. I predict that you will wrap up and lean on the balcony rail watching the wake wondering why you every questioned the decision.

As Phil says, your roll call mates will love an invite and never consider that you are bragging. Just go with the flow and enjoy the space. We were so hoping to be able to book an M-class PH for our 40th anniversary in 2012 but Celebrity has swapped ships/itineraries and we are going to have to slum it in a S-class PH!

Sue

On our Alaska cruise on Infinity a few years ago, we sat at the same dinner table with the people in the PH suite and we were in an aft cabin on deck 7 right above them. We had gorgeous weather and they ate breakfast on their balcony every day. They invited everyone at our dinner table to have dinner in their suite one evening. They allowed us to see the whole suite. It's amazing and we had an amazing time. They weren't bragging at all. They were happy to let us see the suite just in case any of us would like to book it for a future cruise one day. ;)

He loves to go all out and I like to save and cut back! Should we ask our CC friends to join us on our sail away or would that be bragging?

Not bragging AT ALL ~ I think it would be very nice. ALso, a great way to help you justify the increased cost. Look at it as you are getting more use out of the room!

We were on Constellation last November and someone on our board was staying in the Penthouse suite. She invited us all there for sailaway and we had a great time. It is not bragging if you invite people into your suite, then it is just being a gracious host. The PH is big but really lovely on the M class ships. I feel you only go around once in this life so go for it and enjoy. Memories last a lifetime.

Pat

Archived