Back to Pronouncing Oceania

Mura

I tried to find the original thread to add to it but gave up at page 11 ...

I think the question may have been OFFICIALLY answered (although I'm sure some of you will disagree).

This evening (10/3/11) Wheel of Fortune had a special gift -- a Mediterranean cruise on Marina. The announcer called the cruiseline: OCEANA. Not OCEAN-I-A.

So there you have it!

For the record, the prize was valued at $10,000 so I don't imagine the winner would have been in a suite.

Mura

...yes he did, and FDR very clearly says Oh-shee-anna...which is what they also say in all of their video presentations that anyone can watch on Youtube...

...so if that's how the company refers to itself, why the issue? As I recall they had to add the 'i' because of the P&O ship named 'Oceana'...

cheers,;)

the Imagineer

I seriously doubt the announcer called Oceania to see what the preferred pronunciation is!

I was just pleased because we always call it "Oceania" without the "I-a"!

As I said in the original thread, on our first Oceania cruise the tour guide (an Oceania person) on a ship's tour -- we were in between two B2B cruises -- insisted the name was Ocean-I-a. But since then most of the personnel we've encountered seem to say Oceana ...

So this is probably a dispute that will never be settled!

But I did get a kick out of hearing that announcer pronounce the name the way I do. For the record, no one won the prize ...

Mura

...yes he did, and FDR very clearly says Oh-shee-anna...which is what they also say in all of their video presentations that anyone can watch on Youtube...

...so if that's how the company refers to itself, why the issue? As I recall they had to add the 'i' because of the P&O ship named 'Oceana'...

cheers,;)

the Imagineer

Ooops, I don't really think it's an ISSUE.

People have been curious about the "correct" pronunciation, and many of us hear it differently. That's all.

I'm willing to go along with FDR's pronunciation, it just feels wrong to me. I guess because we were around when they wanted the name to be Oceana. So we didn't change the way we pronounced it when the spelling changed. (By "we" I do not mean "everybody"!)

Mura

Great thread!

JimandStan are (is?) correct - LOL

No way the "i" can be silent under any rules of English.

I think we should forget using the name of the cruise line and just stick to the names of the ships -- of course there are those who confuse Marina with Mariner (and god forbid Mariner of the Seas)

And Duke Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski pronounces "Krzyzewski" "Sha-shef-skee"...there's no way under any rules of any pronunciation that this is even close!

FDR pronounces it O-she-a-na...I have heard this straight from him. And, as far as I am concerned, it is up to HIM...he named it...

Yes, I can confirm the story is that they had a trademark issue with "Oceana", the original choice of spelling

But, whatever pronunciation the geographical region of Oceania may have, the cruise line Oceania is pronounced "O-she-a-na"...

Just ask Frank...or Coach Shashefsky...

:D

As a former trademark attorney I can tell you that if they had an actual problem with Oceana and changed the spelling but not the pronunciation they still have a trademark problem. (in theory -- after all this time laches would apply).

I like calling it "O" - not to be confused with Overstock, of course.

As a former trademark attorney I can tell you that if they had an actual problem with Oceana and changed the spelling but not the pronunciation they still have a trademark problem. (in theory -- after all this time laches would apply).

I like calling it "O" - not to be confused with Overstock, of course.

And the O's have it!

Ding Ding Ding, we have a Winner!

You had to remind me of the "Big O" martinis!!!! Are they the best or what???? I miss them along with the wonderful service we received on Nautica - Athens - Istanbul cruise.

Oh Aung....would you please bring a burger from WAVES for lunch in the cabana?

Archived