Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

This will be our first trip with Viking. And we are booked on the (Day 1) August 25th, 2015 Imperial Jewels of China Beijing to Shanghai trip; (we know it is a long way off). . and have some questions we are interesting to knowing.

1) We have a forced layover day that we will get us into Beijing on August 24th. Does Viking offer any optional tours (at a cost) that we can use to tour the temple or heaven/or possibly the summer palace on august 25th? Or do the hotels arrange these options? use a cab? or should we look online for options?

2) We choose to fly independently into the LAX gateway and use viking air to Beijing and return us from Shanghai(we do not register for viking custom air) Based on past experiences, does viking normally choose non-stop connections from/into LAX (using China Air)? Or is there a better gateway to choose (either San Francisco or Seattle) that would ensure we have a non-stop international trip?

3) Any suggestions of meal options we should use on August 25th? Does Viking provide any meal options at a cost? If not, so we just wait and be dependent on which hotel we end up in Beijing?

My sister and I are on the July 7th tour arriving on July 5th we are staying at the same hotels as Bruin Steve: Beijing Ritz Carlton Financial Street,

Xi'an: Hilton Shanghai: Shangri-la Jing'An. Due our early arrival we have booked two tours July 6 & 7th with www.tour-beijing.com my physiotherapist highly recommended this company - they have many packaged tours but we had one tailored specifically for us: 1) Panjiayuan (Dirt) Market + Wangfuijing Street Market 2) Lama Temple + Temple of Heaven. Both tours include driver, english speaking guide, no forced shopping stops, lunch, and entrance fees $380 US. If you are staying at the Ritz Carlton Financial street there is a mall next door that many reviewers on Tipadvisor has a food courts that has great food and reasonable prices.

This will be our first trip with Viking. And we are booked on the (Day 1) August 25th, 2015 Imperial Jewels of China Beijing to Shanghai trip; (we know it is a long way off). . and have some questions we are interesting to knowing.

1) We have a forced layover day that we will get us into Beijing on August 24th. Does Viking offer any optional tours (at a cost) that we can use to tour the temple or heaven/or possibly the summer palace on august 25th? Or do the hotels arrange these options? use a cab? or should we look online for options?

2) We choose to fly independently into the LAX gateway and use viking air to Beijing and return us from Shanghai(we do not register for viking custom air) Based on past experiences, does viking normally choose non-stop connections from/into LAX (using China Air)? Or is there a better gateway to choose (either San Francisco or Seattle) that would ensure we have a non-stop international trip?

3) Any suggestions of meal options we should use on August 25th? Does Viking provide any meal options at a cost? If not, so we just wait and be dependent on which hotel we end up in Beijing?

Based on our experience three years ago:

1) Viking does not offer anything for those arriving early. Beijing is not hard to navigate on your own by subway and/or taxi, but with only one day there, you should consider a private guide to maximize the day. (Scroll up to post 2969 and you'll see a link to my summary of what we did on our own in Beijing, as well as contact info for a guide we highly recommend, Sunflower Lee. Others on here have used her more recently and praised her as well.)

2) I don't think anyone can ensure that you will have a non-stop trip using Viking Air. But you can increase the likelihood of getting the flights you want by paying for Custom Air. This is a pretty expensive trip, why nickel and dime yourself over that relatively small fee?

3) While I think you'll be too tired for a good meal on Aug. 24, I think you'll be up for one on Aug. 25 (we certainly were on our second night). I would use that night to eat at one of the well-known Peking Duck restaurants, or Black Sesame Kitchen if they are back in business. (Again, see my link above.)

Based on our experience three years ago:

2) I don't think anyone can ensure that you will have a non-stop trip using Viking Air. But you can increase the likelihood of getting the flights you want by paying for Custom Air. This is a pretty expensive trip, why nickel and dime yourself over that relatively small fee?

)

Okay, here is something that Turtles and I agree on: if you are particular about your flights, pay the $100 per couple and get some say in the matter. You might not get exactly what you want but you can guarantee that you won't be the one stuck with a layover in Japan or Hong Kong or wherever and you won't be the one leaving the hotel before dawn to catch a flight home (And to me, that is even worse than a layover). The Custom Air fee is nothing compared to the peace of mind --and how much you have already paid for the trip.

Remember that Custom Air does not mean that you can choose which ever flights you want at the Viking price. Custom Air means that you can choose from among the options that Viking offers at the Viking price.

Also, systables, you don't mention where you are starting from, but there are other gateway cities with direct flights to Beijing, such as Chicago, Toronto, Dulles, Newark. Since the flights take a polar route from these cities, depending on where you live, flying to the LA, San Fran or Seattle may not be the optimum routing--optimum as in shorter flight time.

Before you talk with Custom Air, check out options using one of the big travel websites.

Okay, here is something that Turtles and I agree on: if you are particular about your flights, pay the $100 per couple and get some say in the matter. You might not get exactly what you want but you can guarantee that you won't be the one stuck with a layover in Japan or Hong Kong or wherever and you won't be the one leaving the hotel before dawn to catch a flight home (And to me, that is even worse than a layover). The Custom Air fee is nothing compared to the peace of mind --and how much you have already paid for the trip.

Remember that Custom Air does not mean that you can choose which ever flights you want at the Viking price. Custom Air means that you can choose from among the options that Viking offers at the Viking price.

Also, systables, you don't mention where you are starting from, but there are other gateway cities with direct flights to Beijing, such as Chicago, Toronto, Dulles, Newark. Since the flights take a polar route from these cities, depending on where you live, flying to the LA, San Fran or Seattle may not be the optimum routing--optimum as in shorter flight time.

Before you talk with Custom Air, check out options using one of the big travel websites.

I agree about using their Custom Air. We were glad we did. When we booked the trip we told them we'd fly out of Chicago (though we live in Ohio). We figured that would give us a direct flight and we drive up there the night ahead. When we called them to arrange our flights they had us booked on a flight from Chicago to Detroit and from there to Shanghai. Luckily we had the custom air so were able to change it to a direct flight from Chicago that left about 11 am meaning we wouldn't be flying all night which was a big bonus for me since i don't sleep on planes. We did have to pay the difference in the flight (as well as the custom air charge we'd already paid) but it was only $125 so well worth it to us. We heard of people on our trip that had to fly from LAX to somewhere in Canada first. So don't assume you'll get direct flights even from the big cities without the custom air option.

Edited by SharonN

Not using custom air, we were booked Houston-Chicago-Shanghai and on return Beijing-Chicago-Houston.

To us the routing was fine, but the problem was the airline had just been given landing rights in China and the actual schedule was not known.

When the schedule was known and given to us, the return left Beijing at 4:50 PM which seemed very nice to us.

However, three days later the airline had to switch the departure time to before 8 AM which meant we had to leave the hotel about 4:30 AM before breakfast (and without adequate sleep) although the Viking brochure said "After breakfast, check out of your hotel and we will take you to the airport for your return flight." Also, there would be a 13 hour connecting time in Chicago before continuing on to Houston, enough time to fly back to Beijing.

Since there were later alternatives, I contacted Viking and was told that although the flight from Chicago to Houston could be changed to only have a four hour connection, that to change to a later departure time from Beijing would cost $947 a person. Spending $1894 to be able to sleep to a reasonable time did seem excessive to us, so we did not change what Viking had set up.

They did provide a box breakfast from the hotel to eat on the way to the airport. We could not wait to eat it until later as the juice would not have been allowed through airport security.

Not using custom air, we were booked Houston-Chicago-Shanghai and on return Beijing-Chicago-Houston.

To us the routing was fine, but the problem was the airline had just been given landing rights in China and the actual schedule was not known.

When the schedule was known and given to us, the return left Beijing at 4:50 PM which seemed very nice to us.

However, three days later the airline had to switch the departure time to before 8 AM which meant we had to leave the hotel about 4:30 AM before breakfast (and without adequate sleep) although the Viking brochure said "After breakfast, check out of your hotel and we will take you to the airport for your return flight." Also, there would be a 13 hour connecting time in Chicago before continuing on to Houston, enough time to fly back to Beijing.

Since there were later alternatives, I contacted Viking and was told that although the flight from Chicago to Houston could be changed to only have a four hour connection, that to change to a later departure time from Beijing would cost $947 a person. Spending $1894 to be able to sleep to a reasonable time did seem excessive to us, so we did not change what Viking had set up.

They did provide a box breakfast from the hotel to eat on the way to the airport. We could not wait to eat it until later as the juice would not have been allowed through airport security.

Yeah, the only thing I don't like about the air assignments we got (Viking-no custom air) is that our return flight home requires us to depart Hong Kong at 8:30 am (connection through Beijing with 2:05 layover)... I figure we'll sleep on the plane (yeah, sure)... And, at least well get home at 11:00 am...

This last summer, returning from Rome, we had an early morning flight on AA, changing in Chicago on the way back to LAX...had to wake up and get out of the hotel by 6:30 but figured we'd go to sleep at a reasonable time and no problem...Unfortunately, our Rome-Chicago flight got delayed...and delayed and so on...and the diligent folks at AA called my cell phone every time they came up with a new estimated departure time...IOW, the phone rang at 3:00 am...at 3:20 am...at 3:40 am...at 4:00 am...Finally, I realized not only that I wasn't going to get that good night's sleep but also that no way we were going to make that connection in Chicago...So, I got on the phone and managed to scramble for a later connection...lucky I was awake at 4:00 am--we snagged the last two spots on that later Chicago-LAX flight...

Sorry about my earlier mistake Steve.

Based upon the feedback from this forum, we did add viking custom air to our original booking. And we now plan to book a 4 hour independent tour to either the summer palace or temple of heaven much closer to our trip:-) but our layover day of Aug 25th, 2015 is still a long way off..

In the meantime we will read and learn from the posts of others.

Thanks to all . Keep the info flowing. D&L

Another quick question

Other than the Grand Hyatt, are there any other hotel recommendations for Beijing ? Anyone stayed at any of the marriotts ? I am platinum and get upgrades and lounge Access or I can stay for free with points

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by pacheco18

Another quick question

Other than the Grand Hyatt, are there any other hotel recommendations for Beijing ? Anyone stayed at any of the marriotts ? I am platinum and get upgrades and lounge Access or I can stay for free with points

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you haven't already done so, you might search on the Ports of Call/Asia board, and also post the question there. (And of course check Trip Advisor, although I trust CC more.)

Thank you all for bearing with me as I write what I'm about to write...It is all a bit difficult for me.

We were starting to get a bit worried we would have to cancel our trip...

Sad story either way, but, the issue was that my 87 year old mother was in extremely declining health. She passed away yesterday morning. Twice in the past several years, we've had to cut short our big summer vacations and fly home early due to a death in the family. When my father unexpectedly passed away a few years back, we were on a cruise just off Panama at the time. Then, when my father-in-law passed away, we were on a cruise in the Baltic between Gdansk and Helsinki. Both times we flew home early, just in time for the funerals.

Since my wife, my brother and my sister are all educators, we all schedule vacations around school vacations...So, my sister, whose school ended last Friday, and brother-in-law flew off to Israel Saturday night. We are scheduled to fly to China a week from Sunday. My brother and his family are headed to Croatia and Italy a few days after us. We all decided to maintain the vacation plans since we didn't know what was going to happen, figuring any of us, if we actually went, should be prepared to fly home at a moment's notice. Since my mother was alive but noncommunicative and nonresponsive, it may not have been necessary for all of us to be there full time...and, with a third brother around as well, there would be little time when at least two of us weren't here.

But, as her condition got worse, we were debating whether to go at all. It would have been heartbreaking not to go on this trip--we booked it and paid for it 15 months ago and have been looking forward to it a long time. And it's been a tough year...we really need the vacation. But, for the past couple of weeks, we have been vacillating on whther to go at all. So much to consider.

On the other side of the coin, it has been a tough couple of weeks. I've watched my Mom contract pneumonia (she was already in a convalescent hospital recovering from an earlier diverticulitis infection which left her bedridden and she had been suffering from Vascular Dementia for some time). After apparently recovering from the pneumonia, she stopped eating. She was on a feeding tube for a few days, then the doctors advised removing it...She had signed a DNR order earlier when she was still in control of her mental faculties and it appeared she would likely not ever recover. After the tube was removed, she was eating a little--mostly ice cream--and speaking just a few words at a time from time to time...But, over the past few days, she stopped eating and speaking altogether, then stopped communicating in any form. We pretty much knew the end was imminent.

The call came yesterday morning at 3:00 am local time. I rushed down there in the middle of the night to get the body released to the mortuary...and met yesterday with the mortuary to arrange the funeral for this Sunday at 11:30 am and take care of all the details. My sister is now en route home from Israel--quite a bit earlier than planned.

We will have the funeral Sunday, then have our traditional seven day mourning period...and then fly off to China and resume our lives as usual...

My mother would have appreciated the way it's worked out...When I first told her about our China trip, she said "I want to go"...Of course, at that time, we knew she couldn't--already 86 years old with issues from two strokes, heart surgery and a pacemaker, advancing dementia and mobility problems. But she'd never been to China. She had gotten her chance to travel a bit though. Earlier in life, while growing up a poor kid in the Bronx, NY, daughter of immigrants, she experienced very little travel outside the city...As a young married woman, she was too busy raising four children and then, along with my Dad, working hard to put us all through college AND graduate schools.

Finally, after all the kids were through school and the finances a little less difficult, my parents finally started to travel a bit. They went to Australia acouple of times, to Israel, to Mexico, to Spain and Portugal, on a South Pacific cruise, on a Baltic cruise, to St. Maarten a few times. Just before my father passed away, my siblings and I sent them (along with my aunt and uncle, my mom's cousin and her significant other and a couple of long-time friends) on a luxury trip via private jet (my brother owned one) to Rome, Florence, Venice, Brussels and London (a lot of it spent visiting my Mom's family in Belgium and London)...The last great travel adventure for my parents...

Since my father's passing, we have taken my Mom to New York and my sister took her with them on a Caribbean cruise a few years back now. For her 85th Birthday, the whole family took her to Las Vegas for a long weekend--the last trip she ever took...

She was a great lady and we will miss her dearly...

When I return from China, I will probably be a bit saddened that I won't be bringing my photos to her for her to enjoy. She would have enjoyed at least visiting China vicariously through me...

Ten days to go...but a tough ten days...

Thank you all for bearing with me as I write what I'm about to write...It is all a bit difficult for me.

So sorry to hear of your mother's passing.

The upcoming trip will be a good opportunity to recover from the recent stress as well as being the vacation you were looking forward to.

Steve, I am so very sorry for your loss; my prayers and sympathies to you and to your family.

Your post has literally brought tears to my eyes. I think your mom will be watching over your trip to China.

May her memory be a blessing.

Thank you for sharing Steve...can feel your loss and your love for your darling mother. Go and enjoy...she would not expect anything less. I shall look forward to your posts. We leave Sept 30 for Roof of the World.

Regards,

Lynne (Lola)

I called Viking again today at the regular number rather than the air number, and spoke with a person who was able to give me a little more information than just the "not yet" I heard from Air a few days ago. Rather than the 330 days that most major airlines use, Viking won't book until 310 days (and from the return leg, obviously), so it's early June for us. Their system won't even show flights to the agents earlier than that. The savings are substantial enough that we will wait. Yes, I know every seat arrives at the same time, but for a trip that long, we want to be as comfortable as possible (and that we can afford). :)

It is now june, were you successful Live4cruises in booking the choice flight you wanted? Was it a direct flight? And did you have to pay a premium for your flight? And were you able to get seat assignments?

Would appreciate sharing your experience. Thanks

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forums mobile app

We booked on Saturday! We didn't come away with what I thought we would, but it was all our choice. We picked a flight that has one more connection than could have been had, but total travel time, and most importantly the time for the "long jump" were minimized. The flight from San Francisco is "only" 12 hours.

Some other plusses: We arrive about 4:30 in the afternoon AND we get the forced overnight. Our total travel time is 18 hours, so there is a possibility that we can hit the bed on the early side and not be TOO jet lagged on our first morning. There was no up-charge, even though the return flight we selected showed $200 more than the least expensive on United's website. We did pay the $50/each Custom Air charge. We'll probably also pay for Coach Plus (or whatever it's called) for the long jump both ways. We've got miles with several carriers, but unfortunately only status with Southwest, and they don't fly where we need to go!

Since we booked on the weekend (I think that's the reason), we have a confirmation number and can see and move seats around on United website's, but we can't yet purchase premium seating, until we're ticketed. If the final booking doesn't show up in a couple of days, I'll check again.

We've been pleased with the service and the pricing. I'll post back when it's all official.

We'll probably also pay for Coach Plus (or whatever it's called) for the long jump both ways. We've got miles with several carriers, but unfortunately only status with Southwest, and they don't fly where we need to go!

Since we booked on the weekend (I think that's the reason), we have a confirmation number and can see and move seats around on United website's, but we can't yet purchase premium seating, until we're ticketed. If the final booking doesn't show up in a couple of days, I'll check again.

We've been pleased with the service and the pricing. I'll post back when it's all official.

Glad you are happy with what you picked. On United, "Economy Plus" is the "extra charge" part of Economy and gets you more leg room. For a long haul flight, I think it's a "must." I also think it's outrageous that airlines have made their planes into cramped cattle cars in which no one should have to fly for hours on end, but that's another story. (And that's how they get us to pay for a few more inches of leg room.)

Before you pick your actual seats, take a look at seatguru.com, a good resource for letting you know the good and bad seats on your specific type of plane. (Apologies if you already know to do this.) And even when you have everything all booked, keep checking your reservation on the airlines' web sites; airlines change the equipment frequently, and your seats, and don't necessarily notify you.

Thanks for the update. We wont be able to select our flights until the end of October (310 days out). We live near Atlanta but we figured we would fly to the west coast (LAX) a day early than our viking arranged flight. This saved us dollars since we hope to fly domestic on frequent flyer tickets,and then allow us to get better acclimated to China time with an extra hotel stay in LA; (We also have a layover day in Beijing). So we plan to use custom air to get a none stop from LAX to Beijing, and a none stop return from Shanghai to LAX.

But if things does not work out, we would be willing to go to a better gateway for a direct international flight . So only time will tell if custom air works out for us. Let us know how the seats arrangements work out. Thanks again.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forums mobile app

Our 2015 schedule is slammed, but we have the Viking tour that also visits Tibet down as a must in 2016. Seems so far out. Our biggest disappointment is that we always go in early and wish Viking did a pre cruise package in Bejing. Guess we'll figure out tours to the Wall and many of the sights ourselves, before the Viking portion kicks in. Maybe by May 2016 Viking will step us with a pre tour, or maybe it's all politics! :eek:

We will do this business air. Coming from east of the Mississippi just adds to the length of the flight (and jet lag) for us.

I will be interested in seeing how well United deals with your attempts to move seats and upgrade to Premium Economy! On our last trip using O air, United would not allow us to move around our seats on the system. We were instructed to go back to O, which sent us back through our TA, to make the requested.

The issue came up that the bulk fare price of the ticket (and thus ticket class) was so low, that to upgrade to PE was almost as much as the original ticket price. Seems to me that the normal price (for that flight) with an economy ticket to upgrade to a PE seat was around $129, however with the bulk K? class ticket it was $900.

It will be interesting to learn how your adventure goes with the seating and flights utilizing Viking tickets. Thanks!

I will be interested in seeing how well United deals with your attempts to move seats and upgrade to Premium Economy! On our last trip using O air, United would not allow us to move around our seats on the system. We were instructed to go back to O, which sent us back through our TA, to make the requested.

The issue came up that the bulk fare price of the ticket (and thus ticket class) was so low, that to upgrade to PE was almost as much as the original ticket price. Seems to me that the normal price (for that flight) with an economy ticket to upgrade to a PE seat was around $129, however with the bulk K? class ticket it was $900.

It will be interesting to learn how your adventure goes with the seating and flights utilizing Viking tickets. Thanks!

Yes, I will be interested how things go also. There are so many conflicting reports as to what the possibilities might be. We are on April 17, 2015 Imperial Jewels, so with custom air we will be able to book around June 23 (310 days out). If it will not be possible to upgrade to Premium economy for the standard $129, then it makes no sense to book the air thru Viking, as we could book direct with United for around the same cost, and do the $129 upgrade ourselves. Or better than that, $600pp and 30,000 miles to upgrade to Business First. We would have to supply our own transfer from the airport, and pay for the forced overnight hotel, but it would still be substantially more cost effective than using the Viking air.

Mike