Currency, USD / Euro / Lira

blindrid

Good day:

Long story short, coming from the Denver CO area -taking cruise starting at Athens, 1 1/2 days in Istanbul, 1/2 day in Kusadasi, 1/2 day in Crete and the balance in Greek isles.

I don't want to mess with various currencies if I can avoid it.

Do you truly need Lira in Turkey?

Do you truly need Euros in Greece?

Does anywhere accept USD (which I seriously doubt)?

We are hiring a private guide/tour in Istanbul and Kusadasi. The operator is quoting USD$. I'm speculating she is doing that for ease but needs Euros at time of tour.

Any suggestions will work as I'm trying to make life as simple as possible :). One of my pet peeves is getting home with foreign currency which is of no value to me in the U.S. - not enough to exhange but enough not to keep.

Thanks to all.

In a word, yes. You are going to need the currencies of the countries you are visiting.

While you may be able to find a few that accept USD, you indicate that you are spending 2 days in Turkey and several in Greece. So, unless you plan to spend zero or make major purchases using your credit card, I don't think you'll be able to get by with not acquiring at least a small amount of the 'coin of the realm.'

Thank you.

I was planning on exchanging about $1,000 in Euros to get us going and not sure even how many Lira to buy. I'm not trying to get away with no local currency just don't want to buy too much toward the tale end of my trip.

Other than entrance fees you do NOT need Turkish Lira in Turkey. You can use, USA, Euros or British Pounds.

In Greece you should get Euros. Some small shops will take USA currency but in general USA currency is not taken. So, go with Euros.

Keith

Turkey - we used the ATM right outside the port exit in Istanbul to get $200.00 US in Turkish lira. We did Istanbul DIY (tram and walking) so needed lira for tram and entrance fees to all sites. We paid for shopping and lunch with a Mastercard. We used the rest (after 2 days in Istanbul) in Kusadasi. Mostly for some souvenier shopping in Sirince. Don't remember bringing any home. Ask your tour guide if entrance fees are included in your tour price !

Greece - (Crete is also a Greek island BTW :D) you will need euros or a credit card. Credit cards will be charged in euros but they will automatically convert on your statement. We got great conversions this way.

I would check your private tour arrangements and make sure how they want to be paid. We have had some want euro cash only, others take credit card and some will take anything :eek:

The easiest way is to get euros from ATMs once there...... but there will be a limit for each withdrawal. Our upcoming trip (next month) I bought euros from my bank for the first time since we have rented an apartment in Rome and they want cash euros at check in.....plus deposit. And other expenses right off the plane.....so don't have to hassle with it.

Good day:

We are hiring a private guide/tour in Istanbul and Kusadasi. The operator is quoting USD$. I'm speculating she is doing that for ease but needs Euros at time of tour.

quote]

I would assume if she's quoted the price in dollars, she will take dollars. I can't see any reason why she would want euros, she'd only have to change them into Turkish lira the same as she will with the dollars.

Thank you.

I was planning on exchanging about $1,000 in Euros to get us going and not sure even how many Lira to buy. I'm not trying to get away with no local currency just don't want to buy too much toward the tale end of my trip.

Why so much? Use the ATMs that are everywhere, or use your CC. Get a Capital One card since they don't charge any foreign transaction fess and then you don't have to worry about extra money at home, and you get a better exchange rate.

Why so much? Use the ATMs that are everywhere, or use your CC. Get a Capital One card since they don't charge any foreign transaction fess and then you don't have to worry about extra money at home, and you get a better exchange rate.

So if I get a Capitol One CC to use I don't need to go to the ATM's in Europe/Greece and I won't be charged any fees?

Thank you.

So if I get a Capitol One CC to use I don't need to go to the ATM's in Europe/Greece and I won't be charged any fees?

Thank you.

No, you would use the capital one card IN THE ATM's to get euros, and incur no foreign transactions fees to do so. Also you can use credit card for hotels, meals and shopping. MasterCard, Visa and AE are taken but don't take your Discover card as it isn't used in Europe.

No, you would use the capital one card IN THE ATM's to get euros, and incur no foreign transactions fees to do so. Also you can use credit card for hotels, meals and shopping. MasterCard, Visa and AE are taken but don't take your Discover card as it isn't used in Europe.

Thank you for the clarification!

My Capital One charges cash advance fees and 24% interest. They do not charge for credit card purchases, but cash advances are a different story. Perhaps you have a different type of card. I ordered Euros from my bank.

If you want to use an ATM machine use an ATM Card not a Credit Card. If you use a credit card to get a cash advance you will indeed pay a large interest rate. This makes no sense.

You should use a Capital One Credit Card for credit card purchases only and there is no Foreign Transaction Free.

Keith

Not always so..... We use our master card (not a Capitol one card) for both cash and purchases when we travel. If we pay the bill in full we do not pay any interest.

I think I recall you bringing this up before. While I don't doubt you, I will say that your card is a very rare exception. Every credit card I've ever had has charged you for a cash advance when you take money out of an ATM with it, and for cash advances, the interest is high and is charged starting from the time you withdraw it. There is no grace period.

Would you care to share what bank issues your MC? Not that I'd stop using my Cap One card overseas, but I might be interested in having one as a backup in the US for travel.

Not always so..... We use our master card (not a Capitol one card) for both cash and purchases when we travel. If we pay the bill in full we do not pay any interest.

As mentioned it is an exception.

Best to use ATM for cash and a credit card that does not have a foreign exchange fee (there are very few of these) for charges.

What bank master card is not charging you a fee for cash.

Keith

I saw an article recently about Chase Sapphire that is also offering free foreign exchange, similar to Cap One, but I believe I saw that it has a annual fee >$100.

Yes, it's true. As you say though, last time I checked the Chase Sapphire was $95/year whereas the Cap One has no annual fee.

Yes, it's true. As you say though, last time I checked the Chase Sapphire was $95/year whereas the Cap One has no annual fee.

I have the Chase Sapphire card and the first year is free after which there is a charge. I feel the travel points earned (much better than Capital One) are worth the fee charged.

Archived