Lost luggage at end of cruise

My husband, myself and 2 teenagers all have the same luggage. Handles have all been duct taped with different bright colors. Each suitcase has a top and a side handle and both have been done. Not only does this help for strangers but it ensures we all easily end up with our own suitcase when traveling.

Some wild duct tape colors available in small sheets at Staples.

I do the same.

I put bright yellow duct tape in the form of an X on each bag.

Absolutely no one could mistake it for theirs.

When we got off NCL's Pride of Hawaii in 2007, all luggage for anyone in suites went missing. That was fun...a ton of people filling out "Lost

Luggage" forms before leaving for the airport. There were a few couple (us included) who didn't need to catch a flight, so we stuck around for awhile. They found everything about 1.5 hours after debarkation had started.

Argh! We just got off the Freedom this past Sunday and some irresponsible idiot woman took my cabinmate's bag by mistake (she blames the porters... really? You pointed to the wrong bag and it's the porters' fault?!) and now refuses to send it back due to the cost of the cross-country trip and RCI is washing their hands of the situation! Anyone got a suggestion or two on how to handle the situation? This was my friend's first RCI cruise and this situation is not making her want to become a repeat customer!

The lady should send it back at her cost, since she essentially stole the bag. Threaten to have her arrested.

Airlines lost my luggage in July...never found it....finally got paid off for it in september, but a real hassle and several phone calls, emails, etc. it will change the way I pack forever :o. Also, the airline is not liable for the full amount of your loss...so luckily I had travel insurance also.

I had always heard it will turn up in a day it two and they would deliver it to my home...but that didn't happen. It was amazing when I had to list everything I had packed as to the number and cost of the items...most I had no receipts for. Who keeps receipts for underwear, makeup, hair products?

You are correct, stuff does happen. And I would hope that these things happen mostly to the novice traveler. Once you have been on a few cruises, or flown a few times, one should understand that someone else just might own the exact same luggage. As I stated earlier, I have removed the wrong piece from a conveyer belt, read the tag and put it back on if it was not mine. I bet the people whose luggage you took felt badly once you took them to dinner. Just goes to show you that mistakes happen and that there a decent people in this world who truly feel badly when they inconvenience someone else. Good for you for showing them you were sorry by taking them to dinner.

We were on a flight back into the Uk, and at the luggage collection belt, we thought we saw someone take our case, but it turned out about 5 different couples had bought the same cases at the sale at a big retailer the same as us ! and they all were on our flight ! - so there were 10 matching cases going around the caroselle - we all made sure we had the right ones and laughed but as soon as we got home my husband bought some fabric paint and painted the lovely white flowers that grew up the front of the case PINK ! - we know exactly which case is ours

I do the same.

I put bright yellow duct tape in the form of an X on each bag.

Absolutely no one could mistake it for theirs.

Except for all the people that read this and do exactly the same thing!:D

Enjoy

Ron

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but just went through a similar experience :( We just returned from a wonderful cruise on The Allure and had our son's luggage taken by mistake from someone at the end of the cruise in the terminal. When we found her bag still there, which looked very similar and WE contacted her, she told us WE had to pay HER to ship OUR son's bag home to us, even though she took it by mistake...we had no choice...We had already filled out the claim form to RCI and by chance my husband thought to copy the name and phone number down on the only bag still in our tag number section, which happened to look like ours'.... :(

Has never happened and isn't about to. I bought a 3 inch letter stencil of our last name "W" and stenciled them all over our cases which are black cloth with slick fabric paint. The "W"s are in Caribbean colors, hot pink, purple, blue, lime and yellow.:D It might be tacky but no one could mistake their cases for ours!:cool: It's never taken more than a few seconds to spot them in terminal.

We have the rolling duffles from LL Bean for each of us, all in the loud obnoxious prints possible. Since we bought these, finding them in a crowded, luggage filled terminal has been super easy. :p. They also collapse down to a few inches and slide easily under the bed. Their lifetime, warranty is great, we had one handle get stuck after an overseas flight, and the company replaced it for free. They're different than traditional luggage, but they work well for our family. We haven't seen any others in the terminal, so hopefully losing them to another guest isn't likely. I am going to add our info to the inside, just in case the tags tear off. That was a good lesson learned here tonight!

I know this is an old thread, but just went through a similar experience :( We just returned from a wonderful cruise on The Allure and had our son's luggage taken by mistake from someone at the end of the cruise in the terminal. When we found her bag still there, which looked very similar and WE contacted her, she told us WE had to pay HER to ship OUR son's bag home to us, even though she took it by mistake...we had no choice...We had already filled out the claim form to RCI and by chance my husband thought to copy the name and phone number down on the only bag still in our tag number section, which happened to look like ours'.... :(

A friend in college had this happen to him. A quick call to the police in the town where the luggage-taker lived to report theft and extortion cleared it up.

Have RCI put some pressure on the unreasonable woman since her bag is still in their possession. I told my friend to escalate it through RCI even though they told her there's nothing they can do so she did go back to them to ask for "advice" on how to handle this situation and RCI called the woman a couple more times and managed to talk the woman into doing what would normally be considered the right thing in these cases: the offender paid to ship the bag back to the victim. Best of luck to you!

Worse yet, the guy actually took it knowing it wasn't his, but was frustrated at not finding his quickly, and just took one!

Wait, let me get this straight, some guy got tired of waiting and just randomly took a piece of luggage? WOW, whose brain works that way? "Well, it's been 15 minutes and I have a plane to catch, this piece of luggage should do and hey, so I have no idea what is in it and all of my clothes and belongings will end up with someone else, time is money, gotta go" :eek:

HA HA HA HA HA

I've had luggage straps made with my last name printed on them that I put around all my luggage that I hand in, it comes in very handy at airports and after cruises when finding my luggage. The straps are about 2 inches thick and brightly coloured so there's really little chance of someone taking our case in error as you can't miss it.

That is what we have!! Ours are lime green in color, strap goes all the way around the luggage. No only could someone not mistake it for theirs, but it is pretty easy to spot in a sea of luggage!! The straps are fairly inexpensive.

I bought a roll of HOT PINK duct tape at the dollar store and made a big floppy tag on the handle of my luggage, kind of like a ribbon dangling off.

It only cost me a buck, I had TONS of extra tape left over, and I don't need to remember to bring it or fasten it, worry about it slipping off, blah blah blah.

Easiest baggage claim at the airport I've ever had!

Archived