What is the check in and embarkment process like?

CatieLadie

DH and I will be setting sail on our honeymoon cruise in a week from today (NCL Gem out of NY). This is a first for both of us so we're unfamiliar with the whole check in and embarkment process. We've already done our online check in and have all of the cruise paperwork printed.

What should we expect when we get to the port? We'll be taking a cruise express shuttle down which supposedly drops us off right there.

What should we have readily available? Obviously our tickets and passports but is there anything else?

What is security like? I'm not a fan of people riffling through my things so I'm hoping it goes smoothly for us.

We plan to bring some wine on board. Would it be best to to pack it in our carry ons or checked luggage?

Any help is appreciated.

Any beverages must be in carry-on baggage. When your shuttle drops you off, hand your bags to be checked to the porters, and give a little tip, $1-2/bag. Grab your carry-ons and head for security, which will be much like airport security. Have your boarding pass, ID/passport handy. After security, you will be directed to the check-in area, where you will also need your credit card, or method of payment. Once checked, head on board. EM

DH and I will be setting sail on our honeymoon cruise in a week from today (NCL Gem out of NY). This is a first for both of us so we're unfamiliar with the whole check in and embarkment process. We've already done our online check in and have all of the cruise paperwork printed.

What should we expect when we get to the port? We'll be taking a cruise express shuttle down which supposedly drops us off right there.

You should be dropped right at the terminal, just give your check bags (luggage tagged) to the porter.

What should we have readily available? Obviously our tickets and passports but is there anything else?

Your credit car for shipboard charges.

What is security like? I'm not a fan of people riffling through my things so I'm hoping it goes smoothly for us.

It is very rare that anyone would want to go through your bags except for the wnie to collect the corkage fee.

We plan to bring some wine on board. Would it be best to to pack it in our carry ons or checked luggage?

Carry-on is safest to avoid breakage, red wine and clothes don't mix well.

Any help is appreciated.

Do go to the NCL question though to get more info.

Happy cruising

It's easy but can involve waiting... and more waiting, it just depends on when other people arrive. As has been said, your non-carry on luggage is handed over to the porters. they will see it through security and have it delivered to your cabin.

Once inside the terminal you'll have to fill out some other forms so have a pen available. But if you just accept there may be a wait, it's easy.

As said, a pen. Maybe a book or kindle.

The really confusing thing to me the first time was "what happens once we're on board?" You can't necessarily go to your cabin right away. And your luggage wont arrive until later anyway - so you need to be self sufficient and hopefully mobile when you get on board. Which argues in favor not carrying on the wine.

Food is available and what we usually do is go to the Lido Deck where the pool is and find a nice seat, have a drink and something to eat and watch the people coming on board.

Since you're new to cruising, if you don't have a lot of carry on you could use the time to start exploring the ship.

But do realize that you may not be able to get into your cabin and your luggage (except carry on) may not arrive 4 or 5.

alot prefer to go to the MDR that is open for lunch instead of the buffet so if you want to just relax and avoid the "buffet" experience now head to the MDR--just ask when you get onboard which one is open and they will direct you.

i would suggest you having a carry-on..one for your wine that you have to pay corkage fee on and other is that you want your valuables-jewelry etc with you and maybe your swimsuit or change of clothes in case you have to wait for your bags (dont arrive before dinner) happens sometimes.

we always have carry-ons with us with valuables etc and a few days worth of clothes to get by with in case something happens to our luggage.

your wait can depend on alot of things...time you get there, how many passengers are waiting, if the passengers disembarking got off in time

just all depends so just be patient.

At embarkation, after security, you will be handed a short health form. Questions about how you feel, and if you have been sneezing, etc. Designed to keep sick people off the ship. (Think swine flu epidemic.) They make you fill it out and hand it back before they check you in.

Hello,

All of the posters have given you excellent advice. I will add here...just keep cool and go with the flow. Smile when they take your picture. Be patient as you may have to wait and stand in line for longer than you think is reasonable.

When you meet your cabin stewards, smile and shake hands. Tell him or her that you are on a honeymoon cruise. If you have any special requests like more towels or more pillows or an extra blanket tell the cabin steward, but give them some time as embarkation is a very busy time for them. And remember a smile and kind words go a long way in the cruise world.

Your luggage will be delivered to your cabin but if you are missing a bag do not hesitate to ask the cabin steward or ask the Purser's office to check for you.

Thanks so much! Seems pretty painless but I always stress about the unknown.

Question... I've read that suite passengers get priority boarding. We're booked in a mini suite so do we fall in the same category?

No...mini suites are not full suites and don't get any of the suite benefits. A mini suite would be more accurately described as a deluxe balcony cabin.

If I can make a suggestion...if you have any NCL-specific questions like this, you should post them on the NCL board.

In the terminal you need ticket, passport and CREDIT CARD!

Whats the credit card for? Just for added security or are they going to try to charge something? The cruise is paid in full and we’re planning on paying cash for as much of our on board account as possible.

Does the card need to be the same one that was used to pay for the cruise?

Whats the credit card for? Just for added security or are they going to try to charge something? The cruise is paid in full and we’re planning on paying cash for as much of our on board account as possible.

Does the card need to be the same one that was used to pay for the cruise?

If you are paying for your on board expenses in cash, you won't need to present a credit card, but you will have to make a cash deposit at the start to establish your account.

Archived